ExpatWoman
Sign in to your account
Close window
Username:
Password:
 
Remember me?
Sign in to your account
Username:
Password:
 
Expat Forum

Basil in a pot - inside or out?

PostsPosts 21079


04/12/2011 18:46:31
 
which is best?

PostsPosts 17


04/12/2011 22:00:41
 
I am not an expert but in my house there is not much light. From what I know, plants need sun to come in and as the windows are treated they will not let the ultraviolets (I think) in. I keep my basil in a pot ouside, almost petrified in summer, but now with the cool air it seems revitalised again. New fresh branches are coming out. Also very well are doing the parsley and other aromatic plants, and I do not have the hearth to use them for kitchen. Do you know, if I cut the parsley it will grow again, or I need to plant another?

PostsPosts 99


04/12/2011 22:05:32
 
I think basil must be pretty hardy. We've had ours inside next to the window for a year and use it in meals probably once a week, and it's still going strong. We just got a mint plant and I'm hoping it does just as well!

PostsPosts 3946


08/12/2011 20:26:36
 
I have mint , parsley, basil , coriander and thyme all doing well but I killed 3 rosemary plants this year. you can cut parsley , coriander....and they will grow back

PostsPosts 3946


08/12/2011 20:27:25
 
Forgot to add all pots are on my window sill

PostsPosts 416


08/12/2011 23:24:31
 
I keep basil,thyme and rosemary in an old wine box on the patio - semi shaded and out of midday sun doing very healthy try not to overwater and trim regularly - any excess - pop into a plastic tub - no lid in the kitchen - it will dry quickly and the flavours on oven roasted tomatoes are immense

PostsPosts 21079


13/01/2012 20:21:57
 
Well it is still going and has been indoors for most of the time. I think over watering is probably the biggest cause of problems with these.

PostsPosts 2929


30/03/2012 03:18:07
 
shaks wrote:
I killed 3 rosemary plants this year
How did you kill them?

I got a small plant from the Farmers Market, transferred it to shady spot in garden. it hasn't grown much in 2 months. My friends said to not over-water the rosemary.

is it true that mint needs lots of water?

PostsPosts 2858


06/04/2012 14:21:39
 
Our basil has lasted outside for 6 months not much water sun all morning...

PostsPosts 5


19/04/2012 19:27:51
 
Mine is outside, gets a few hours of sun and is watered twice a day. It is growing extremely fast at the moment.

PostsPosts 1816


19/04/2012 19:47:38
 
Apricot wrote:
shaks wrote:
I killed 3 rosemary plants this year
How did you kill them?

I got a small plant from the Farmers Market, transferred it to shady spot in garden. it hasn't grown much in 2 months. My friends said to not over-water the rosemary.

is it true that mint needs lots of water?


Be careful with mint,it can go mad with runner roots. I always plant
mine in a bucket and plant the bucket in the ground.It does like water
but don't overwater it . I had mine in semi shade.

PostsPosts 2929


19/04/2012 23:58:05
 
Nomad wrote:
Be careful with mint,it can go mad with runner roots. I always plant
mine in a bucket and plant the bucket in the ground.It does like water
but don't overwater it . I had mine in semi shade.

Thanks for the tips! I went ahead and planted the seedling straight into the ground, in a semi-shaded area. So far it's alive and healthy but not growing anymore either vertically or horizontally. The rosemary seedling, which I planted at the same time in a more shaded area, has finally begun to grow vertically. It looks healthy and eager to grow some more.

PostsPosts 1816


20/04/2012 02:30:48
 
Apricot wrote:
Nomad wrote:
Be careful with mint,it can go mad with runner roots. I always plant
mine in a bucket and plant the bucket in the ground.It does like water
but don't overwater it . I had mine in semi shade.

Thanks for the tips! I went ahead and planted the seedling straight into the ground, in a semi-shaded area. So far it's alive and healthy but not growing anymore either vertically or horizontally. The rosemary seedling, which I planted at the same time in a more shaded area, has finally begun to grow vertically. It looks healthy and eager to grow some more.


How long ago did you plant it? What you could do is transfer it into a pot and
by moving the pot around you can see which location it thrives in,then plant
it in the ground.I used this little trick a no of times.
All the best and enjoy your lemonade mint crush.....

PostsPosts 2929


23/04/2012 15:34:53
 
Apricot wrote:
So far it's alive and healthy but not growing anymore either vertically or horizontally.

Wrote too soon! A few days later, the mint plant just withered up and died.

Pages: 1
 
Explore our country guide

On ExpatWoman Today