GEMS Education Dubai
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Pregnancy Matters » Having a baby in Dubai without maternity health insurance...
Pages: 1 2

Willa
Posts 10

19/02/2012 08:59:06
My company is moving health insurance provider and even though I have been with the company for nearly two years I am now most probably going to be losing my no wait maternity benefits. This is very upsetting as my husband and I were planning to start trying for a baby this year.

I understand you can pay for packages with hospitals, including Latifa, but I worry about costs getting out of hand if something goes wrong.
I would be very interested to hear of anyone’s experiences of having a baby in Dubai without health insurance so we can make an informed decision about what to do now. Thanks very much.

shjbelle
Posts 1775

19/02/2012 09:17:49
I took up a package frm the hospital. I just eat normally and had a normal birth, so thank goodness it was within the package.
good luck
S

cp80
Posts 77

19/02/2012 11:03:23
I think Latifa costs are reasonable when it comes to antenatal package and delivery costs. If you can fund this yourself, you shouldn't have any problem. Do you have family insurance? In rare and worst case scenario, if the baby needs nicu, your co. Will take care under the family cover. This is just what I think

Willa
Posts 10

19/02/2012 14:45:30
Thanks for your replies ladies. Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has perhpas gone through this. How much did it end up costing? Did you end up having to pay more than the package costs? Any stories of experience would be helpful, thanks.

Sandy
Posts 448

19/02/2012 17:13:13
Hi WIlla

I had DS2 at Latifa (formerly Al Wasl) Hospital last year in August as I wasn't covered for maternity under our health insurance. You have to take an ante natal package with your local clinic (after registering and obtaining a healthcard) which I believe cost me 5000 AED. This is only from 16 weeks onwards so you have to have your first set of bloods and 12 week scan done privately, this cost me around 3000 AED for everything. I then went on to have a normal delivery and 2 nights in hospital, as DS was born in the early hours of morning the first night was only really part of a night! I was fortunate enough to have no complications and only had stitches after the birth. The total for the birth was approx 7000 AED. Anything else you require is payable on top of that, i.e. epidural, other drugs, private room etc. The standard of care at Latifa was very good. The hospital is a bit run down and tired looking if you compare it to the private hospitals but who cares what the walls look like if the professionals are fully competent? In fact, having had DS1 on the NHS back in the UK the two are very similar, they both treated me very well with no frills attached! :-)

Hope this helps a little in your quest for info.

ETA - if you do a search on here for Al Wasl and delivery you should find lots of reviews. You'll also find out how to get a healthcard on here as well.
edited by Sandy on 19/02/2012

dramaqn
Posts 1340

19/02/2012 17:14:27
didn't have maternity cover either and didn't take package with hospital, just paid from my pocket for doc visits, blood tests and normal delivery. Doc was in private clinic, but she did deliveries in Iranian hospital thanks god had a normal delivery and they discharged me same day (it's my 2nd child). All in all came to about 25000dhs.

glenfiddich
Posts 777

19/02/2012 17:16:50
dramaqn wrote:
didn't have maternity cover either and didn't take package with hospital, just paid from my pocket for doc visits, blood tests and normal delivery. Doc was in private clinic, but she did deliveries in Iranian hospital thanks god had a normal delivery and they discharged me same day (it's my 2nd child). All in all came to about 25000dhs.

Me too. We had Daman - which had no wait for outpatient, or six months for inpatient (delivery) but I chose a doctor off plan and paid for it all myself. No more that 25k.

Willa
Posts 10

19/02/2012 17:25:09
Oh thank you so much, really helpful to hear your experiences... I'm now considering trying to get a policy with ADNIC as I've read on this forum that they cover with no wait for maternity. As I'm not actually pregnant yet, I'd hope the premium wouldn't be too high?! But will definately look at Latifa and all our options. We've been making savings, but had hoped to have that for our future with the baby, not as a means to have one! The company changing my insurance policy has been quite a blow.

shjbelle
Posts 1775

19/02/2012 18:11:32
dramaqn wrote:

wow!! that's expensive. I took a the hospital package at IMH..total bill was 12k.

ETA: considering IMH is a private hospital and i had a suite(which included a waiting room) to myself for 2 days.
edited by shjbelle on 19/02/2012

Willa
Posts 10

19/02/2012 18:28:09
Just wanted to add that I do have a gov health card... and am not against Latifa... apart from possibility of not being able to have my husband with me the whole time? Also am confused as to what the gov card entitles me to... if you pay a package anyway, but if there were complications what they could end up charging you on top of the package even at a gov hospital?

