Forum Rules: Updated February 2nd 2013
What the Information Board is for:
Our primary intention for these information boards has been the same for the past ten years… to provide a welcoming, friendly forum for newcomers and residents to share information about living in the region.
It is not a chatboard, although if threads are interesting, informative and relevant to expats living here, we are happy to leave them. The boards are fast-moving and we do not debate the pros and cons of deleting particular threads. As you use the boards you’ll get the feel of the tone we are looking for and it will either work for you or it won’t.
We delete posts that are considered to be offensive, and will ban members who are abusive or who repeatedly post in contravention of the rules of the board or go out of their way to be difficult. We will not enter into debate about why posts or threads have been removed or why a user profile has been deactivated.
We’re a great resource and by following the rules you’ll have a great experience on our boards- we hope you find the answers you’re looking for.
Rules to follow:
- We'd really appreciate it if you'd use the same courtesy when posting messages on the board as you would use when speaking to someone face-to-face. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
- This is an English language forum so please post in English. The occasional word or phrase in another language is usually acceptable, if it is commonly understood. Not all users have English as their first language so please take this into account when reading posts.
- Political and religious discussions can be interesting but can be difficult to moderate, and often degenerate into arguments and personal attacks. For that reason, such discussions are not encouraged. This forum is primarily intended to provide useful information for residents and future residents on living in the region.
- Members are requested not to post personal details of anyone, including their own, for example email addresses, real names, telephone numbers, real addresses, work location, PO Boxes, etc. Email addresses should not be posted for the additional reason that they are picked up by email collecting robots which collect them to be spammed or similar.
- We have no problem with people posting the odd link to other sites that other posters might find useful or helpful in reference to a direct query if the information cannot already be found on ExpatWoman. Please do not post links just for the sake of posting a link, or if the intention is to promote your business or that of your friend, or attract traffic to your website/ blog/ forum/ facebook group etc. We are not a link directory.
- Please do not arrange meet ups through the information board. ExpatWoman.com organise many fabulous events for a wide range of interest groups every week. If you would like to meet a poster please arrange to meet them at one of our organised events- for safety reasons- the internet is an anonymous place and personal safety should always be taken into consideration. Visit here to see what Dubai Events are happening
- If you would like to promote a social group, support group or event, please email details to Events@ExpatWoman.com. We generally will be happy to offer our support but through the Listings, editorial and What's On sections of the site, not through the board.
- Advertising of your company or services is not allowed on the forum. You should not post any messages promoting or advertising a particular website, product, service, business or venture, regardless of whether it is for profit or not, unless it is in direct response and relevant to a request for such information, any interest is fully disclosed and within moderation. Do not regenerate old threads to promote your business- we will delete them and deactivate your account. If you want to advertise with us please email Advertise@ExpatWoman.com
- Posters wishing to advertise property may do so only through our dedicated Dubai Property page listings
- Posters wishing to advertise job vacancies may do so through our dedicated Dubai Job Vacancies page listings. The information forum is not to be used for job adverts.
- Posters wishing to sell or buy items may do so through our busy Dubai Classified Ads section (including domestic jobs wanted/vacancies) which are free of charge.
- If you are working for a charity or a non- profit society and want to promote the charities or society’s efforts please contact us directly – email Admin@ExpatWoman.com. Please do not use the boards for promoting your cause. We are very willing to help you in other ways.
- Asking for the donation of money for any cause- no matter how worthy- is not allowed on the forum- either for personal, individual cases or for registered charities.
- The buying and selling of tickets for events, such as, but not limited too, concerts, sporting events etc. is not allowed on the information board please use the Classifieds Section for this.
- The swapping or selling of any kind of deal vouchers is not allowed on the forum. We ask for your co-operation in this matter.
- The board may not be used for any kind market research purposes or surveys e.g. I am starting a new business please take part in my survey, I need feedback for a dissertation please complete my online survey etc.
- The board may also not be used as fodder for articles by journalists- if you are a journalist and would like a quote on or about a particular subject please send an email to Editor@ExpatWoman.com and we will get in touch. Please do not quote directly from the Forum- contact us for an official quote.
