GEMS Education Dubai
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Recommended hotel in Phuket
Pages: 1 2

Babysoosoo
Posts 171


06/03/2012 10:03:47
Hi All, so we have been in Dubai for 6 months now and we would liek to take the kids to Phuket for the spring break.. I am torn between JW marriott and the laguna beach resorts. I want something for the kids to have fun and I would like it to be vey decent too... if you have been please let me know.. also how much do the beafuts there cost?





jojo24
Posts 176


06/03/2012 21:46:20
I would suggest the patong resort hotel or the mecure hotel both of them are very clean and nice
some hotels in phuket are not what you expect!
prices are reasonable aswell.. I am going in the end of march / april.. i go to phuket every 6 months





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


07/03/2012 06:55:23
jojo24 wrote:
I would suggest the patong resort hotel or the mecure hotel both of them are very clean and nice
some hotels in phuket are not what you expect!
prices are reasonable aswell.. I am going in the end of march / april.. i go to phuket every 6 months


Hi do u reccomend any villas to stay in there ? We have 3 kids we were thinking a villa will be better...is the food etc cheap? Also are the beaches all accessible with sunbeds and umbrellas on non private ones ?





cchipuk4
Posts 40


07/03/2012 07:17:45
We stayed at laguna beach resort in 2008, it was very nice. There was a cheap Thai restaurant with in walking distance. There was shops and massage places right on the beach. Also there was a bar hut on the beach, so if you dont want to pay hotel prices for drinks you could just walk down. There was a bus that would take you to a shopping area but I was not impressed.


We had our 10 month old DD with us, she loved the pool and baby elephant ride.
edited by cchipuk4 on 07/03/2012





pollydxb
Posts 1424


07/03/2012 09:44:22
If I had the choice to go back there again I would NOT stay at the Dusit Thani, but instead stay at the Al Banyan Tree which is amazing and right across the road from the golf course! I would also serious look at Twin Peaks which someone recommended on EW - who also said don't stress about the strange images on their website the hotel really isn't like that





Kathyt
Posts 733


07/03/2012 09:50:48
Think you may mean Twin Palms in Surin Bay?! Just to prevent any confusion....





babapapa
Posts 325


07/03/2012 10:07:29
I would definitely go for the JW Marriott - gorgeous hotel, great food (best hotel breakfast I've ever had and we've travelled a bit), great size rooms - you can get a regular room and have your kids sleep on the double daybed in the corner if they are little ones. The kids club is excellent with a circus school for older kids. Scenery gorgeous. Couple of drawbacks: it's a bit isolated from a sightseeing point of view - it takes a good 40 mins to get to Phuket Town/Patong and the sea is too rough for swimming in (though there are at least 3 swimming pools). We've been twice and considered going back again last month but opted for Malaysia instead.

I don't recommend Le Meridien, Phuket - it was a horrible hotel in comparison, though the beach was nice.





pollydxb
Posts 1424


07/03/2012 10:25:06
Kathyt wrote:
Think you may mean Twin Palms in Surin Bay?! Just to prevent any confusion....


Oops! Thanks for the question - it is actually Twin Palms - http://twinpalms-phuket.com/





Fairfield
Posts 762


07/03/2012 13:27:25
We stayed at Twinpalms recently and it was AMAZING. Loved it.

However, I don't think I'd recommend it for kids. There were some kiddies there who seemed to be enjoying themselves in the pool, but no facilities specifically for them and most of the guests were couples.

We would go back again in a heartbeat. Loved it.

FFx





Appletiser
Posts 7467


07/03/2012 14:50:52
cchipuk4 wrote:
We stayed at laguna beach resort in 2008, it was very nice. There was a cheap Thai restaurant with in walking distance. There was shops and massage places right on the beach. Also there was a bar hut on the beach, so if you dont want to pay hotel prices for drinks you could just walk down. There was a bus that would take you to a shopping area but I was not impressed.


