Burj Al Arab Afternoon Tea
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Please help me with my Sunday Roast
Pages: 1 2

glamorgirl
Posts 281


26/04/2012 11:08:32
Hello as you may know I am a terrible cook yet something came over me and I invited 6 people for Sunday (well Friday) roast tomorrow. They are Spanish, Arab, Italian and Greek and they think that as I was raised in England that I know how to do a proper roast dinner. Actually I have never made a roast dinner before. In fact I have cooked only 10 times in my life.

I am going to make roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, roast carrots & parsnips, brussel sprouts, yorkshire puddings and gravy.

They are coming at 3 tomorrow.

I am confused because I do not know how to arrange timings. For example if I make the yorkshire puddings in advance is it okay or does it have to be fresh just before it is served? Which of these things can I make in advance? How will everything fit inside my oven?

I am confused but I shall not give up and I shall persevere.

I do not know what pudding to do for afters.





MirdifIngrid
Posts 1301


26/04/2012 11:14:59
Have a look on this site, you can filter as to how easy or complicated you want to be. www.bbcgoodfood.com

They have an ultimate roast potato recipe.

For pudding - Eton Mess, crushed store bought meringues, fresh whipped cream and strawberries all mixed together and if you put it into nice glasses such as Martini ones, it looks fab.

Edited to say - I always read the comments under the recipe as they often give useful tips and are a good guideline as to whether the reipe works or not.
edited by MirdifIngrid on 26/04/2012





Clairehdp
Posts 15270


26/04/2012 11:17:24
Easy pudding and very british - buy some meringues. Bash them up into small pieces. Buy strawberries and slice them up. Mix the meringues and the strawberries with double cream - hey presto - Eton Mess.

You could pre-cook your veg and just zap in the microwave before serving.
You could also pre-cook your yorkshire puddings and pop them back in the oven to re-heat while you are carving the meat.

to make it really easy I roast parsnips with the potatoes and I also roast some small onions and a whole garlic bulb. gives the potatoes a good flavour. I squeeze some of hte roasted garlic into my gravy too - makes it really delicious. If I do roast lamb I also put in some fresh rosemary into the gravy - yum!

Have you done yorkshire puddings before? I really struggled for years to make them but I now produce amazing ones after using the recipe from Nigella Lawson's Feast cook book - perfect yorkes every time!

Good luck - I'm sure it will be absolutely delicious.





Clairehdp
Posts 15270


26/04/2012 11:17:58
MirdifIngrid wrote:
Have a look on this site, you can filter as to how easy or complicated you want to be. www.bbcgoodfood.com

They have an ultimate roast potato recipe.

For pudding - Eton Mess, crushed store bought meringues, fresh whipped cream and strawberries all mixed together and if you put it into nice glasses such as Martini ones, it looks fab.

Edited to say - I always read the comments under the recipe as they often give useful tips and are a good guideline as to whether the reipe works or not.
edited by MirdifIngrid on 26/04/2012


Great minds on the eton mess!!!!





muurtje
Posts 996


26/04/2012 11:21:25
I'd do a desert that can be made in advance like a pavlova. The tricky thing about doing a roast is the oven, you need it for the meat, roast potatoes, parsnips and yorkshires. It will all cook at different temps. Go with the meat temp and when that is done take it out, let it rest and finish off the roast potatoes. Yorkshires need a very hot oven, so only do those last.

One last tip, buy an internal meat thermometer, you can stick this in the meat to check the internal temp so that your meat is perfectly done!

Good luck!





BNBH
Posts 1115


26/04/2012 11:24:23
Ok firstly, dont panic, secondly well done for taking the challenge. all will be well.

Pudding, something easy like pavlova, you can make the meringue today. Easy. Alternatively trifle is easy, and you can do the fruit jelly and/or sponge bit today, top with (tinned) custard and cream tomorrow.

Ok now for the roast. bear in mind you wont eat spot on 3, people will be late etc, so plan for 3.45/4pm.

Check now that you have enough trays for the oven, either a huge tray for the lamb with everything around it or, easier to fit in the oven two or three trays. Personally I would do the lamb in one tray, roasties in another and veg in another, thats because I like my roasties very crisp, and my veg more caramlized. As for yorkshires, Aunt Bessie is your friend tomorrow, really yorkshires are easy but for a beginner maybe leave them till next time. If you do make them the oil must be SMOKING hot.

Timings.
Roast lamb, as a rule its 15 minutes per 500g (1 1/4 lb), plus 10 minutes more. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before serving to ensure the juices redistribute.

roasties, about an hour and 15. Peel potatoes par boil 7 mins in salted water, drain and let the steam evaporate, pop them in the hot oil and leave em to it. DS loves me to add rosemary at this point, he says " it tastes like carpet in yer gob!!" I'm like, is that a good thing?Apparantly it is ;-) I also add roughly quatered onions at about 40 mins and some garlic at about 30 mins. Dont forget to toss the potatoes so they get oil all over them to crip up nicely.

Veg - chuck them in the pan, cut up reasonably equally, drizzle with oil and about an hour later all will be well. If you cant fit the veg in the oven, just steam them or lightly boil.

good luck, if you need more help just ask.





Chocs01
Posts 4776


26/04/2012 11:25:24
I always part-boil my potatoes first, then toss them in a little bit of oil and butter, some herbs and seasoning, then roast them. Roast the parsnips in with the potatoes. OR, boil the carrots and parsnips together, then mash them together adding a little butter - always love that, then pop in a dish and bake for a while - yum.