Tiptoptoni
Posts 125

19/02/2012 20:43:18
You may well still be covered even if your company changed insurance providers. Normally the company agree these terms with the new provider. My husband's company has changed insurers 3 times and each time I had not had to wait another X amount of time to get pregnant but it rolled on as if it were the same insurance company if you see what i mean. Definitely worth checking.

sadubai
Posts 329

19/02/2012 22:19:03
If you are thinking of buying private insurance you can consider a bunch of providers. Allianz for example provides maternity cover after 10 months which means you can get pregnant around 6 months after you buy your policy and approx first trimester onwards they will cover almost everything.

dramaqn
Posts 1340

19/02/2012 22:50:51
shjbelle wrote:
dramaqn wrote:

wow!! that's expensive. I took a the hospital package at IMH..total bill was 12k.

ETA: considering IMH is a private hospital and i had a suite(which included a waiting room) to myself for 2 days.

I think you mean either delivery or pre-natal care package. I meant the total cost of prenatal visits, tests, delivery & stay at the hospital, doc fee for delivery as outside doc

shjbelle
Posts 1775

20/02/2012 00:03:23
dramaqn wrote:
shjbelle wrote:
dramaqn wrote:

I think you mean either delivery or pre-natal care package. I meant the total cost of prenatal visits, tests, delivery & stay at the hospital, doc fee for delivery as outside doc

maybe. but definitely less than what you're paying. definitely not near 20k.
OP, best you go round hospitals and ask for the hospital packages. It's easier to see what they can provide that way.

S

JBads
Posts 21

26/02/2012 14:29:09
Willa, the maternity waiting period usually refers to delivery only so all your antenatal appts will still be covered immediately. Since you're not pregnant yet your premium should be low. Things to note, with ADNIC your hubby will have to join up with too (they wont take you on your own). Al Wathba had a 6 month wait but as you're not pregnant yet your waiting period will be up in the time it takes you to fall pregnant & carry to term. Either way, all your antenatal appointments are covered immediately. This confused me in the beginning too!

Willa
Posts 10

26/02/2012 15:54:42
JBads wrote:
Willa, the maternity waiting period usually refers to delivery only so all your antenatal appts will still be covered immediately. Since you're not pregnant yet your premium should be low. Things to note, with ADNIC your hubby will have to join up with too (they wont take you on your own). Al Wathba had a 6 month wait but as you're not pregnant yet your waiting period will be up in the time it takes you to fall pregnant & carry to term. Either way, all your antenatal appointments are covered immediately. This confused me in the beginning too!

Oh thank you! Everyone has been so helpful! ...I am currently getting a few quotes for insurance. ADNIC does worry me because both my husband and I have pre-exisiting conditions so the premium could be high...but as you point out that the wait period is for delivery, it's worth considering other companies. In some ways I feel like just going for it and perhaps taking a package with a hospital...but it's the 'what if' worry about costs adding up if something were to go wrong. Anyways, am trying to weigh up all options and be sensible! Thanks for your help ladies.

JBads
Posts 21

27/02/2012 09:17:15
Willa wrote:
In some ways I feel like just going for it and perhaps taking a package with a hospital...but it's the 'what if' worry about costs adding up if something were to go wrong. Anyways, am trying to weigh up all options and be sensible! Thanks for your help ladies.

If you want peace of mind then I would definitely get insurance. I was looking at insurance options but left it too late (I fell pregnant much sooner than expected). In hindsight I wish I had insurance - it would be a load off my mind. Now I'm just hoping I have a straight forward pregnancy. Any of the packages (including government) will end up costing you more than insurance and god forbid if there are any complications the cost could end up astronomical (NICU can cost thousands per day). Some food for thought although it's your decision entirely of course! Good luck with it all!!!

M
Posts 433

28/02/2012 20:09:12
Hi there Willa

I've written about ADNIC quite a bit on this forum as I learnt that my employer did not cover maternity in its health insurance package AFTER I fell pregnant! I went with ADNIC as they were the only insurer to provide immediate cover. And yes, your husband needs to join as this is really the only way for them to recover costs (apart from hiking up the premium). I had an existing medical condition and although the premium wasn't affected much (pregnancy at the time was 19K and the extra was 3K), the process of getting ADNIC's doctors to review my pre-existing conditions was onerous and delayed the start of the policy by about a month so be prepared if you go down this route.