We had our 10 month old DD with us, she loved the pool and baby elephant ride.
edited by cchipuk4 on 07/03/2012


Laguna beach resort will be undergoing a complete renovation in June and will be totally closed down for 3 months. Condition of the place might not be best at current but Im sure you will probably get a good rate just before renovations.





lec299
Posts 139


07/03/2012 15:41:23
We stayed at Serenity Resort in October and can't recommend it enough - stunning rooms and views, really affordable spa, great for kids, and amazing food (we only ate out of the resort once). It's a small resort so has a boutique feel, we will definitely be heading back.

Just went onto their website to find it for you and looks like they have some good offers on

http://www.serenityphuket.com/





Appletiser
Posts 7467


07/03/2012 15:57:10
lec299 wrote:
We stayed at Serenity Resort in October and can't recommend it enough - stunning rooms and views, really affordable spa, great for kids, and amazing food (we only ate out of the resort once). It's a small resort so has a boutique feel, we will definitely be heading back.

Just went onto their website to find it for you and looks like they have some good offers on

http://www.serenityphuket.com/


It looks lovely....would it be okay for little toddlers?





lec299
Posts 139


07/03/2012 16:06:51
We didn't have kids at the time, but I'm pregnant and we took a lot of notice of how great the staff were with the kids around the pool. We were really impressed and said we'd definitely go back when little one arrives.

It's on the quieter side of the island (which we loved) and it's tidal, so you get the sea right up to the resort in the morning, then it goes out for the whole afternoon so toddlers could play on the beach too.





lec299
Posts 139


07/03/2012 16:09:10
Also check thought I'd mention that we were really picky before we went and I checked out Trip Advisor - they do so well on all their reviews, which swung it for us! (I don't work for them by the way, although I sound like I do!)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297934-d1230409-Reviews-Serenity_Resort_Residences_Phuket-Rawai_Phuket.html





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


07/03/2012 16:17:36
Looks great lec....is the food expensive within the hotel? I can't seem to find a hotel that has enough room for 2 kids and a baby unless I book a penthouse





lec299
Posts 139


07/03/2012 16:25:25
The great thing is that the rooms are all suites - so there is definitely room for the kids - we had two big bedrooms and a huge lounge (bit of a waste just for the two of us!)

Food was expensive for Phuket, but much cheaper than the hotels on the other side of the island - I still think in terms of ££ but don't think that dinners cost more than £25 for both of us having two courses (I wasnt drinking, but DH would have a cocktail or two). They also do packages where you can sail out to a nearby island for a picnic or have them come to your room for a private BBQ on your balcony - those are more expensive at around £50 per person (not sure of kids prices). We did the BBQ though and it was great.





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


08/03/2012 13:31:04
Found this hotel and they have gave me a great price just wondering if anyone's been to this hotel
http://www.avistaphuket.com/galery-Gdeluxe.html

Our first holiday in 4 years so don't want to end up in a dodgy hotel that doesn't look like any of the photos .....

Tia





glenfiddich
Posts 777


08/03/2012 13:36:51
Not Phuket but Chiang Mai: My friend worked on setting up this hotel ... www.137pillarshouse.com ... and the woman has seriously high standards, so I'm sure it's amazing.





Vlooi
Posts 64


08/03/2012 13:59:51
do u wanna be right on the beach or are you ok walking a few metres or catching a tuc tuc to the beach?
we stayed in Patong Garden Bay Hotel, it is literally on the beach , u breakie on the beach as well and when u go out of the front entrance u are right inthe middle of the shops and markets so we never had to go far. But no idea what they have for kids as went there when I was not yet a mommy. Service is ok, not so wow but then again it is not a five star. I didnt care though as all i wanted was to be right on the beach.

By the way be careful when u search for hotels on the beach, most of them will give u the impression it is on the beach but then it is actually across the street from the beach, which means you have to walk a bit which is not really far but if it's not what u wanted u might be dissapointed. Always check out the map,u can see that Patong has only a few beach hotels, rest is all opposite beach road.
I am so glad about this thread as we wanna go again and like to hear all the imput from others.





