GEMS Education Dubai
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Shoreline - Landlord Arrears On Maintenance Charges
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

jess_pink
Posts 32

10/12/2011 14:35:37
We have just walked through reception to find a list posted showing what landlords are in arrears for this year........It is INCREDIBLE and suggest those applying for cards check the lists in their receptions. Our Landlord is nearly 500,000AED in arrears across 3 apartments just in our building....he has 9 other apartments on Shoreline!!!!!

Nakheel have been refusing 'New' access cards to tenants whose apartments have outstanding maintenance fees.....Ni wonder our Landlords PA has dropped of the face of the earth!!!!!

The Fairybread Thief
Posts 255

10/12/2011 14:44:56
I read an article (I think in Gulf news) about whole buildings being threatened with having their electricity and water cut off because certain landlords were in arrears with DEWA. THe comments suggested it had affected people on the Palm, Silicon Oasis and Interenational Village.

It seems their only saving grace this time, was the security guards who begged DEWA not to cut off yet until the building management had contacted the landlords. But the up shot was that even if other tenant's landlords had paid, they would still lose access to their facilities because of the number who hadn't.

Now this.... There has to be a better way of managing these buidlings in accordance with tenants' rights.

Masafi Mama
Posts 368

19/12/2011 18:32:21
We have also found out that our landlord owes quite a lot(!!!) of maintenance fees. We cannot get these cards until he pays them, which he has no intention of doing so. We are totally stuck now in an apartment with no beach, pool or gym access for the remaining 8 months of our lease!!!!

Argh - anyone have any bright ideas (apart from move)...

Hydepark38
Posts 41

19/12/2011 18:39:06
its a catch 22 situation - the LL's are complaining that Nakheel are not keeping up the maintenance and are refusing to pay - the owners association is up in arms - we lived on the palm and have moved because of the situation - we were refunded in full for our rental as we were not told about the costs of taking out membership as we were told it was included

edna.welthorpe
Posts 608

19/12/2011 19:09:59
Unfortunately, this was always going to happen. The Palm is horrendously expensive to maintain because of what it is and where it's been built, and so the service charges are naturally high. When they invested in the Palm, many LLs didn't stop to consider what they would do if rental values fell, because of course Dubai was different and there was no way that rental values could ever fall, etc etc.

Bottom line, many LLs simply can't afford to pay the service charges. Not "won't" - CAN'T. They were relying on rents continuing to rise in order to fund all their necessary commitments, and they've ended up overextending themselves, sometimes quite dramatically.

Ali.K
Posts 1006

19/12/2011 21:02:30
Is there a list of landlords who are in arrears in every building? Would love to know if my landlord is in debt.

Ali.K
Posts 1006

19/12/2011 21:42:07
Curiosity got the better of me.............every building has a public list of every apartment with owner named and amount owed............you can't believe some of the figures!!

GattaMatta
Posts 409

19/12/2011 22:13:49
I am trying to put a limit to my polemical vein as New Year's resolution so I cannot take part in this discussion.
I suspect I should leave the country, if I really want to succeed in my resolution, actually...Big Grin

Kathyt
Posts 733

19/12/2011 23:01:31
Please give us your thoughts....

busybee2
Posts 11581

19/12/2011 23:06:05
The Fairybread Thief wrote:
I read an article (I think in Gulf news) about whole buildings being threatened with having their electricity and water cut off because certain landlords were in arrears with DEWA. THe comments suggested it had affected people on the Palm, Silicon Oasis and Interenational Village.

It seems their only saving grace this time, was the security guards who begged DEWA not to cut off yet until the building management had contacted the landlords. But the up shot was that even if other tenant's landlords had paid, they would still lose access to their facilities because of the number who hadn't.

Now this.... There has to be a better way of managing these buidlings in accordance with tenants' rights.

its the law thought that even if the landlords are in arrears the electricity cannot be cut off.

Desertedbeach
Posts 57

19/12/2011 23:08:40
See the other thread for my thoughts.

There is a Facebook group. Might be worth you all joining.

