GEMS Education Dubai
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Maids & Home Help » How easy is it to take your Helper back to UK?
Pages: 1 2

bornconfused
Posts 1443

23/02/2011 18:45:19
I honestly don't care.. Search away.. I think it's funny.

bornconfused
Posts 1443

23/02/2011 08:28:08
Mrs Laughan wrote:
Sophia07 - I think when you apply for her visa, the fines if she absconds will be outlined...they are for NZ. I would be more worried about the way they will treat her on the way in, as a non-USA passport holder, who had a residency visa, I was still treated like Sh*t every time I went through immigration, and I know I am not alone in that. Goodluck!!

PS - If I was you I would pick a smaller airport to fly into - San fran is much better than LAX or any of the NYC airports

lol.. I get treated like S*it every time I go and I am a US passport holder. They look at where I have been and I am harrassed for a while before being allowed to proceed.. On my way out of the country I get the "random" secondary screening every single time..

Mrs Laughan
Posts 1537

22/02/2011 15:59:51
Sophia07 - I think when you apply for her visa, the fines if she absconds will be outlined...they are for NZ. I would be more worried about the way they will treat her on the way in, as a non-USA passport holder, who had a residency visa, I was still treated like Sh*t every time I went through immigration, and I know I am not alone in that. Goodluck!!

PS - If I was you I would pick a smaller airport to fly into - San fran is much better than LAX or any of the NYC airports

mover and a sheikha
Posts 1594

21/02/2011 19:51:53
I've been thinking about this. Do you think perhaps people want to take their maid back because we get used to the long hours they work and the cheap childcare? Do we think that 'Yeah, OK, they'll have 'official' hours etc but we still want to maintain our lifestyles from here for as cheap as possible?' . Are we really trying to pull a fast one?

If you could properly afford it, would you hire full time help (40+ hours), once you got back to the UK or would you have to scale back on cleaning/ babysitting etc. To immediately suggest an au pair with their maximum 25 hours a week is a long way from the hours a phillipina works though the pay might be comparable.

I think if one really can't afford it comfortably then one shouldn't do it at all. I know that if i could, i'd take my maid as she would works hard for little cash (relatively, though well over the average for here!) than hiring a more savvy clockwatcher would be much more expensive for us. That was an uncomfortable truth when i realised it.

@Alia - have you spoken to a nanny agency to see what they would do if one of their employees got pregnant while on a live-in job? They may have the right legal advice.

Also, do we get so used to human right and employee right abuses here that when the right ones are in place we feel like throwing a tantrum. (not you alia, i would be furious that she wanted to stay with me and feel betrayed that i had been so manipulated).

Finally: it doesn't always go wrong as several friends can attest.

blimey
Posts 575

21/02/2011 18:22:14
alia wrote:
After 5 years in the UK they can apply for permanent residency and a British passport and then they have access to full range of benefits, council housing, unemployment benefits, working parent tax credits, free nursery if they are on low income, free schooling for kids etc etc... You can see why staying in the UK is so attractive and they will do anything to bring their dependents over as well!

Wow...crazy deals! No wonder ppl keep on asking me why I didn't do anything to get UK passport even after more than 10 years of marriage to my British hsbd.

alia
Posts 170

21/02/2011 18:12:31
NB: They are not allowed any state benefit in the UK: They come on "domestic worker visa" which clearly states NO RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS. After they have been in UK for a year they are allowed to sign up to a free GP and use the NHS (as they are considered ordinarily resident). Before then if something happens it is employer's responsibility and have to pay for GP etc, although I'm sure if they turn up at the A&E nobody would check the passport/residence permit.

Minimum paid holidays they are entitled to by contract is 5.6 weeks holidays/ year. Paid maternity leave is 39 weeks weeks (total maternity leave 52 weeks during which you still have to pay holidays etc). Workers are entitled to go to antenatal visits, have extra rest periods etc during normal working hours throughout the pregnancy. Can't dismiss a worker during maternity leave (automatic unfair dismissal) and if you make her redundant you have to prove that it is in no way connected even indirectly to her pregnancy . All this is great to protect women but it's quite a burden if the employer is a family, especially if the worker lives in with the family. So think about it carefully if you are planning to bring a maid of child-bearing age to the UK. Mine (41years old) had assured me that she was an old spinster and too old to have children as she is old enough to be a grandmother in the Philippines...last famous words!!! And by the way, the greatest ambition of many of these Filipino maids in UK is to bag a British/European husband...

After 5 years in the UK they can apply for permanent residency and a British passport and then they have access to full range of benefits, council housing, unemployment benefits, working parent tax credits, free nursery if they are on low income, free schooling for kids etc etc... You can see why staying in the UK is so attractive and they will do anything to bring their dependents over as well!

bornconfused
Posts 1443

21/02/2011 16:09:36
Wow Alia, that is a whole new perspective. Never even thought about the sudden marriages, getting pregnant and the lovely state benefits they could claim. Not to mention all of the other claims she could make just to get residency without you. She set herself up quite well.

Sorry about your situation.

alia
Posts 170

21/02/2011 07:19:38
Taking maid back to UK is very easy as long as she has been with you for over a year...BUT that is the only easy part!