Babysoosoo
Posts 171


08/03/2012 14:32:19
babapapa wrote:
I would definitely go for the JW Marriott - gorgeous hotel, great food (best hotel breakfast I've ever had and we've travelled a bit), great size rooms - you can get a regular room and have your kids sleep on the double daybed in the corner if they are little ones. The kids club is excellent with a circus school for older kids. Scenery gorgeous. Couple of drawbacks: it's a bit isolated from a sightseeing point of view - it takes a good 40 mins to get to Phuket Town/Patong and the sea is too rough for swimming in (though there are at least 3 swimming pools). We've been twice and considered going back again last month but opted for Malaysia instead.

I don't recommend Le Meridien, Phuket - it was a horrible hotel in comparison, though the beach was nice.


Hi , thank you for replying.. I need to ask u, we have 3 kids, is th ekids club good? also is it worth it to go to the downton area on everyday basis, or is it a one/ two times trip tp down town?..
edited by amalwaleed on 08/03/2012





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


08/03/2012 14:45:35
Sorry to gate crash your thread.
Can you fly straight in to Phuket from here or do all the airlines just go to Bangkok ? Then transfer.





Babysoosoo
Posts 171


08/03/2012 14:50:08
fairycakeyumm wrote:
Sorry to gate crash your thread.
Can you fly straight in to Phuket from here or do all the airlines just go to Bangkok ? Then transfer.


crash as much as u want your questions are mine probably.. also no u cant go direct!





vat
Posts 33


08/03/2012 15:35:52
amalwaleed wrote:
fairycakeyumm wrote:
Sorry to gate crash your thread.
Can you fly straight in to Phuket from here or do all the airlines just go to Bangkok ? Then transfer.


crash as much as u want your questions are mine probably.. also no u cant go direct!


You can go direct from Abu Dhabi, we are doing this at Easter





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


08/03/2012 15:42:24
vat wrote:
amalwaleed wrote:
fairycakeyumm wrote:
Sorry to gate crash your thread.
Can you fly straight in to Phuket from here or do all the airlines just go to Bangkok ? Then transfer.


crash as much as u want your questions are mine probably.. also no u cant go direct!


You can go direct from Abu Dhabi, we are doing this at Easter


I looked at etihad from AD they were also going Bangkok first? What airlines are u travelling? Ta





louisedvs
Posts 4318


08/03/2012 15:47:19
fairycakeyumm wrote:
vat wrote:
amalwaleed wrote:
fairycakeyumm wrote:
Sorry to gate crash your thread.
Can you fly straight in to Phuket from here or do all the airlines just go to Bangkok ? Then transfer.


crash as much as u want your questions are mine probably.. also no u cant go direct!


You can go direct from Abu Dhabi, we are doing this at Easter


I looked at etihad from AD they were also going Bangkok first? What airlines are u travelling? Ta


Bangkok first with Emirates
edited by louisedvs on 08/03/2012





vat
Posts 33


08/03/2012 15:48:16
fairycakeyumm wrote:
vat wrote:
amalwaleed wrote:
fairycakeyumm wrote:
Sorry to gate crash your thread.
Can you fly straight in to Phuket from here or do all the airlines just go to Bangkok ? Then transfer.


crash as much as u want your questions are mine probably.. also no u cant go direct!


You can go direct from Abu Dhabi, we are doing this at Easter


I looked at etihad from AD they were also going Bangkok first? What airlines are u travelling? Ta


it's 'Etihad Airways 1996 Operated By: AIR BERLIN GMBH / CO. LUFTVERKEHRS KG' (I just copied and pasted it from my travel confirmation). The flight takes 6hrs 50 mins. I was quite surprised that they go there direct.





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


08/03/2012 16:21:52
Thanks for that, sorry to be a pain who did u book it with looked at air Berlin and etihad and still can't find a direct flight?





Annedxb
Posts 2341


08/03/2012 16:24:39
There are no direct flights from here if thats your question but there are flights out of bangkok every other hour.





Fairfield
Posts 762


08/03/2012 16:51:48
I heard that Etihad/Air Berlin were starting to fly direct Abu Dhabi/Phuket at the end of March subject to approvals, which seems to be what vat is saying she's booked but I haven't seen the flights advertised. It's great news though!





Fairfield
Posts 762


08/03/2012 17:41:52
Actually, I just checked and you can book them direct with Etihad online. Yeay!!





Pages: 1 2
 
Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.