Was it worth it? In my case yes. You never know what could happen to you or your baby on the delivery table. I have heard of people without insurance being out of pocket by more than AED100K. My total hospital costs ended up being over AED30K due to some heavy bleeding post delivery and the need for blood transfusions. That alone more than covered the cost of the insurance. Add to that the ante natal and you get the picture.

I believe there are a number of insurance companies that only require you to wait 6 months (including ADNIC) before your maternity benefits kick in. Be careful about the policy wording though as despite some of the advice below, the wording in insurance policies can stipulate that ante natal visits (including any pregnancy related complications you have early in your pregnancy) are regarded as pregnancy for the purposes of insurance claims so if you do fall pregnant outside of the waiting period then you are most likely not going to be covered for that period of time. Best to check with the insurer.

I also agree with JBads that taking out insurance pre-pregnancy will not cost you as much as taking a package and then you get peace of mind you are covered and can choose your hospital etc.

cp80
Posts 77

28/02/2012 21:39:26
Hi M, sorry to pop in but have a question regarding ADNIC cover. Did they cover NT, triple marker test and 20 week Anamoly scan?

Apricot
Posts 2829

29/02/2012 00:55:38
Willa wrote:
Just wanted to add that I do have a gov health card... and am not against Latifa... apart from possibility of not being able to have my husband with me the whole time? Also am confused as to what the gov card entitles me to... if you pay a package anyway, but if there were complications what they could end up charging you on top of the package even at a gov hospital?

Not much more at Latifa/ Wasl. DS2 was delivered as a normal delivery (with the standard expat maternity package) even though umbilical cord wrapped around 1 shoulder and neck. Relatives told me that a private hospital would've rushed me to EC in that case, but thank God my ob/gyn at Latifa was well-experienced to deliver him safely. DS2 developed a high fever 9 days after birth, we stayed in hospital for 10 nights (in reverse isolation room) and were only billed for the last 3 nights spent in an en suite private room (around Dhs 500/night?). Yes we are expats and this was in summer when most of the nice customer relations people were on holiday, so we dealt with the gruff but helpful support staff. We were not charged for any medication, food I consumed, cotton wool used, lab tests, consultant's fees, etc.

Personally I wasn't too bothered about my husband not being with me at some stages (early labor) and his having to leave my room at 10pm. Unless you and your husband read some great book together like "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin, many men are understandably nervous and unprepared for the role demanded by their female partners. Personally, I would want a woman who's already experienced childbirth by my side. I got that for 45 min while in early labor during my first child's delivery and it made a huge difference.

Muesli Bar
Posts 739

29/02/2012 06:25:50
At Latifa the only time your DH is not allowed with you, is when you go into the shared labour ward (with other ladies) - you won't be in there for long anyway - he is allowed with you in your delivery room unless you need any surgical intervention (and then anyone would be sent out, DH or female). hth

Tru Blu
Posts 1896

01/03/2012 19:25:02
Muesli Bar wrote:
At Latifa the only time your DH is not allowed with you, is when you go into the shared labour ward (with other ladies) - you won't be in there for long anyway - he is allowed with you in your delivery room unless you need any surgical intervention (and then anyone would be sent out, DH or female). hth

I had a planned c-section at Al Wasl. DH had to sign a few forms a few weeks before re: consent to be present during the procedure. The only part that he was not allowed in for was while they were giving me the spinal block. Last November I had another c-section for my twins and again DH was not allowed in during the spinal block - so it was same going both public and private.
If you do end up going Al Wasl (Latifa), let me know and I will hook you up with an excellent contact there.

M
Posts 433

01/03/2012 19:29:32
cp80 wrote:
Hi M, sorry to pop in but have a question regarding ADNIC cover. Did they cover NT, triple marker test and 20 week Anamoly scan?

Hi CP80 - They didn't cover all the tests but certainly some. The other issue is that it can depend on where the test is done - the Fetal Centre for example were only able to give a reimbursement form for one of the test (if I recall correctly!).

cp80
Posts 77

02/03/2012 14:32:46
Thanks M . Am going for 20 weeks anatomy scan on Sunday and was wondering if it was covered under ADNIC.

Trublu, I have a few questions to ask you about your twin delivery. Would it possible for you to drop me an email? My Id is book.fish2011@gmail.com. Thank you

EmilyG
Posts 1244

02/03/2012 19:13:48
Hi I had all 3 of my babies at AW so am reasonably familiar with them (lol). I didn't choose them for cost reasons (had insurance) but because they are the high risk hospital with the best nicu. The hospital is not flashy - similar to NHS only cleaner and much less crowded (in my exp).