When we moved permanently back to UK I was really undecided whether to bring our maid as I knew all the stories about runaway maids and I knew it is easy to find help (at least in central London). In the end I did bring her as we liked her and I thought it would be a great opportunity for her and convenient for us.

Now I really regret bringing her. Now that she is on a UK salary with a UK visa (they are allowed to bring in spouse and dependents on their visa too!!!) she has changed her attitude but has also become even more under pressure from all her extended family and friends in the Philippines who sponge off her.

And since she got here she started getting all these "suitors" and marriage proposals from the Philippines (she is 41 and hadn't had a boyfriend since she was in her early 20's) and it all went to her head. When she went back for her holidays in December she married a guy she had never met before (just communicated via sms and skype) and came back pregnant. So now she is tired/vomiting and has all sorts of superstitions about what she can and can't do (she refuses to go for a scan as she thinks it's "hot" and bad for the baby!! she can't iron for longer than 30 min as it's hot and she puts my son in front of the TV when he's back from nursery while she naps as she gets tired).

She just assumes that we are going to accommodate her and her child (she helpfully suggested bringing her new husband- who is basically a stranger- to help with the baby, in our house, as there's enough space madam!!!). To be honest I am still shocked that she could get married and get pregnant all during a one-month holiday (at 41!).

Anyway now we are in a very tricky situation as we don't want to share our house with a filipino family but she doesn't want to go home for her maternity leave as she quite likes the UK thank you very much and wants her baby to be born here. There is no chance of her finding another employer now that she's pregnant and we can't dismiss her (she could sue is for sexual discrimination) or force her to go back to the Philippines to have the baby there as she has a valid visa until the end of the year. Of course any other maid/nanny could have gotten pregnant but if they are EU (or Filipino who have been in Uk longer than 5 years) it's less complicated as they could live out and also have access to State benefits to help with the child and housing.

Before anyone attacks me, I am happy to give her whatever is her right, maternity pay and more, but I am upset that she just assumes we are going to look after her and her family like this and that she can work and look after a young baby in our home without even discussing the possibility before. She is understandably delighted with her pregnancy and doesn't seem worried at all, but my husband is freaking out and telling me to get rid of her asap and I can't sleep because of the worry! Can you imagine having all the the responsibility of looking after her during her pregnancy (there could be complications due to her age) and the disruption to our family of having a newborn in your own home..and of course I'll have to employ somebody else too.

This is my personal experience. I have a friend who moved back from Dubai to London last year and also brought over her maid/nanny last year (as she was so attached to and good with her child!): despite getting £300 a week she did a runner after a month.

In terms of costs, it is expensive as unless you pay the going rate they will run away very quickly. Going rate in central London is anything between £250-400 net per week plus tax, NI and employers NI, plus a payroll company to do all the paperwork (check nannytax.co.uk to see what costs work out to). Plus I've just forked out £800 for visa renewal (yearly) and £1100 to fly her back for her holidays). Honestly it's not worth it.

There are plenty of great EU nannies/au-pairs/cleaners, it can work much cheaper (if you get an au-pair) and they are much better educated, not from such a poor background, often have a driving licence, no hassle with paperwork/visas. The downside is that usually they are not as flexible with working hours and some may not speak good English. But if you prefer a Filipina nanny/maid, there are thousands already in London who have permanent residence so it's much easier. There are also many Filipina here on student visa ( a popular visa scam they use to come to UK) who will work for lower salary because of their visa restrictions (they are only supposed to work for 25 hours) and you don't have to worry about sponsoring the visa and other responsibilities.

I know it seems like a hassle to change nanny/helper but most kids adjust easily to a new carer and from a financial point of view (let alone all the hassles and paperwork) it is generally not worth bringing a maid over to UK.

Sanddy_Dogg
Posts 9475

20/02/2011 11:51:25
Isn't Zannie just pointing out a few extra expenses and responsibilities that the OP maybe hadn't thought of?

Clairehdp
Posts 15267

20/02/2011 09:39:29
taisik wrote:
sophia. start blocking her salary from now. Tell her you are holding it until she comes back from USA, then you will give her one block amount

Are you serious???? What would she live on and, more importantly, what would her family live on in the mean time?

mover and a sheikha
Posts 1594

20/02/2011 08:53:47
Zannie wrote:

Also she'll be expected to pay tax, National Insurance and you'll as her employer will have to prove she is paying it. Also she'll be eligible for statutory holiday, sickness and if required maternity pay.

What like you would be? Heaven forbid a subspecies could have rights.

mover and a sheikha
Posts 1594

20/02/2011 08:50:27
My mate took her maid back to the UK, when they went back permanently. It is working out well but they are in central london and the maid has met other Philipina ladies so has a social network and is happy. My maid also did 2 years in the UK with her previous family and still raves about Tescos.

However, a high level do abscond (that's from an Embassy source) but most that do, work for non western families.

In terms of costs, you have abide by the law: minimum wage and regulated working hours. You do not have to give extra for housing as, if they live with you, you are covering that cost already.

