Wardrobes and other furniture.... | ExpatWoman.com

Wardrobes and other furniture....

Latest post on 24 January 2011 - 22:36
Oh blimey......I sent hubby off on an expedition to Homes R Us.....he has sent me pictures. Let's just say that I can see why everyone is so excited about the possibility of an IKEA! But 2015, seriously? They'll have even managed to build the flipping bridge to Bahrain by then! Lol!
Latest post on 24 January 2011 - 14:36
on the ikea front............Al Futtaim is building a new mall like thier one in dubai -Dubai Festival City and they are the ones who ówn'ikea for the ME. according to trade papers, you can expect ikea to be opening sometime in 2015 :) http://www.eturbonews.com/18334/destination-news-mega-retail-complex-coming-doha http://www.iloveqatar.net/forum/read.php?26,23720,23720 so, still abit of a wait then..............lol
Latest post on 21 January 2011 - 15:27
Dark grey should most probably work although with all the dust here, in a way beige is sadly the most practical. You should be safe with burnt oranges, olive greens etc. The houses are built to suit arabic colour schemes which tend to be quite bold, you can do a modern take with similar colours just less ornate. Not all houses have the peach tones so if you end up in something more modern hot pinks etc all good. You can actually get plain cushion covers here, (M&S, Debenhams) they just cost a bit more and you have ltd choice. We carpeted our bedrooms (as in glued down carpet not rugs) fairly cheaply which helped as the peach tiled floors were not to my liking :) Dark wood suits the homes, most have dark stained wooden doors and door frames, you'll end up employing a maid to deal with all the dust. ( I seem to be mentioning the dust a lot) I have struggled finding really basic things like frames for photographs, full length mirrors, table and floor lamps. They are all super ornate here or super pricey. The houses have so much wall space (since the windows are really small) and its really hard to find anything to put on them. Custom framing is reasonable here but again, its hard to find anything simple like a plain white frame. If you bring duvet covers you may want to bring the inners, not sure on UK sizing but I couldn't find an inner for my NZ cover. Beds here tend to be King size or bigger and in general rock hard!
Latest post on 21 January 2011 - 02:11
aargh, I'm so sick of the beige! and I'm a neutrals kinda girl, million watt lightbulbs wouldn't go amiss. But what I meant really was don't go for cool tones, (blues and cool reds etc) we bought a beautiful taupey/grey coloured couch but it looks really wrong against all the beige. The windows are all tinted to cut the light out so even the daylight becomes beige coloured! Yeah I like beige in England, where we have tiny rooms and cosy cottages, but I am definitely thinking bold colours for Qatar. I'm not sure what sofa covers to get - I was going to go for quite a dark grey actually, and set it off with bold curtains, rugs and cushions - do you think this would work? I want a dark coloured sofa for practical reasons.
Latest post on 21 January 2011 - 02:10
I would suggest you think colour....lots of it. Everything here is beige. Beige outside and beige inside. Rooms are often dark due to small windows and window coatings to keep the heat out. So you often end up having lights on during the day. Ooh yes, I was definitely thinking colour - I had kind of toyed with the idea anyway for our next house, whether that was England or wherever. As soon as I found out we were moving to Qatar that kind of pushed me into thinking of some really bold colour schemes. I am going for dark furniture, not the plain white stuff we have now (which is great in tiny English rooms but would look horrible and cold in a big white villa). I am also loving the idea of lots of hot colours set off against the dark furniture - hot pinks, oranges, teals etc. I feel like really having some fun with it. (I know it's a risk with the floor colours, but I'm prepared to chance it). The colours will all be in the soft furnishings, so it will be easy to change around. I always find villas in hot countries can look quite cold and clinical, so I want to use lots of colours to make it feel nice and cosy.
Latest post on 21 January 2011 - 02:06
I am soo jealous of your container! Plain cushion covers (if you are not into sequins and tassles), plain white/black empty pictures frames, art in general, books, a decent vacuum cleaner and a years supply of bags (because you honestly can not buy bags here without huuge hassle and the bagless cleaners don't cope with the dust). If you ship a bed also ship the sheets as the sizes are funny here. The power point plugs here are the same as the UK so any appliances should be good but you can buy that stuff here easily. Plain lamps from Ikea though, houses are dark in general. The more minimalist your taste the more you should bring, any extra space use to bring food! Anything from Ikea sells like hotcakes here so you will have no problem on-selling anything that you don't end up needing. When picking your colours for rugs etc, walls tend to be painted warm whites, creams, beige etc and you will often have peachy terracotta floor tiles to deal with so you might want to go for warmish tones or neutrals. Thank you Kiwi, that's brilliant info. I was thinking that maybe I could get cushion covers made in the souk? I do prefer plain but not sure on colours yet and they're something I can live without for a while I think. Peachy terracotta floor tiles....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
Latest post on 20 January 2011 - 16:02
aargh, I'm so sick of the beige! and I'm a neutrals kinda girl, million watt lightbulbs wouldn't go amiss. But what I meant really was don't go for cool tones, (blues and cool reds etc) we bought a beautiful taupey/grey coloured couch but it looks really wrong against all the beige. The windows are all tinted to cut the light out so even the daylight becomes beige coloured!