And email the national: CMercer@thenational.ae

M1dono
Posts 141

20/12/2011 08:13:52
My friend came home one day to her electricity being cut off in her apt' (studio). She was a single girl living on her own and would have been pretty stuck if she didn't have us to stay with. DEWA insisted she pay 11,000dhs for ONE MONTHS bill and when she contested it, they cut her off. She eventually ended up having to pay and they were a nightmare to deal with, she found it extremely stressful.......So while it may be illegal, it does happen...

Cornish Pixie
Cornish Pixie
Posts 6033

20/12/2011 08:24:31
I am becoming increasingly concerned about tenants rights here. My job involves helping people move into Dubai and I get the feeling that before any one of us signs for an apartment/villa we should check the credit worthiness of the future landlord. I intend to contact RERA and see if there is a method of doing this easily and cheaply, the onus is on the tenant to pay everything up front for a year but there is no protection it seems from the landlord reneging on their responsibilties.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

20/12/2011 08:41:25
Just to play devil's advocate here, why should you have access to beach, gym etc if the owner hasn't paid his service charge.

Cornish Pixie
Cornish Pixie
Posts 6033

20/12/2011 08:46:49
IzzyDubai wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate here, why should you have access to beach, gym etc if the owner hasn't paid his service charge.

BUT the tenant has paid the rent UP FRONT and in good faith to have access to facilities. The poor old tenant is the one who always suffers in this city, he is the easiest to cheat and has few repercussions to the (often absentee) landlord.

derien
Posts 2109

20/12/2011 08:50:14
Cornish Pixie wrote:
I am becoming increasingly concerned about tenants rights here. My job involves helping people move into Dubai and I get the feeling that before any one of us signs for an apartment/villa we should check the credit worthiness of the future landlord. I intend to contact RERA and see if there is a method of doing this easily and cheaply, the onus is on the tenant to pay everything up front for a year but there is no protection it seems from the landlord reneging on their responsibilties.

But why do tenants continue to play into the hands of greedy landlords. If everyone just refused to pay 1 year up front, then things would change. It's a renter's market but landlords still seem to be on top.

Desertedbeach
Posts 57

20/12/2011 08:50:31
Because I pay my rent up front and included in my tenancy agreement is acccess to the facilities.

Why would I NOT expect access? Just because it's Dubai?

One would assume that after taking my money the landlord would "do the needful" and pay his/her bills.

derien
Posts 2109

20/12/2011 08:51:15
IzzyDubai wrote:

Because the owner would neved fess up to the tenant before renting it out. It's cheating pure and simple.

Cornish Pixie
Cornish Pixie
Posts 6033

20/12/2011 08:56:56
derien wrote:

But why do tenants continue to play into the hands of greedy landlords. If everyone just refused to pay 1 year up front, then things would change. It's a renter's market but landlords still seem to be on top.

How I wish this would change! A few years ago when they (RERA) reviewed the rental laws here most of us who work in this field would have welcomed a shorter rental contract with monthly rents BUT I think the owners/landlords do not want this change to happen and they have a bigger voice.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

20/12/2011 09:02:34
Cornish Pixie wrote:
derien wrote:

How I wish this would change! A few years ago when they (RERA) reviewed the rental laws here most of us who work in this field would have welcomed a shorter rental contract with monthly rents BUT I think the owners/landlords do not want this change to happen and they have a bigger voice.

But annual rents are a ME thing - all of the gulf states operate this way; including for nationals of that country.

littleone
Posts 1242

20/12/2011 09:02:36
We are on the Palm in Golden Mile and yes Dewa did cut the services to the building, mainly water and lift access. These were common areas and the disconnection was a result of some landlords not paying their fees and the owner association not paying the Dewa bill. Personally, I think Dewa are within their rights to cut the services off, they are not a credit provider they are a business and businesses are to make profits or to get paid for the services they provide.

We were lucky that our landlord, who owns property in both shoreline and gm, showed us the receipt from paying his owners association fees. So that gave us comfort that he has met his obligations. But has he met all of his obligations under the lease, no, we were told that we would have access to a pool, but we dont and that's three years down the line.

DH and I were discussing this issue last night. DH suggested RERA should sell one of these apartments to claim back the owners association fees but that then leaves the issue of a mortgage to be paid out and if there is anything left over to pay the fees. Its all a vicious circle. I dont think Nakheel is doing its premium product any favours, in fact I think they seriously need to engage some good PR to fix the mess that they have done to their reputation and to the Palm.

