Burj Al Arab Afternoon Tea
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Is the 25th December a public and private holiday?
Pages: 1 2

suze63
Posts 1880

22/12/2011 10:28:14
I think it's probably more of a matter for individual companies, according to the sort of staff they have. For example, my husband was a partner in a firm that had lots of Jewish staff and clients, and they gave Jewish Holidays even though this wasn;t a national holiday in the UK. I wouldn't expect it to be declared a national holiday here and have been surprised at how high profile it is. Our office is open but I doubt there will be much activity!

louisedvs
Posts 4318

22/12/2011 10:45:35
Innocent question and i honestly do not know

Why do the local schools close for this period if it isn't celebrated?

louisedvs
Posts 4318

22/12/2011 10:50:47
AmyAus82 wrote:
Christmas will definitely be announced as a holiday for all very shortly. And in the west we'll all get Eids, Honika, Dewali and so forth off for a big celebration!

When?

The mentioned countries who have Xmas holidays are secular, big difference to constitutionally Islamic.

IzzyDubai
Posts 550

22/12/2011 10:55:38
louisedvs wrote:
AmyAus82 wrote:
Christmas will definitely be announced as a holiday for all very shortly. And in the west we'll all get Eids, Honika, Dewali and so forth off for a big celebration!

When?

The mentioned countries who have Xmas holidays are secular, big difference to constitutionally Islamic.

She was being VERY VERY Sarcastic!!!!

Al Quwatain
Posts 680

22/12/2011 11:01:01
louisedvs wrote:

'local' schools, as in expat schools? because they follow a curriculum that takes breaks at this time.
Local schools break up 15th Jan (or thereabouts, anyway it is a mid year break they get)

louisedvs
Posts 4318

22/12/2011 11:04:27
Al Quwatain wrote:
louisedvs wrote:

'local' schools, as in expat schools? because they follow a curriculum that takes breaks at this time.
Local schools break up 15th Jan (or thereabouts, anyway it is a mid year break they get)

Hi Al Quwatain

As in schools for Emiratis my friend works at one and they are closed over from 15.12 to 02.01

Al Quwatain
Posts 680

22/12/2011 11:05:15
louisedvs wrote:
Al Quwatain wrote:
louisedvs wrote:

Hi Al Quwatain

As in schools for Emiratis my friend works at one and they are closed over from 15.12 to 02.01
Oh really? which one is that? Just curious

Al Quwatain
Posts 680

22/12/2011 11:08:29
louisedvs wrote:
I think it is called Hamdan in Abu Dhabi

It might be Sheikh Hamdan school, but anyway, without a name, we can only speculate.

dlt
Posts 546

22/12/2011 11:33:13
Not sure about Dubai, but all government schools in Abu Dhabi Emirate are closed for three weeks from 15 December. Nothing to do with Christmas (not surprisingly!); they have just restructured the school year to allow for more evenly-spaced breaks for students (and teachers). The school year finishes later as a result.

mushypeas
Posts 2855

22/12/2011 11:44:06
the company iw ork for is Australian and we are getting Christmas day and boxing day off.. My husbands company is local and they are working ...

Sage & Onion
Posts 140

22/12/2011 13:10:01
Jordan also gives Dec 25 as a public (Bank) holiday

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

22/12/2011 13:35:34
Sage & Onion wrote:
Jordan also gives Dec 25 as a public (Bank) holiday

Again, public affairs are secular in that country, not Islamic/Sharia

punchbiffpow
Posts 220

22/12/2011 13:39:12
AmyAus82 wrote:
Local schools are certainly on holidays. But, not because they celebrate Xmas/NY, but because it's the end of the term/semester and, similar to the June/July holidays in Australia which happen to coincidentally happen to have an Eid fall in them some years.

When Ramadan falls during this season (Dec/Jan) you'll see how irrelevant it is to the system (this isn't me being rude, but in Australia, for example, we have actual passport holders who are Muslim/Hindu/Jewish etc. who do not get their religious holidays, even though that is 'their country', but people come here as expatriates and expect that they should be given certain holidays as a right).

Yup. School holidays here has nothing to do with Christmas - in the same way as when Ramadan falls during school holidays in Western countries it's not because that country is celebrating Ramadan

Pages: 1 2

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.