- When making comments about companies or organisations, it is understood that sometimes they may be critical and/or negative. If someone is asking for a recommendation there is no need to post who you don't recommend- post about who you do. Please be respectful. Don't make accusations that are personal, unsubstantiated, unfounded, inflammatory, or slanderous. They will be deleted.
- If you have a complaint or issue about or with a company or institution your first recourse should be to contact them directly and solve any issues that way. If you don't tell them about any issues that they have- how can they begin to fix them?
- There are various incidents reported from time to time in the local press that are of a very sensitive or tragic nature to the families and friends of those involved- please refrain from posting your opinions, speculation, supposition and the like on the forum. This simply adds to the distress of all involved. If a thread is removed that concerns one of these issues, please do not start another one, as that will be deleted too. Messages of support, sympathy and condolences are more appropriate for this forum.
- Don’t feed the trolls- there are a small percentage of people who join forums generally to cause trouble and unrest on the boards. Trolling is any inflammatory threads or posts that is started with the sole intent of upsetting or antagonising other members. This is a miniscule percentage of our readership base and should not distort your view of the whole. Just ignore them- they thrive off attention- and they will be banned once spotted!
- Attacks, criticism and the like on moderators or admins of this site will not be tolerated, and will result in post deletion and may result in a permanent ban. Moderators sometimes have to make difficult judgment calls based on the laws of the land and the tone we strive for on the board, but remember they are human too. Hopefully they make decisions that are considered "correct" by the majority of the community to make this board a pleasant place to visit. Do not post complaints, criticisms, or moderation questions on the forum. These posts will be deleted and no explanation will be given. If you would like to get in touch with us please email email@example.com
- Promotion of political groups or ideologies, political rants, inflammatory religious content, any form of spam, flooding, advertisements, petitions, chain letters, pyramid schemes or solicitations of any kind are strictly prohibited, as is cross-posting the same message across multiple forums.
- You should not post any material which is false, defamatory, derogatory, inflammatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, racist, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. These boards are monitored by local Government, as are all boards in the region, and you should be prepared to answer for any comments you may post, should you be called upon to do so.
Moderation Of The Board:
- We will remove postings that are obscene, contain personal attacks or break the law of the UAE.
- Editing posts to remove unacceptable language, references, attacks etc. is impractical for many reasons so the moderation policy is generally to leave a post alone, or delete it entirely.
- The UAE and Middle East has its own traditions, culture, and laws, and if the moderators feel a topic or post is on the wrong side of the line, they will move, edit or delete as they see fit without entering into debate.
- We will generally delete links to foreign papers and websites which are not subject to the same censorship rules as those operating within the UAE, by which we must also abide.
- If a thread is deleted, please resist the temptation to start a new one about the same subject or asking why the thread was deleted- they will just be deleted too.
- We are sometimes contacted by person, a poster or a company, who wish to have a particular thread removed for some reason - incorrect facts, damaging to them personally or professionally, personal situations they do not wish to be discussed publicly, too much information, original poster wants it removed etc. etc. and this is done, without entering into any debate on the board, as to why a particular thread has been removed. We do not differentiate between site sponsors and non-sponsors, posters and non-posters. We will delete any thread whenever requested by anyone. Email Admin@ExpatWoman.com
- Please remember this site is moderated by real people… people with families and lives outside the world of ExpatWoman. They do not sit on the boards 24/7 and consequently, things slip through but we tune in regularly and catch them eventually. We also, occasionally, make mistakes.
It is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this forum. Please remember that although we do actively monitor the posted messages, we are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. Any removal will be completed as soon as possible. We also retain the right to edit, move or delete any posted message and suspend, delete or deny any account or account registration request without giving any reason. Account owners are expressly prohibited from opening a new account if an earlier account has been closed or suspended or earlier registration request denied. You acknowledge that all posts made to this website express the views and opinions of the author and not the site owner, administrators or moderators (except for messages by these people) who cannot be held liable for the contents of such posts.