Latest post on 20 January 2011 - 15:53
I would suggest you think colour....lots of it. Everything here is beige. Beige outside and beige inside. Rooms are often dark due to small windows and window coatings to keep the heat out. So you often end up having lights on during the day.
Latest post on 20 January 2011 - 15:23
I am soo jealous of your container! Plain cushion covers (if you are not into sequins and tassles), plain white/black empty pictures frames, art in general, books, a decent vacuum cleaner and a years supply of bags (because you honestly can not buy bags here without huuge hassle and the bagless cleaners don't cope with the dust). If you ship a bed also ship the sheets as the sizes are funny here. The power point plugs here are the same as the UK so any appliances should be good but you can buy that stuff here easily. Plain lamps from Ikea though, houses are dark in general. The more minimalist your taste the more you should bring, any extra space use to bring food! Anything from Ikea sells like hotcakes here so you will have no problem on-selling anything that you don't end up needing. When picking your colours for rugs etc, walls tend to be painted warm whites, creams, beige etc and you will often have peachy terracotta floor tiles to deal with so you might want to go for warmish tones or neutrals.
Latest post on 20 January 2011 - 00:13
We didn't ship enough bookcases as these are great and cheap for making large Doha rooms look occupied. The spare room I shipped my existing furniture from the UK with the intention of it staying here after we leave. We used our old mattress with a new bed frame from Tesco as they are so cheap if you can get one on sale. Expats do sell their old stuff here on leaving but it tends to be expensive. Not sure if you have looked in Home centre here but its one of the cheapest places to go here. I looked seen how expensive and poor quality it was compared to IKEA and decided to ship. My husband had a fit when we went to Ikea in the UK saying we could buy in Doha. I followed my instincts and it was the right decision. Ikea in Dubai doesn't ship so you have to use a shipping company and this is expensive, plus the wardrobes there are about 30% more expensive than ikea in the UK. In the 2 years I have been here there have been several rumours about ikea opening here but nothing comes of the rumours ! If you intend on shipping curtains think about curtain rails too as some houses don't have them and they can be expensive compared to the UK. I shipped some of these too ! Definately ship the rugs especially if you can get some cheap ones. The bigger the better ! I haven't seen a small villa here. Also cheap pictures again big ones add them to your container. As you might guess I am a bit of a shopper !
Latest post on 19 January 2011 - 00:42
Aaaaah charliedog, thank you so, so much for that :) You have totally validated what I was thinking of doing anyway, that's really helpful. I've been looking at rugs and thinking 'should i'? It's so hard without knowing the house I am buying for, but I guess I can bank on them all being pretty big rooms and I will kick myself if I don't bring something I end up really needing. And I guess it would be easy to sell stuff onto other expats if I find it doesn't fit or suit the house?
Latest post on 18 January 2011 - 23:37
I moved to Doha 2 years ago and was intending on buying new furniture here. That was until I seen the poor quality and high prices. I decided to do a shop at Ikea in the UK and ship the stuff flat packed. It was the best decision ! I shipped wardrobes, chest of drawers and bookcases as they are such good value in the UK. I also bought a new uk bed from Sleepmasters (interest free credit too !) as the beds here in Doha I felt were quite hard. We had 1000cubic meters and it was surprising how much you can fit into this space when the stuff is flatpacked. My advice is to buy bedding(john lewis, debenhams), quilts (ikea low 6 tog),beds, bookcases (lots of them as they are expensive here), nice cushions, some curtains (next or ikea) longer the better and ship them over. My friends were like oh where did you get that and the answer was England ! Also check out Tesco furniture its excellent value for money. I also shipped rugs from Ikea (bigger sizes as the rooms here tend to be big) Good luck and happy shopping !
Latest post on 17 January 2011 - 00:29
Haha thanks everyone, but I don't think I will count on IKEA opening any time soon ;) Catonclan, I definitely don't want a furnished villa - I would really prefer to have our own furniture, although white goods would be useful. JillMV - thanks for the useful info, that's really helpful. I will try and get some wardrobes out here and bring them with us.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 15:56
Like I said......dream on!!!
