Welcome To The Slimming Section
Losing weight and toning up in Dubai is of a great concern to many women. We can try and eat healthier and take more exercise but we all seem to have our areas of weakness where we just can't shake the inches and pounds. Don't worry- help is at hand! We've got some great slimming treatments on offer for you and lots of information about the options open to you. You'll be looking and feeling thinner v. soon!
Slimming News & Features
Essential Salon LPG Offer
LPG Slimming Sessions, Just 1,500 Dhs for 10 sessions
Come to Essentials for Endermologie treatment – the effective cellulite reduction treatment, using our new LPG machine. Endermologie is now the number one treatment for cellulite reduction in the world. Find Out More>>
Treatment Review: Ultrasound Cavitation at EuroMed Clinic
The basic principle in laywomen’s terms is that the ultrasound cavitation (The formation of an empty space within a solid object or body) breaks down the fat cells under the skin and the fatty acids drain away through your lymphatic system, into your kidneys and out of your body through urine and sweat.Rebecca Treston works out of the new Euromed clinic on Beach Road. Eireen, Rebecca’s assistant talked me through the process and measured me in 3 points around my midriff, she marked the measured area with pen. Eireen started with me on my side and proceeded to work on the “love handles” area. It is a funny feeling, a bit warm and a bit tingly, but really quite pleasant. Because ProSlimelt uses ultrasound, you can hear the vibrations in your ears, but no one else can hear them, quite strange… Read More>>
ExpatWoman's Quick Guide to Dieting
Losing weight is a long term plan- it’s a lifestyle change over to healthy eating and some exercise- that’s as simple as it gets really. It is nice to have things packaged up for you and plans to follow etc. but unless you change what you eat, the way you live, how much exercise you take nothing is going to be permanent. If you want to lose weight you need to eat a nutritionally balanced and varied diet with appropriately sized portions and burn off more calories that you consume. Anything which offers rapid weight loss is a short term potentially dangerous fix or a scam.Successful weight loss is hard work and takes time. Learning how to lose weight is the easy part, but the hard part is finding a solid reason to get started and then following through. It takes a sustained physical and mental effort. In summary- eat fewer calories, make better choices and move a bit more. Weight loss is not a product that can be purchased!
Ten Top Tips for Dieting in Dubai
1. No more take aways- we know, we know- it’s so easy to pick up the phone to Pizza Hut- you’re tired!! This is where your Dubai stone has come from! Delete all numbers, throw away all menus and fill the fridge with healthy stuff!
2. Get moving- and we are not talking about exercise classes here- what we are lacking in Dubai is the many, many foot steps we would normally take walking in our home countries! So park further away than you need to and walk to your destination, walk to the local shops, use the stairs in buildings instead of the lift, go the long way round the mall or do an extra lap- it will make a difference to our somewhat sedentary lifestyle!
3. Do some proper exercise- whatever your age, shape, size there is something you can do to get some proper exercise and get that heart rate pumping- Dubai is full of gyms, exercise classes, groups, sports teams, personal trainers, boot camps- the list is endless- find something that suits you and get out there- or pop in an exercise DVD and jumping jack your way across your front room!
4. Lose the latte- we are a bit of a coffee shop culture here- all those moccachoccafrapucinnos add up you know! Switch over to tea and try to cut down how much sugar you put in and have it black if you can face it. And do not order the muffin on the side!
5. Be careful at brunch- we are probably eating a whole week’s calories at brunch! Really moderate yourself- make a conscious effort to choose the healthy options available...sneaky tip- have breakfast before you go so you are not in a food frenxy when you get there!
6. Experiment with fresh stuff- we are so lucky to have fruit and veggies from all around the world available to us here in the supermarkets- have fun with it- fill your fridge with wierd and wonderful fresh produce and google how to prepare it.
7. Water, water, water- we need to keep hydrated here anyway due to the extreme temperatures so make sure you are drinking at least 1.5 litres per day.
8. Have some goals- sign up for some of the charity marathons, walkathons and fun walks- there are many throughout the year and you don’t have to run- you can walk. This will give you an aim to get fitter and encourage you to get off your butt whilst doing some good for charity.
9. Don’t be obsessed with the scales- if you look at your diet as being a healthy eating plan instead of a slow moving obsession with numbers it will be better for you in the long run. You will be able to see and feel the changes of your healthy lifestyle- you’ll start to look slimmer and feel fitter.
10. Get support- it’s hard to do this on your own and good to have someone to talk to about it- come along to our ExpatWoman Coffee Mornings and you are sure to meet like minded new friends who will offer support and stop you ordering that double choc chip muffin!
How to Choose a Weight Loss Plan
When choosing a diet plan, be very cautious of diet programs that have any of the following six characteristics:
- They do not include an exercise regimen in the program.
- They leave out one of the major food groups e.g. No carb diets.
- They are calorie restrictive, meaning fewer than 1200 kcal per day.
- They make “fast” or “quick” weight loss claims.
- They make judgments about certain foods and label foods as being “bad” and prohibit their consumption.
- They make no mention of behaviour and/or lifestyle modification.
Popular Diet Programs
If you’re resolving to lose weight, you’re probably researching the best diets and which is right for you. There are some wierd and wacky celebrity diets out there which we really don't advise you to follow- most of them are a very quick fix and not sustainable in the real world!
We take a look at the more sensible diet programs out there for you including Weight Watchers, Jillian Michaels and more. It is great to have a plan to follow but as with all weight loss- you need to combine healthy eating with regular exercise and you will see a difference. You need to achieve a healthy balance and approach. Read More>>