Expat Forum
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Hobbies & Interests » What are you reading
Pages: 1 2 3

sarahloudxb
Posts 338

11/10/2011 16:14:36
Finally my copy of One Day was delivered by Amazon... OMG i cannot put it down... Pass the kleenex

kelly1814
Posts 3848

11/10/2011 16:21:16
just started shantaram...heard great things about it....

Sanddy_Dogg
Posts 9516

11/10/2011 16:26:19
I loved Shantaram! I didn't take it too seriously but enjoyed the story from start to end.

I'm currently reading The Girl Who Played With Fire and hoping it doesn't disappoint me like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo did.

Blackr0s3
Posts 66

11/10/2011 16:38:18
I just finished reading 'the help' great book indeed, next on line is perfume have been on my to read list since forever.
Read the dragon tattoo trilogy last year it's worth reading and fun to read but not exactly a 'best book I ever read' kind of thing

Sanddy_Dogg
Posts 9516

11/10/2011 16:39:07
Perfume by Patrick Suskind?

If so, it's one of my all-time favourites and I've read it several times.

sarahloudxb
Posts 338

11/10/2011 17:06:12
Blakro53

I watched the Help movie recently and it is sooo good.. :-)

Blackr0s3
Posts 66

11/10/2011 21:18:51
Sanddy_Dogg wrote:
Perfume by Patrick Suskind?

If so, it's one of my all-time favourites and I've read it several times.

That's the one! I have downloaded it but don't think I should start reading it now as need to drop kids at school in the morning and have this very bad habit of staying up late trying to finishing every book in one go. I did that with 'the help' and was up till 5 in the morning and the whole next day was sooooooo tough

coco pops
Posts 738

11/10/2011 23:49:24
I went out and bought The Power by the author who wrote The Secret....so let's see ....

fairytale
Posts 130

12/10/2011 00:40:29
@coco pops - both are excellent books, but I think The Secret is the best "positivity" book there is.

I am currently reading Bill Bryson's At Home - AN EXCELLENT BOOK! It tells the history of families and homes. In example why are homes built as they are? Why do we have a kitchen and separate living room / bedroom? Why do we use salt and pepper and not example cinnamon and chilli? Why do buildings look like they look etc. Answers to endless questions about human history.

Nosey Norah
Posts 235

12/10/2011 07:48:26
I read a Sophie Hannah book over the summer, well actually it took my 2 days as I couldnt put it down. I am now trying to work my way through her back catalogue and they are not disappointing!!

janesul
Posts 4131

12/10/2011 08:03:39
fairytale wrote:
I am currently reading Bill Bryson's At Home - AN EXCELLENT BOOK! It tells the history of families and homes. In example why are homes built as they are? Why do we have a kitchen and separate living room / bedroom? Why do we use salt and pepper and not example cinnamon and chilli? Why do buildings look like they look etc. Answers to endless questions about human history.

I read this over the summer and loved it! Tonnes of trivia and interesting historical facts. Mr Bryson rarely disappoints does he?

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible at the moment. It's been on my list to read for a long time and so far so good....

fairwater
Posts 2096

12/10/2011 09:22:39
coco pops wrote:
I went out and bought The Power by the author who wrote The Secret....so let's see ....

i didnt enjoy or get into this book as i did the secret. but for you i hope you do.

shyzie
Posts 144

12/10/2011 09:44:38
Reading Room by Emma Donoghue....didnt quite like it in the begining....but must say quite hooked onto it at the moment.....the next on my must read list is The Help
edited by shyzie on 12/10/2011

Om el banat
Posts 466

12/10/2011 09:59:15
shyzie wrote:
Reading Room by Emma Donoghue....didnt quite like it in the begining....but must say quite hooked onto it at the moment.....the next on my must read list is The Help
edited by shyzie on 12/10/2011

I did the exact sequence and enjoyed it a lot

urban socialite
Posts 172

12/10/2011 10:08:02
Out of curiousity, are you all avid readers mothers of toddlers or babies at the moment? Quite ashamed of myself if you are as the last book I read was when i was in the hospital to have my baby, almost a year ago. Havent been able to pick up a book since then. last book I read was Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Nosey Norah
Posts 235

12/10/2011 14:36:12
Yip I have a 22 month old. I am really lucky that she is quite content and sleeps for 2-3 hours during the day which give me an hour or so while she is sleeping to run round the house with the mop, clean the bathrooms etc and then an hour to read. Doesnt always work out that way but my books are my escapism and chill out

rhubarb
Posts 2549

12/10/2011 14:43:05
couldn't put 'one day' down either! am about to start The Slap.

twin_butterfly
Posts 658

12/10/2011 15:01:24
janesul wrote:
fairytale wrote:

I read this over the summer and loved it! Tonnes of trivia and interesting historical facts. Mr Bryson rarely disappoints does he?