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 14:44
Ahhhh, I bet they didn't say April of which year! That new mall opposite Landmark will never be ready by April this year - maybe April 2012.......*sighs*
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 13:48
Catoclan my DH is also in construction and seen plans so maybe Ikea have hedged there bets the Mall opposite Landmark will be Gulf Mall and one of the biggest in the Middle East.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 13:44
Yep Ikea is on its way it will be at Northgate Mall out towards Zig Zag towers but how far on this development is Im not sure . There will also be a M&S and Toys are us there.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 13:44
Haha!!! Thought that might get some attention!!! One of the guys on our compound(architect) has been involved in the project. It's opposite Landmark mall, and the metal frame is up. The only difficulty is that apparently IKEA have issued an ultimatum that if it isn't ready to move in to by April, then they will pull out. So......you know, this is Doha, so anything could happen!! But go ahead and get silly excited, because costs nothing to dream!
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 10:55
WAIT??!!! Ikea opening here in April? How come this is the first I'm hearing about this? I mean I've heard rumors over the years that Ikea might open in Qatar, but I've never heard anything definite. Do we have any more info? If it's opening in April that should mean that construction is well under way - any idea where? I know I'm silly to get so excited, especially given the rumors over the years of all the great stores that are coming here but never actually have (when I first arrived, almost 6 years ago, I heard on very good authority that Saks 5th Avenue would be opening in Landmark in 6 months. Enough said?). Anyway - and apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread - any news on Ikea is most welcome!
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 09:22
May be worth holding fire if you can to see what your new place has, if you can. The compound I am on is fully furnished (just!), and they will not remove any furniture, and will charge you for damage if you take it to pieces. You can often also get your villa painted. Again where I am is regulation peach or beige, which are both pretty yuck. A lot of people have had the maintenence chaps re-paint to white before they move in but again you have to paint it back before you leave. Most the villas seem to have free standing wardrobes, if any at all. Bare in mind IKEA is in Dubai, and there is meant to be one opening here in April, IF the builders get their act together before IKEA pull out in a tantrum!!! Furniture here is of an aquired taste, and either over -priced and very nasty or very expensive and heavy/solid +/- gold and twirly bits - nice!!! From my experience, when we actually got our stuff into boxes we were way over on weight and volume what we had thought, and that was without any furniture.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 02:55
I don't know how prices are in the UK, but I'm sure quality for the price MUST be much better than in Doha. In the US, it's a million times better. If you don't have to pay more for shipping, I would suggest you buy at home and get something you actually like. Styles are different here, so it may be very hard to find something you like. Most villas walls are painted white/ cream. One compound we lived in had peach walls, but generally, they are white. I would say rooms are generally quite spacious with high ceilings. I do think a lot of villas now have the dining area and living area together in an open plan of sorts - just to keep that in mind. Definitely, Not all villas have that, but the newer ones seem to. Our villa did not have wardrobes built in and although our previous places were furnished, the wardrobes were also seperate furniture pieces. I have seen a handful of villas with built-in closets, but not many.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 02:16
Hubby and I were only planning on bringing 580 cu ft of stuff with us when we move out to Doha, but the smallest container our chosen shipping company does is 1,000 cu ft - so they've said we can fill the whole thing for just £100 more than their current quote, which is a really good deal. Originally, we were only planning on bringing 3 sofas, a dining table and chairs, a Welsh dresser and a desk and chair (this is all included in our 580 cu ft). We're definitely selling off all our current beds and bedroom furniture before we leave for Doha, as we don't think they will survive another house move. However, now we seem to have an extra 420 cu ft to play with, I am thinking of buying new bedroom and lounge furniture here in England to bring out to Doha with us, so I have a few questions. 1. Is the furniture in Doha really that expensive/naff to make it worth bringing our own stuff out? We are particularly fussy about quality..... 2. Are all the villas the plain white, flexible, spacious dwellings I imagine them to be (with big rooms)? Therefore, if I buy all the stuff I am thinking of, I will definitely be able to find space for it all? 3. Do most villas have built-in wardrobes, or should I include wardrobes in my shopping spree? 4. Does this sound like a reasonable shopping list, and will I be able to fit it all into most 'typical' 3-bed villas? LOUNGE: Coffee table, book case, side table(s), console table for TV. BEDROOM: Super king size bed, 2 x bedside tables, chest(s) of drawers, wardrobe? SPARE ROOM: Not sure if it is worth kitting this out now or leaving it until we get there? Is there anything else I've not thought of which would definitely be worth getting here in the UK before I come out? I figure I may as well make use of the space in the container! Amy edited by amy77 on 16/01/2011 <em>edited by amy77 on 16/01/2011</em>