How do you do a supermarket shop with a baby? | ExpatWoman.com

How do you do a supermarket shop with a baby?

Latest post on 09 January 2013 - 11:37
http://www.ucs.ae/tamayazloyaltycard.aspx
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 10:16
I always used a portable car seat, it fitted easily and safely across the top of the shopping trolley. I remember grocery shopping in Geneva, chatting away to my few-month-old baby, as I did, and a young new mum with a baby asking me if it was allowed to talk to babies the way I was talking to mine (talking about what I was buying, how much it cost, etc, etc) :) Made Oi larf :)
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 09:55
I always had mine in a baby carrier and shopping was very easy. As soon as the check-out guys saw the baby, someone came and helped unload the trolley and then of course pack it all up.
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 09:51
I brought these hooks which you place on the stroller on amazon, i place the basket on them and put the drinks and water underneath the stroller.
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 09:04
wait for your hubby to return home (preferably prepare yourself while he is on the way), feed baby and put her to sleep, RUN to shop and return AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Shopping with a baby is far more time consuming than without. You can shop double with half time. Source: Mother of 3. I can only speak as SAHM with the time to do it and I'm sure things would be different if I worked and had less time but whilst shopping in indeed less time consuming sans children, I've always taken my children shopping. I'd much rather they were out with me seeing and interacting with the world than left at home because it's easier. Plus my husband works long hours and when he gets home I actually like to sit down and have dinner and see him in the evenings rather than rushing off. My children all really enjoy shopping trips, when they are babies there is a lot to look at and when they are a bit older they love seeing their things on the shelves and putting them in the trolley and we talk about where everything comes from. I also find it a good way to encourage them to try new things. Anyway, like I said, SAHM with time on my hands, I understand why people who don't have the time might want to leave the little ones. I completely agree with you Daza. I work full time, and the supermarket is always a place that I take my kids...they love it! i don't think it takes much longer, but I am blessed with kids that actually walk in the direction that i want them to! Like Daza said, my 18 month old loves sitting in the trolley, looking around and then dropping my items in the trolley. My 5 year old loves searching for "her things". I love taking them with me!
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 08:57
wait for your hubby to return home (preferably prepare yourself while he is on the way), feed baby and put her to sleep, RUN to shop and return AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Shopping with a baby is far more time consuming than without. You can shop double with half time. Source: Mother of 3. I can only speak as SAHM with the time to do it and I'm sure things would be different if I worked and had less time but whilst shopping in indeed less time consuming sans children, I've always taken my children shopping. I'd much rather they were out with me seeing and interacting with the world than left at home because it's easier. Plus my husband works long hours and when he gets home I actually like to sit down and have dinner and see him in the evenings rather than rushing off. My children all really enjoy shopping trips, when they are babies there is a lot to look at and when they are a bit older they love seeing their things on the shelves and putting them in the trolley and we talk about where everything comes from. I also find it a good way to encourage them to try new things. Anyway, like I said, SAHM with time on my hands, I understand why people who don't have the time might want to leave the little ones.
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 08:43
On the coop note, they now have a customer club, with a few discounts and a small reward. Is that open for everyone? They might be trying to compete with Carrefour. Yes. There is gold membership (for shareholders), and silver (for everyone). You can join at any coops info desk. thought you had to be Emirati? Yes the lady at the counter yesterday asked me if I have a discount card, I said no. Then I asked her if I can get one and she said that it is only for locals. So my understanding is that it is only for Emiratis as well.
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 08:40
On the coop note, they now have a customer club, with a few discounts and a small reward. Is that open for everyone? They might be trying to compete with Carrefour. Yes. There is gold membership (for shareholders), and silver (for everyone). You can join at any coops info desk. thought you had to be Emirati?
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 08:33
I'm sure all of you here know this, but need to be careful with putting bags on pram handles. I was in C4 once and caught a pram as it was tipping, loaded with bags on the handles and the parent had turned away to get something off a shelf. So maybe a better idea to get someone to help you. Am sure the grocery guys would love a tip (hopefully a) one is offered for being a 'personal shopper' and b) they are allowed to accept?) You can buy weights to Velcro round the buggy frame just above the wheels - mine never tipped and I got a workout pushing the extra weight lol
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 06:22
I thought this was a joke when i read the title. You take the baby in its car seat and put it at the end of the trolly. I didn't think it was a joke... my car seat doesn't fit at the end of the trolley so it doesn't work for everybody. Personally I like the sling. The baby is right with me and I can turn away from the cart without worry as babe is always right there with me :)
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 01:17
I'm sure all of you here know this, but need to be careful with putting bags on pram handles. I was in C4 once and caught a pram as it was tipping, loaded with bags on the handles and the parent had turned away to get something off a shelf. So maybe a better idea to get someone to help you. Am sure the grocery guys would love a tip (hopefully a) one is offered for being a 'personal shopper' and b) they are allowed to accept?)
