GEMS Education Dubai
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Is the 25th December a public and private holiday?
Pages: 1 2

Mone75
Posts 296

21/12/2011 13:12:10
My husband thinks, it is not as he has nothing heard from his company yet, I think it is? Was there any announcement?

Gege_DXB
Posts 390

21/12/2011 13:15:51
I have an appointment for my ID (Fingerprints) on 25th Dec so its a regular working day.

dibdab
Posts 521

21/12/2011 13:17:12
I wouldn't have thought that it will be a holiday - I know people who are working on the 25th - my office is closed on the 25th and 26th but that was a decision taken by our MD.

coffee_mate
Posts 738

21/12/2011 13:17:21
I don't see why it would be!

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

21/12/2011 13:17:49
No....

UAE is a MUSLIM country

pinks
Posts 1074

21/12/2011 13:21:15
No - we're qasi-government and I'm working... Depends on your company/management though, as last year I got the day off (but not 26th) as it was a UK based comapny.

amazingdxb
Posts 456

21/12/2011 13:22:04
25th is definitly a normal working day

radical3
Posts 1481

21/12/2011 13:26:19
Business as usual for most places (small shops and salons may be closed depending on the owner), but big businesses, shopping malls, etc are all open.

January 1st is a holiday for everyone though.

coffee_mate
Posts 738

21/12/2011 13:26:57
GoodMorning wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:
No....

UAE is a MUSLIM country

There are still Muslim countries that declare 25th Dec as a public holiday!

I'll eat my hat if this one does!

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

21/12/2011 13:28:05
GoodMorning wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:
No....

UAE is a MUSLIM country

Name one!!

Mone75
Posts 296

21/12/2011 13:28:56
Thanks very much.
Maybe I thought so, because last year my hubby worked for a UK company and the office was closed on the 25th and 26th.
My sister living in Turkey also had always the 25th and 26th off, even given the fact she and another colleague where the only Christians among 25 other employees.

shoegal76
Posts 116

21/12/2011 13:31:04
Agreed - definitely a working day, not a public holiday - if you want it off, you need to take an annual leave. Some companies may informally give their staff the day (e.g. my friend works for a UK-based law firm who have an office here and although not a public holiday here they do get the day off and the office closes).

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 13:32:26
"Muslim country"?

You will find there is a distinction - there many muslim majority countries with secular "non-muslim" governements.

Then there are governments who rule by islamic law - sharia countries.

There is a big difference.

UAE is a sharia country - the government is run based on islam. Christmas will never be a public holiday in an islamic government/sharia country. I don't know if any muslim majority nations do, but it would not be impossible, as their rules are not based solely in islam. Definitely not possible in a sharia country. The whole reason our weekends are Friday and Saturday is to avoid "resting" on Sunday which could be mistaken as slightly Christian. If you can't have a Sunday weekend, you're sure not getting a Christmas day public holiday
edited by punchbiffpow on 21/12/2011

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 13:34:16
Companies owned run by foreign countries often will have an internal day-off for their employees. I know some Australian ones who do it. But definitely not a public holiday

Gummy
Posts 317

21/12/2011 13:43:09
I guess I should be glad DH is getting off xmas then. I don't know why but it never really occurred to me that he might have had to work xmas had his bosses been less understanding.

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 14:09:53
GoodMorning wrote:
punchbiffpow wrote:
Christmas will never be a public holiday in an islamic government/sharia country. I don't know if any muslim majority nations do, but it would not be impossible, as their rules are not based solely in islam. Definitely not possible in a sharia country.

What about Pakistan or Indonesia? Just wondering. I thought they implement sharia law - but have 25th Dec (or rather the Monday after) off.

Sorry OP for digressing!

Pakistan - 25th December is a public holiday for the birthday founder of Pakistan. Nothing to do with Christmas, just a co-incidence

Indonesia - not very familiar with them, so cannot comment

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

21/12/2011 14:14:31
punchbiffpow wrote:
GoodMorning wrote:
punchbiffpow wrote:
Christmas will never be a public holiday in an islamic government/sharia country. I don't know if any muslim majority nations do, but it would not be impossible, as their rules are not based solely in islam. Definitely not possible in a sharia country.

What about Pakistan or Indonesia? Just wondering. I thought they implement sharia law - but have 25th Dec (or rather the Monday after) off.

Sorry OP for digressing!

Although Indonesia has a 90% Muslim population it is not an Islamic state.

