What are stem cells?
Stem cells are the most primitive, unspecialised cells in the body. Their primary purpose is to repair and regenerate old and damaged cells. It makes them the perfect biological repair system. Adult stem cells are found in the bone marrow and in the circulating blood, and are also very plentiful in umbilical cord blood. There are more than 200 different types of cells and tissues that make up the human body-such as kidney cells, liver, the heart, blood cells, skin cells and so on. Stem cells have the ability to transform into any of these: their role is to heal and replenish the human body which they do by ‘sensing’ where the damage is.
Why save umbilical cord blood?
Umbilical cord blood is the blood that remains in the umbilical cord after the cord has been cut from the baby. It is an important source of many different types of stem cells. These are nature’s own building blocks and are mostly unharmed from either environmental influences or the ageing process. Hematopoietic stem cells (the blood forming cells) are standard care for many diseases today, such as Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Disease, Multiple Myeloma, Genetic Disorders, Bone Marrow Failure Syndromes etc. Stem cell technology is advancing rapidly and increasing research reveals the remarkable properties of these cells. There are now clinical trials of stem cell therapy in ischemic heart disease which, if successful, would suggest that long- term storage of these cells may be invaluable.
The Facts about Umbilical Cord Blood
- Currently, there are more than 80 conditions that can be treated by stem cells such as solid tumors, anemia, leukaemia and
- The first umbilical cord blood transplant was done in 1988. More than 20 years on, the recipient is alive and well and a father in his own right today
- Over 20,000 transplants have taken place to date
- Of these 20,000, 70% have been used for Leukemia’s and Anemia’s
- Approximately 70% of the transplants have been done on siblings
- Single patient analysis have shown amazing results in treating children with Cerebral Palsy by stem cells
Click on our ‘New News’ link to read some new and interesting articles about the potential of stem cells!
Who are Cells4Life?
Cells4Life is the oldest and largest private Whole Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Storage Company in the UK, Our state of the art laboratory is based in Sussex with a separate storage facility located in Essex, We are a fully accredited facility with the Human Tissue Authority, which is of the highest standard in compliance with the EU Tissue and Cells Directive. Cells4Life offers a premium 25 year storage package, storing the whole blood in order to prevent cell reduction during processing and we use TWO separate storage facilities in the UK for your complete security.
The Cells4Life Service
Cells4Life offer a unique and quality service providing parents and healthcare professionals with the highest level of information and support in umbilical cord blood stem cell collection and storage. Scientifically, whole cord blood storage is the best way to store a child’s cord blood as it provides more opportunities for use in the future. Additionally, storing a piece of the umbilical cord complements whole cord blood storage, giving the maximum amount of stem cell groups.
A Cells4Life tissue and whole blood sample will contain Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs), all types of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs), Very Small Embryonic-Like Stem Cells (VSELs), and Unrestricted Somatic Stem Cells (USSCs). No other company in the region captures such a broad and essential range of stem cell types.
Why choose Cells4Life?
1. Cells4Life is an accredited UK-based private cord blood storage company established in 2002. We store each sample in 2 separate storage facilities for your security.
2. Cells4Life is the only UK Company to store the whole blood from the umbilical cord, not just the stem cells. Whole blood has been shown to be of greater therapeutic value and is important in ‘future proofing’ your child’s blood for many scientific developments.
With this technique, Cells4Life is able to secure 100% of the VSELs found in the whole blood while companies following a technique of volume reducing, lost most of these VSELs – this has been clinically proven.
3. We perform viability testing on all samples upon arrival at our laboratory, ensuring that only samples containing a very high percentage of viable (living) cells are cryopreserved for storage.
4. All maternal blood screening tests are included in the service charge. Upon completion, we issue you with a certificate of viability and the results of all our testing.
5. Cells4Life offers a premium 25 year storage package for your convenience
6. Our lab operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. No matter what time of the day or night your sample arrives it will be processed to ensure the best viability and to avoid any deterioration of the sample. This is a unique service offered by Cells4Life in the best interest of your child.
7. We use an experienced medical courier to transport your child’s cord blood sample to the UK laboratory. This gives the reassurance that the Company transporting your child’s precious cord blood knows how valuable it is, and treats it with the utmost care and gets it to us as quickly as possible.
8. The Unique Cells4life KIT is a state of the art blood transportation KIT designed specifically to transport blood – the KIT is a small refrigerator which once activated is able to maintain a temperature of 2-8° Celsius to ensure the best viability of your sample.
9. We are the only company to have formerly been accredited by MHRA (Medical Regulatory Authority) and now hold an HTA (Human Tissue Authority) license to process and store whole blood.
This license encompasses all international and European standards of GLP (Good Laboratory Practice) and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) and ISO Principles.
10. Cells4life is the only UK licensed company that captures Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs), Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) and Very Small Embryonic-Like Stem Cells (VSELs) all within whole cord blood storage.
+Cord Information Guide
Cord Tissue is a rich source of certain types of stem cell, primarily Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs). Additionally, cord tissue contains Vascular Endothelial and Perivascular Cells both of which may be of therapeutic use in the long term.
Why Store whole cord blood and cord tissue?
Storing cord tissue will increase the number of MSCs harvested and will add further cell types not present in whole cord blood. Although overall numbers of MSCs may be less than those in the cord blood, cord tissue MSCs will enhance the overall cell sample size, and provide cell types which look increasingly likely to be therapeutically beneficial.
Why is Cells4Life’s +Cord service unique?
Cells4Life is the only company in the world to store both whole cord blood and cord tissue.
What is +Cord storage?
Following the birth of your baby, the placenta is delivered. The obstetrician or midwife will take a small piece of the cord tissue and place it into a sterile container. Along with the cord blood, the samples are then ready for collection by our courier.
To request more information or to arrange an appointment, please do not hesitate to contact us:
MedCells International FZ LLC is the official distributor of Cells4life in the Middle East with marketing and sales office at the following address:
Dubai HealthCare City
Building 25, Office 407
United Arab Emirates
Tel: +971 4 311 6613
Mobile: +971 50 553 8373
Website: www.cells4life.co.uk / www.medcells.ae