@taisik - illegal and immoral is not the way to go.

Pamya
Posts 664

19/02/2011 11:54:21
Don't do it!
There are easier ways for child care in the U.K. You could get an au-pair for example; they don't have high salaries but you might need to pay for language coarse or something like that as an extra.

Zannie
Posts 5097

19/02/2011 11:44:01
To the OP, is this a permanent move to the UK?

If it is I personally wouldn't. No matter how much you say you trust her, she'll be gone as soon as she gets her foot on UK soil. The temptation to find a better and more well paid job will be too much. Plus she may well have family there.

I don't know the rules for immigration into the UK, but I would imagine the UK authorities will frown on this and will ask why you cannot use a British citizen to do the job (with the relevant protection for you and your children which the UK authorities require i.e. police checks etc...).

Also she'll be expected to pay tax, National Insurance and you'll as her employer will have to prove she is paying it. Also she'll be eligible for statutory holiday, sickness and if required maternity pay.

sophia07
Posts 2273

19/02/2011 11:44:00
I'm still in Dubai and want to go about things the right way. I know many nationals and those married to some that somehow get away with only pay the same amount they pay here when they spend summers overseas but it just does not settle well with me. Not just the not being fair part but I just want to be on the right side of the law as the repercussions are not worth it in my case

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 11:39:26
taisik wrote:
sophia. start blocking her salary from now. Tell her you are holding it until she comes back from USA, then you will give her one block amount

That is illegal as it comes.

taisik
Posts 185

19/02/2011 11:28:42

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 11:24:45
sophia07 wrote:
Autocorrect strikes again! I meant absconds not anaconda!

lmao.. Thats funny..

sophia07
Posts 2273

19/02/2011 10:33:10
Autocorrect strikes again! I meant absconds not anaconda!

sophia07
Posts 2273

19/02/2011 10:31:57
Thanks everyone! 4 day a week daycare for one child in NY for a medic ore center comes out to about 1600 a month and I have 2 children so at least 3ooo and without the flexibility. Ughh. If only I had more options here but wanted to start in the Summer and be fully sure all credits are transferrable in the US. I guess at the end of the day if she did abscond I would be up s*#ts creek without a paddle so maybe not worth it. I'll look into it anyway at the embassy . To the op make sure you know what will happen to you, if anything, if yours anaconda in the UK. You just never know. Thank you to everyone for your help

Faifunghi
Posts 216

19/02/2011 10:17:33
sophia07 wrote:
Yes even with minimum wage it is still less. I also believe it is an 8 hour day 5 days a week. It goes by the state.
I am more concerned with absconding. She seems quite happy with me but I know the lore of the American Dream might reel her in. Not to divert from the op either but she also might need to consider the repercussions of absconding

Its not minimum wage in the US its 'prevailing' wage in your state (for a full time nanny/ housekeeper). Had a friend try to do this in the US this summer, it was crazy expensive. Almost impossible to bring such helpers to Canada (from own experience...) guessing UK makes it similarly difficult.

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 10:17:27
sophia07 wrote:
Yes even with minimum wage it is still less. I also believe it is an 8 hour day 5 days a week. It goes by the state.
I am more concerned with absconding. She seems quite happy with me but I know the lore of the American Dream might reel her in. Not to divert from the op either but she also might need to consider the repercussions of absconding

Federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Some states the minimum wage is higher which means you are by law required to pay them what the state min wage is. But expect it will be no less than $7.25 an hour. If they work over the 8 hour day, you will be expected to pay overtime pay which will cost you around $10 an hour. So your looking at at least $1200 usd a month to your helper. Which is much more than most daycares cost on a monthly basis.

Of course add in food, insurance, transportation (which under US law you are required to provide for your helper), housing, etc. your looking at WAY more than you pay her here.

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 10:07:38
And btw per their website is absolutely illegal for you to hold on to their passport and you must sign an agreement stating you will not do so..

sophia07
Posts 2273

19/02/2011 10:05:41
bornconfused wrote:
sophia07 wrote:
I mean about mine and the op's
Would we get fined? Court?

http://abudhabi.usembassy.gov/niv/domestics.html

Thank you !

sophia07
Posts 2273

19/02/2011 10:05:16
clelland wrote:
Thanks guys so far, yes she could do a "runner" however at present we have trust in her - needed sometimes!
Any advice on visas to the UK?

Still go to the embassy and ask. The idea of a better life for them and their families will far outweigh anything they feel for you.

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 10:04:14
One more sophia.

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/Pamphlet-Order.pdf
edited by bornconfused on 19/02/2011

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 09:57:08
Not sure.. Your best bet is to go to the Embassy/consulate and ask the questions..

clelland
Posts 537

19/02/2011 09:56:52
Thanks guys so far, yes she could do a "runner" however at present we have trust in her - needed sometimes!
Any advice on visas to the UK?

sophia07
Posts 2273

19/02/2011 09:53:21
I mean about mine and the op's
Would we get fined? Court?

bornconfused
Posts 1443

19/02/2011 09:52:07
Sophia they don't care about the reprecussions. They have family and friends in the US that will help them out.

Pages: 1 2

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.