Pakistan - 25th December is a public holiday for the birthday founder of Pakistan. Nothing to do with Christmas, just a co-incidence

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 14:22:27
"Although Indonesia has a 90% Muslim population it is not an Islamic state. "

Thanks Izzy - that demonstrates my first point re difference between muslim majorty population vs sharia.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

21/12/2011 14:24:34
punchbiffpow wrote:

Thanks Izzy - that demonstrates my first point re difference between muslim majorty population vs sharia.

It's not a Muslim country then is it.... Country / state same thing!!! Which goes back to my original point that the UAE is a Muslim Country!!!

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 14:33:12
IzzyDubai wrote:
punchbiffpow wrote:

It's not a Muslim country then is it.... Country / state same thing!!! Which goes back to my original point that the UAE is a Muslim Country!!!

Country/state is same thing, correct.

Generally, academically, the definitions are:

Muslim country - a country where the majority of the population is muslim, but the governement is not islamic/sharia

Islamic country - country with an islamic/sharia government

The point was that it is impossible for Christmas to be a public holiday in a sharia country, but possible for it to be a public holiday in a country where the majority of the population is muslim. As you said - indonesia is a muslim country (90% population of muslims) and it has Christmas for a public holiday.

blimey
Posts 576

21/12/2011 14:34:48
IzzyDubai wrote:
GoodMorning wrote:
IzzyDubai wrote:
No....

UAE is a MUSLIM country

Name one!!

Malaysia. It's a Muslim country with 50% Muslim population but we celebrate almost all religious holidays - Eid, Wesak, Deepavali, Christmas

Nevertheless, considering only Christmas is a public holiday in western countries, I don't find it odd that UAE don't declare Christmas as a public holiday.
edited by blimey on 21/12/2011

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 14:36:19
GoodMorning wrote:
punchbiffpow wrote:

But the Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan does give Christians off in this circular? http://www.ptclworkers.com/news/public-holidays-2011-government-of-pakistan-notification/

Giving Chirstian's Christmas off, doe not equal public holiday. In pakistan christians are about 1% to 1.5% of the population

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

21/12/2011 14:47:59
punchbiffpow wrote:
GoodMorning wrote:
punchbiffpow wrote:

But the Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan does give Christians off in this circular? http://www.ptclworkers.com/news/public-holidays-2011-government-of-pakistan-notification/

Giving Chirstian's Christmas off, doe not equal public holiday. In pakistan christians are about 1% to 1.5% of the population

As the whole of Pakistan gets a public holiday on the 25th December for the founders birthday - bizarre that they are claiming to be "giving christian's a day off on christmas" when everyone's having it off anyway. How generous of them, lol
edited by punchbiffpow on 21/12/2011

salsB
Posts 8468

21/12/2011 17:12:28
No it's not a holiday, but I know New Years day is.

Tuesday
Posts 457

21/12/2011 18:12:17
And yet isn't New Years Day (as in Jan 1st) the Christian New Year (so many years A.D.) as opposed to the Islamic one so why a holiday here?

busybee2
Posts 11581

21/12/2011 18:26:30
Mone75 wrote:
My husband thinks, it is not as he has nothing heard from his company yet, I think it is? Was there any announcement?

of course its not a holiday if you want it off you have to take it as leave, of course some companies may be very nice to you and let you have the day off, but of course its not a holiday its a christian holiday not a uae muslim holiday.

Muesli Bar
Posts 739

21/12/2011 19:29:34
I have no problem with not having Christmas day as a public holiday and taking it as annual leave instead.

We can't expect the Islamic holidays and other holidays too on top of them.

oh and imagine the outrage on EW if we got all the holidays, it would be "oh i can't believe the metro is not running til 4pm it's an islamic country why is the country not running as normal etc etc" LOL!
edited by Muesli Bar on 21/12/2011

basil
Posts 1295

21/12/2011 22:09:04
DS goes to Emirates college and has to attend on Sunday as just another day.End of term exams is middle of Jan.

Al Quwatain
Posts 680

22/12/2011 09:56:28
For most Emiratis, it is a very sad day, indeed, when residents are asking if Christmas day will be a holiday.
This is one of their biggest fears, westernization has brought a lot of worry, but Christmas being a public holiday could possibly cause outrage.

fairwater
Posts 2095

22/12/2011 10:01:36
i wouldnt expect it to be a public holiday like uk, in the uk we dont get eid holidays or the islamic new year for example. we are happy to book time off if and when we need or want to here. my dh is still to book his day off - he had better get his skates on or i will be eating turkey without him

Pages: 1 2

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.