If the owners dont want Nakheel as their owners association, vote them out and appoint other strata managers.

The only thing I am sure of is that this saga is like "days of our lives", its a never ending story and the residents are the ones bearing the brunt of the frustrations.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

20/12/2011 09:43:52
Cornish Pixie wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:

BUT the tenant has paid the rent UP FRONT

While i understand that; in someways its irrelevant. The LL does not have the right to use the facilities as he has not paid; so therefore the tenant also has no right to use them. Although this is really harsh for the tenant, are Nakheel really doing anything wrong?? - if you had a business would you still provide a service to people who wouldn't pay???

glenfiddich
Posts 777

20/12/2011 10:59:26
IzzyDubai wrote:
Cornish Pixie wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:

While i understand that; in someways its irrelevant. The LL does not have the right to use the facilities as he has not paid; so therefore the tenant also has no right to use them. Although this is really harsh for the tenant, are Nakheel really doing anything wrong?? - if you had a business would you still provide a service to people who wouldn't pay???

So what can the tenants do? Hold a sit-in at the gym???

KARAZY MAMA
Posts 239

20/12/2011 11:00:49
glenfiddich wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:
Cornish Pixie wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:

Well the tenants could make a case against their landlord.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

20/12/2011 11:09:26
KARAZY MAMA wrote:
glenfiddich wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:
Cornish Pixie wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:

Well the tenants could make a case against their landlord.

Exactly!!!

Birchy
Posts 925

20/12/2011 11:54:56
But annual rents are a ME thing - all of the gulf states operate this way; including for nationals of that country.

We are nationals and we pay monthly always have and always will do, if everyone said we are paying monthly what choice would the landlord have.

GattaMatta
Posts 409

20/12/2011 12:24:51
Actually, basic services should never be interrupted (i am referring to those cases in which electricity, water, a/c have been disrupted). As far as the kind of things we are talking to, the service provider should legally pursue the landlord to retrieve the credit and that's it, what is this thing of involving the innocent tenant?
And, even if we admit it is civilized (ok, i take a breath and mumble peace and love, i am starting to get nervous Big Grin) to cut the services down, I would expect the tenant to be able to stop paying part of the rental until the service is re-established, getting back at the landlord with whom the contract exists, and the landlord pursuing the service provider for not providing the service or the service providing pursuing the landlord for not paying, case by case.
It all has to do in my opinion with a strange, to me, legal system in which the weak element of the chain is never protected, be it the tenant, the employee, the child, the expat, the stray animal, whatever or whomever.
If I am going to far just remove my post, not the whole thread please.
😱
edited by GattaMatta on 20/12/2011

shamat
Posts 1523

20/12/2011 12:28:36
This is the whole problem with paying annual rents - the tenant has no leverage if things go wrong. We had masses of problems with our landlord to start with, but as we had coughed up a whole year's rent, there was little we could do to get stuff changed. I think that what is happening to tenants on the Palm is an absolute scandal because the tenants have paid for something they are now not getting through no fault of their own. Future tenants of properties on the Palm take note!

GattaMatta
Posts 409

20/12/2011 12:31:51
shamat wrote:
This is the whole problem with paying annual rents - the tenant has no leverage if things go wrong. We had masses of problems with our landlord to start with, but as we had coughed up a whole year's rent, there was little we could do to get stuff changed. I think that what is happening to tenants on the Palm is an absolute scandal because the tenants have paid for something they are now not getting through no fault of their own. Future tenants of properties on the Palm take note!

I have seen things like this elsewhere in Dubai as well. Mostly with Nakheel but not only. For sure Nakheel has become the symbol of "the king is naked" fairy tale here, at least seen from foreign newspapers and observers, but they are not the only ones.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

20/12/2011 12:34:06
GattaMatta wrote:
shamat wrote:

I have seen things like this elsewhere in Dubai as well. Mostly with Nakheel but not only. For sure Nakheel has become the symbol of "the king is naked" fairy tale here, at least seen from foreign newspapers and observers, but they are not the only ones.

But this is an issue with your LL not Nakheel...... Why are you blaming Nakheel when all they are doing is stopping providing a service to people who have not paid.... you should be angry with your LL - they are the ones who haven't paid!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 Users Currently Online

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.