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible at the moment. It's been on my list to read for a long time and so far so good....

LOVE Bill Bryson - will make sure I get a copy of this on my next trip to the mall! Also a (reasonably) new mum and will be hard to find the time but will have it on hand when the occasion arises

sarahloudxb
Posts 338

12/10/2011 15:13:44
Shadow of the Wind is a great book too! not my usual read but was recommended it years ago and have re-read it several times. Just finished One Day and all i can say is WOW!

kazzaroo
Posts 54

12/10/2011 17:39:40
Absolutely LOVED Shantaram, The Help, Room and Water for Elephants!

I have to say I was a little dissapointed by One Day, whilst its an fantastic book it didnt quite match my expectations after hearing all the hype. Still, I had trouble putting it down!!

Just started A week in December, which will be followed by The Slap, We need to talk about Kevin and When God was a rabbit

My fave all time book has to be The Book Thief!

Cant wait till Xmas so I can stock up again! Think I will be adding Bill Bryson's At home to the wish list!

Blackr0s3
Posts 66

12/10/2011 19:48:15
sarahloudxb wrote:
Shadow of the Wind is a great book too! not my usual read but was recommended it years ago and have re-read it several times. Just finished One Day and all i can say is WOW!

Shadow of the wind is my most favourite book too just lovvvvvve it

And I am greedily noting down all these titles on my reading list

coco pops
Posts 738

12/10/2011 20:08:27
fairwater wrote:
coco pops wrote:

I didnt enjoy or get into this book as i did the secret. but for you i hope you do.

I've not read The Secret, but I'd heard such good reviews about it. My friends were raging about it, o I thought I'd get this one to see what the hype is about.
I've not read much, but so far I'm not feeling it either.....maybe I'll try and borrow the secret to compare.
But right now I'd rather be reading Eat,Pray,Love...which I also got Big Grin

Lynett84
Posts 319

12/10/2011 22:24:07
I have e book collection of Paulo cohelo.. If anyone wants, I can always share!!

coco pops
Posts 738

12/10/2011 22:30:25
Rabiaah wrote:
I have e book collection of Paulo cohelo.. If anyone wants, I can always share!!

oooh when i convert to ebooks I shall call on you......right now I can't bring myself to convert ...nothing beats a book and that smell & feeling you get from a book Big Grin

Dan Lou
Posts 3791

12/10/2011 22:49:06
coco pops wrote:
I've not read The Secret, but I'd heard such good reviews about it. My friends were raging about it, o I thought I'd get this one to see what the hype is about.
I've not read much, but so far I'm not feeling it either.....maybe I'll try and borrow the secret to compare.
But right now I'd rather be reading Eat,Pray,Love...which I also got Big Grin

I was given The Secret BOOK and found it a bit clumsy, for want of a better word? Once I watched The Secret MOVIE I "got it" a lot more and love it, nothing new but makes sense. Even got hubby watching it!

Lynett84
Posts 319

12/10/2011 23:48:28
coco pops wrote:
Rabiaah wrote:

oooh when i convert to ebooks I shall call on you......right now I can't bring myself to convert ...nothing beats a book and that smell & feeling you get from a book Big Grin

That's so true!! If I were to choose, I'd go for the physical book. but the virtual ones are easy to share
edited by Rabiaah on 12/10/2011

jophiel
Posts 204

13/10/2011 07:38:42
Reading an autobiographical account Behind the Veil by Lydia Laube. She penned it over 20 years ago. Very interesting. .

ETA Spelling
edited by jophiel on 01/04/2012

Tru Blu
Posts 1908

13/10/2011 08:36:42
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood. And loving it!!!!!!

scratch
Posts 481

13/10/2011 08:44:10
just finished the golden cage - 3 brothers 3 choices - it's written by an iranian nobel peace prize winner shirin ebadi.
it's a kleenex job but is also filled with amazing history about the politics of iran. loved it!
now im waiting for my friend to finish shantaram to pass it on.

highland lass
Posts 750

13/10/2011 09:45:22
Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy but its hard going right now. Think I'm on chapter 10 and still finding it incredibly boring. Once I've started a book I have to finish so slogging away as fast as I can.
Before that I read Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. DD had downloaded it into my Kindle as its on her school book reading list for the year. Seriously weird. Don't know what the author puts on his shreddies in the morning, But definitely not milk!
If you have kids with vivid imaginations they're going to love it.

Pages: 1 2 3

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map Home Page

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.