I had 3 c-sections - 1 emcs and 2 planned. For my 1st, my dh was with me at all times, except overnight on ward while waiting for labour to start and during the emergency cs.

For my 2nd and 3rd, he was with me pretty much non-stop, including the spinal and the actual delivery. In fact he cut the cord for baby no.3 :-). For all 3 deliveries I was on a (quiet) ward for 1 night and in a private room thereafter (highly recommended). My dh didn't stay the night after the birth but was there all day until about 9pm.

Btw the rule excluding husbands from the labour ward is not applied consistently. In my exp, there were *often* men sitting with their wives on the ward, only behind the curtain surrounding the bed. As far as I can see, the rule is only enforced if there is a local lady present who requests it. At other times men are present.

I would definitely recommend AW to anyone with a high risk pregnancy and/or no insurance. You may not get pampered but the care is excellent *and* great value.

Nowadays some ppl feel that as normal deliveries are almost as much as a private hospital, there is no point in going to Latifa. But it's worth noting that private outfits has a *much* higher cs rate - so you need to budget for a cesarean. Last time we paid a total of AED17k - this included antenatal care (5k), the elcs (10k) and private room (about 2k). Privately that would have cost a good deal more e.g. AED25-30k.

Also registering at Latifa acts as an insurance policy in itself, since their nicu is great and *much* cheaper (about half that of city or AH). And if you encounter complications while pg and need to be admitted, care is charged at a very reasonable rate. I was admitted for dehydration at around 36 wks. Stayed the night, had 3 drips, countless tests and saw several doctors - all for AED360!

Best of luck to Willa - hope all goes well for you :-)

suzy2012
Posts 2

23/09/2012 16:23:48
Thank you Emily for your advice in this. I am torn between government and private hospital. The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is that I want my husband with me throughout and he is equally eager to be there.

I didn't understand what you meant by husband is not allowed in the labor ward. Would we not be in a private labor room? I am new to all of this as this is our first baby and not sure of exactly what happens. Really appreciate it if you can shed some light on exactly what I should expect in a govt hospital. Many thanks

AnonDubai
Posts 11391

23/09/2012 16:31:45
suzy2012 wrote:
Thank you Emily for your advice in this. I am torn between government and private hospital. The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is that I want my husband with me throughout and he is equally eager to be there.

I didn't understand what you meant by husband is not allowed in the labor ward. Would we not be in a private labor room? I am new to all of this as this is our first baby and not sure of exactly what happens. Really appreciate it if you can shed some light on exactly what I should expect in a govt hospital. Many thanks

Hi Suzy! When you arrive at the hospital in labor, you're put in a room where you stay until your labor has progressed and you're ready to have the baby. Your husband is not allowed in that room. Once your labor has progressed, you go to a private labor room where you have the baby and your husband can be with you.

I had a baby at the government hospital in June and it was a good experience. In my case, I never even had to go to the pre-labor room,

Canstee
Posts 5

11/11/2012 17:17:48
I am also in the same situation, however I have bought health insurance for myself and it will cover my newborn, should he/she (i don't know yet ) be born with a condition. You just never know and if there were any complications then it will be better to know that i can get the best treatment and the insurance will pay for it.

I spoke a broker. I am happy to pass over her details if you need any help/advice.

All the best.. :-)

Hassli
Posts 174

14/11/2012 13:42:39
Same here..

We don't have maternity coverage.
So, we took a loan and bought an insurance
Didn't regret it as everything here is so expensive

Wish you the best

Laura_C
Posts 234

14/11/2012 14:11:48
I personally think it's a bit risky to have a baby without proper maternity insurance. We are planning at the moment and definitely looked into maternity insurance when we bought our coverage.

The thing is although the normal stuff like prenatal care and delivery cost is reasonable at 12K to 25K AED, if something does go wrong, it will cost you through the roof.

If the baby needed the NICU, what I learned is that a lot of policies don't cover it. You need to make sure that your plan DOES have newborn coverage or does not underwrite newborns.

It just makes sense to get an insurance because the cost of the insurance is at most around 12K to 15K AED, so why not get that extra coverage when it costs the same as getting an insurance.

Yes, you do have to wait a bit longer before you can have the child because there are waiting periods, but in the long run, you will lower your risks overall a lot more.

Anyways, I'd speak to your insurance broker. I used a company that I was very happy with. If you want her details, let me know. I can pass it on to you.

Pages: 1 2

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.