Latest post on 07 January 2013 - 00:49
I find it easier to just leave the baby at home with DH and do my shopping. Cuts your shopping time in half as you not fussing with car seats and strollers etc. I usually schedule it while baby is either napping or just bathed and fed. Thats normally after 8pm. Luckily we have the luxury of supermarkets closing late here.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 23:54
I thought this was a joke when i read the title. You take the baby in its car seat and put it at the end of the trolly.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 23:48
wait for your hubby to return home (preferably prepare yourself while he is on the way), feed baby and put her to sleep, RUN to shop and return AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Shopping with a baby is far more time consuming than without. You can shop double with half time. Source: Mother of 3.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 23:12
1) Take maid 2) Buy less HTH
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 22:54
On the coop note, they now have a customer club, with a few discounts and a small reward. Is that open for everyone? They might be trying to compete with Carrefour.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 22:43
Leave umbrella stroller at left luggage desk (C4) Put baby in trolley infant seat When he/she gets tired, carry him with one arm and push trolley with other Finish shopping Collect stroller and put in trolley Return to car OR Don't use trolley Leave baby in stroller Hang a couple of reusable C4 bags on stroller handles Put shopping straight in bags When baby gets bored, carry with one arm and push stroller with other. IF baby gets hungry, sit on chair in garden furniture dept and feed him Voila!
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 22:04
write list, fax it to Choithrams and go and pick up (recommend Safa Park branch). OR take baby in stroller and walk around with a shelf packer guy and he can put your stuff in the cart for you.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 21:19
Write list; send your Husband. <em>edited by Ayzzy on 06/01/2013</em>
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 21:13
OMG Daza! Pushing a trolley and a stroller! You are more coordinated than me that's for sure. Think I will take the as yet unused Baby Bjorn as she was buried under groceries today in the pram lol! They don't have baby trolleys at my local Spinneys [b'>but they really should[/b'>. Going to check out the Earlybird website so I can get all the heavy stuff on a monthly basis :) Maybe they don't because most mums use the various methods described on this thread... I've done the buggy and trolley push - it's really not that hard..If it's really that much of an issue for you can't you shop in the evening and let your husband look after baby ?? or shop together... we're spoilt here having everything open so late...
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 21:05
you do not have to push a cart or stroller..surely things have not gone back 50 years lol.....snugglies and their more modern carriers are wonderful, yet, I rarely see anyone using them here. In north america they are very popular..we do housework with our babies on our fronts, dads carry them, front and back,,, just like a papoose lol..I didnt use a carriage other than going for a long walk but around the house, baby was attached and we were both hands free lol... I use a Baby Bjorn carrier around the house but when I'm doing the grocery shopping I often use a buggy as my baby carseat snaps straight in to the buggy wheels so I don't need to get baby out of the carseat and disturb them if they are sleeping. I've also found that I used my carrier out and about a lot more in the UK than here simply because at any time other than winter here the combination of the warmer weather, a hot baby right next to me and breastfeeding boobs radiating heat mean both baby and I are a hot sweaty mess within minutes.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 20:19
Hi I use my fabric sling for shopping with the trolley and for dog walking. I am going to try putting Harry into the trolley and strapping him in with a velcro strap I bought in Ace. If that doesn't work, then I'll stick to the sling, or going shopping with dh.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 20:02
you do not have to push a cart or stroller..surely things have not gone back 50 years lol.....snugglies and their more modern carriers are wonderful, yet, I rarely see anyone using them here. In north america they are very popular..we do housework with our babies on our fronts, dads carry them, front and back,,, just like a papoose lol..I didnt use a carriage other than going for a long walk but around the house, baby was attached and we were both hands free lol...
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 19:24
Used to push a double buggy with baby twins in it with one hand while having toddler twins wrist strapped to the sides of the buggy and pull a trolley behind. Now I just push one trolley and pull another to feed everyone! ? Something's don't change much, but hands still full.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 19:19
snuggly, do they not have those here? better than a sling as they stay strapped to your body and when you bend they stay put...great for shopping until about 2 or 3 months then they go on the back ;)...Slings are great if you have a hand to hold them from swinging when shopping...or....share with a friend. she watches your baby for 2 hours so you can do your shop and get home, put it away, or at least get it home..then you do the same for her :)
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 19:14
It took me a while to figure this one out too! I am pretty sure Spinneys no longer have the trolleys with the car seat attachment on for safety reasons but i could be wrong? i take my stroller and shove one basket underneath in the stroller's basket and i carry another basket. It means I can't do a big trolley shop but if I plan it out it's not too much of a problem.. I also use earlybird for the heavy stuff which helps.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 18:34
Have a look on the net at 'trolley ae' and see if you live within their delivery area. Even if you are just outside it, you can always ask them if they will come to you. It's run by Aswaaq Supermarket in Umm Sequim, there are lots of items on their pages and they are reliable. My DD lives in Barsha South and uses them for all her bulk buying of cleaning materials, water, etc. She has a favourites list and then adds anything else she needs at the time. You pay on line but if there is anything not available that you ordered, they refund at the time of delivery. It has drastically cut down the time she spends shopping. <em>edited by amelia on 06/01/2013</em>
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 18:13
We also do our bulk, meat shopping once a month from union and then weekly (milk, juice, fruits) from either Carrefour or Spinneys. With one it was easy to just put his car seat in the top, seat part of the cart. When he started sitting up, I would take him out of his car seat and plop him in the seat of the cart. Even if I just had the car seat clicked on the stroller, I have enough space in the bottom basket for A LOT! Now with two, I take the baby in the Bjorn and the older one sits in the cart. Or if the hubby is with me and don't feel like carrying baby in the Bjorn, we'll take two carts, one for each of them.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 18:08
I'm sure you'd get the hang of it fast TDB! It's a good arm workout.
Latest post on 06 January 2013 - 17:33
I used a wrap sling, Carrefour and spinneys both have trolleys with seats suitable for babies that aren't sitting up yet, just cover them with a blanket as suggested below. shopping when they're small is easy compared to when they can help themselves to stuff off the shelves!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY