ExpatWoman
Sign in to your account
Close window
Username:
Password:
 
Remember me?
Sign in to your account
Username:
Password:
 

what word annoys you?

PostsPosts 2100


03/11/2011 08:27:36
 
GRUB, I just cant stand this word to describe food.

PostsPosts 9418


03/11/2011 08:32:18
 
"Kid"

For some inexplicable reason, "kids" doesn't worry me, but "My kid ..." just irritates me.

PostsPosts 8521


03/11/2011 08:38:28
 
I hate the word "Bab". I also don't like being referred to as "Darling".

PostsPosts 2453


03/11/2011 08:39:10
 
i hate being refereed to as "sister" and i also hate the word "revert"

Also Kid - what are they baby goats????

PostsPosts 7708


03/11/2011 08:39:41
 
Sweetie as in "Hi Sweetie". Ugh! Sounds so fake and insincere.

PostsPosts 4654


03/11/2011 08:45:57
 
When you're dealing with people and they answer you saying 'My dear' .... its completely insincere and rude.

seems to be a very common Dubai thing, never had it said to me anywhere else in the world.
edited by Di@DXB on 03/11/2011

PostsPosts 4131


03/11/2011 08:50:56
 
Green-ish wrote:
"Kid"

For some inexplicable reason, "kids" doesn't worry me, but "My kid ..." just irritates me.


Same here. "My kid" sounds like you don't love them somehow

PostsPosts 7181


03/11/2011 08:51:28
 
I can't bear it when people use ''nom nom'' when talking about food!

PostsPosts 4318


03/11/2011 08:55:01
 
Babe....

PostsPosts 3946


03/11/2011 08:55:23
 
Foe me it is an arabic word "Maalesh" that means something like nevermind. I also hate Crimbo : a slang word for christmas, Barbie for BBQ.....why not use the proper word.

PostsPosts 733


03/11/2011 09:02:37
 
The phrase, "going forward" used about non-business stuff

PostsPosts 369


03/11/2011 09:05:28
 
Di@DXB wrote:
When you're dealing with people and they say 'My dear' its completely insincere and rude.


Exactly!!

PostsPosts 3791


03/11/2011 09:09:37
 
shaks wrote:
Foe me it is an arabic word "Maalesh" that means something like nevermind. I also hate Crimbo : a slang word for christmas, Barbie for BBQ.....why not use the proper word.


"Barbie" is Australian slang, we shorten anything and everything, very lazy!
It should only annoy you if non-Aussies are using it!!

PostsPosts 3560


03/11/2011 09:13:26
 
Inshallah

Beautiful word ... but when you say "Inshallah I would meet you at 3:00 pm", "Inshallah your tap would stop leaking" it just annoys the **** out of me. Grrrrr

PostsPosts 1481


03/11/2011 09:26:19
 
"tell me" Whaaaaa?

PostsPosts 4318


03/11/2011 09:26:34
 
ilovewine wrote:
"tell me" Whaaaaa?


Haha YES i sooooo agree

PostsPosts 563


03/11/2011 09:32:41
 
let's see, specific to Dubai, the most annoying abuse of the English language ever:
-do the needful
-the same, the same, the same (till you turn blue in the face)
-the same the above (a variation on the same theme)
-to intimate something
-abusing 'the'
-abusing apostrophe 's

PostsPosts 43


03/11/2011 09:46:42
 
Misuse and overuse of the word 'avail' drives me potty - eg radio adverts telling you to 'avail an offer' Grrrrr!

PostsPosts 416


03/11/2011 10:20:45
 
louisedvs wrote:
Babe....


and Hun
edited by hilbos on 03/11/2011

PostsPosts 2855


03/11/2011 10:35:45
 
I hate it when people say ' at the end of the day' !!!!!!!!!!!!! arrrrrrraaaahhh !

PostsPosts 1025


03/11/2011 10:39:47
 
Chill or Chillax or the like when used in response to someone's genuinely difficult situation.

For example, when I was trying to get out of a mad, abusive, empty marriage and hit roadblocks that meant further delays or possibly the divorce not coming thru and a good friend's response would be 'Chill'

PostsPosts 1079


03/11/2011 10:52:07
 
Redlesley wrote:
I can't bear it when people use ''nom nom'' when talking about food!


Was just reading this word on a friends facebook page - it drives me mad as well!

PostsPosts 707


03/11/2011 11:07:34
 
"YES, MAAAAAAAAAAAAAM................"

PostsPosts 397


03/11/2011 11:07:46
 
MaaaaamSiiiiiiir

Simsim - erything simsim maaaam

PostsPosts 1073


03/11/2011 11:15:09
 
'Gift' used as a verb rather than a noun grrrrr

PostsPosts 1341


03/11/2011 11:26:38
 
hiccup wrote:
Inshallah

Beautiful word ... but when you say "Inshallah I would meet you at 3:00 pm", "Inshallah your tap would stop leaking" it just annoys the **** out of me. Grrrrr


Same. Also "Madam" and "Babe"

PostsPosts 855


03/11/2011 11:29:19
 
When sales staff say "for a while", instead of asking me to wait for a minute or two.

"do you have this T-shirt in blue?"
"for a while maaaaam"

PostsPosts 14


03/11/2011 11:30:01
 
mushypeas wrote:
I hate it when people say ' at the end of the day' !!!!!!!!!!!!! arrrrrrraaaahhh !


I agree hahahahah

PostsPosts 733


03/11/2011 11:38:16
 
IAMVP wrote:
When sales staff say "for a while", instead of asking me to wait for a minute or two.

"do you have this T-shirt in blue?"
"for a while maaaaam"


Isn't this more of a language issue?

PostsPosts 71


03/11/2011 11:39:34
 
Kakariki wrote:
Redlesley wrote:
I can't bear it when people use ''nom nom'' when talking about food!


Was just reading this word on a friends facebook page - it drives me mad as well!


Pardon my ignorance...is that a word in some language?

ETA...Oh as in the sound?
edited by nnair on 03/11/2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 

On ExpatWoman Today