Don't overdo the Brussels, nothing worse than soggy sprouts.

Love Eton mess as a pudding. Also another dead easy one to do is bread and butter pudding. Tonnes of recipes for that online.





outheredxb
Posts 369


26/04/2012 11:37:42

Clairehdp
Posts 15270


26/04/2012 11:43:56
Chocs01 wrote:
I always part-boil my potatoes first, then toss them in a little bit of oil and butter, some herbs and seasoning, then roast them. Roast the parsnips in with the potatoes. OR, boil the carrots and parsnips together, then mash them together adding a little butter - always love that, then pop in a dish and bake for a while - yum.

Don't overdo the Brussels, nothing worse than soggy sprouts.

Love Eton mess as a pudding. Also another dead easy one to do is bread and butter pudding. Tonnes of recipes for that online.


Ooooooh I do a bread and butter pudding but I grate in some orange peel and slug in some cointreau - it's amazing! A top London chef told me to try it and I've never looked back!





simpleasabc
Posts 7676


26/04/2012 11:46:03
You've had lots of good ideas there, I'd go with the Eton Mess as you can just buy those ready-made small meringues from Spinneys and use those. I'm afraid I can't help you on timings as I always land up scrambling round the kitchen trying to get everything done at the same time. A couple of things - Yorkshire puddings are traditional with roast beef, not with lamb, so why add to your stress by cooking them as well? You could easily make a mint sauce, which is traditional with lamb and very easy to make yourself - see recipe here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/realmintsauce_67706
I usually cut garlic cloves into slivers and pierce the lamb all over and put the garlic in to add flavour, as well as resting the lamb on a bed of fresh rosemary sprigs and strewing rosemary on top of the lamb whilst it's cooking.
Good luck, enjoy





Clairehdp
Posts 15270


26/04/2012 11:48:20
simpleasabc wrote:
You've had lots of good ideas there, I'd go with the Eton Mess as you can just buy those ready-made small meringues from Spinneys and use those. I'm afraid I can't help you on timings as I always land up scrambling round the kitchen trying to get everything done at the same time. A couple of things - Yorkshire puddings are traditional with roast beef, not with lamb, so why add to your stress by cooking them as well? You could easily make a mint sauce, which is traditional with lamb and very easy to make yourself - see recipe here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/realmintsauce_67706
I usually cut garlic cloves into slivers and pierce the lamb all over and put the garlic in to add flavour, as well as resting the lamb on a bed of fresh rosemary sprigs and strewing rosemary on top of the lamb whilst it's cooking.
Good luck, enjoy


We have to have yorkies with every type of roast dinner in our house - tradition goes out the window - if it's a roast - it's got to have yrokies or I would have a riot on my hands!

Love slivers of garlic in lamb - even nicer when it's cold in a sandwich!!!!





cymraes
Posts 2612


26/04/2012 11:59:10
Agree if you have to serve Yorkshires on your first roast, unless you're pretty confident, buy a packet of Aunt Bessies. Personally I make them only with beef (old Yorkshire aunt would roll in her grave othewise!) Plus my aunt always made a large one and cut it up which I still do and it's really yummy ... practice that for next time!

Do your peeling, prepping, stuffing lamb with garlic and pudding plenty in advance even the night before and write a timetable, I still do this when having a dinner party and at Christmas - it helps you focus and prompts you, give yourself plenty of time and lay the table early too.

Don't forget some mint sauce or jelly, you can get in a jar and put in a pretty dish. Good luck and let us know how it went. I would say if it all goes to pot just give them more grape juice ... but I see you may have non drinkers on the guest list.





suze63
Posts 1880


26/04/2012 12:18:41
Book a table at Raffles and save yourself the hassle!! They do great Friday roasts!





Chocs01
Posts 4776


26/04/2012 12:23:36
Clairehdp wrote:
Chocs01 wrote:
I always part-boil my potatoes first, then toss them in a little bit of oil and butter, some herbs and seasoning, then roast them. Roast the parsnips in with the potatoes. OR, boil the carrots and parsnips together, then mash them together adding a little butter - always love that, then pop in a dish and bake for a while - yum.

Don't overdo the Brussels, nothing worse than soggy sprouts.

Love Eton mess as a pudding. Also another dead easy one to do is bread and butter pudding. Tonnes of recipes for that online.


Ooooooh I do a bread and butter pudding but I grate in some orange peel and slug in some cointreau - it's amazing! A top London chef told me to try it and I've never looked back!


Yup I soak all the raisins in Brandy





glamorgirl
Posts 281


26/04/2012 13:44:03
Wow thank you everyone for all your comments you are wonderful!!!!!!

I did not realise Yorkshire puddings would be so difficult I was going to follow this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1104650/classic-yorkshire-puddings

It seemed easy to me! Perhaps I shall use Aunty Bessie instead where can I find her Yorkshire puddings are they frozen or a packet mix?

I will definitely do a timetable thank you as you are right it will help me organise everything in my mind. and keep me on track.

I was hoping to do a dessert I could prepare the day before I do not think that is possible with bread and butter pudding, am I right? Or with Eton mess. I was thinking of bannoffee pie do you think that is suitable?

You have all been so very amazing I am very grateful thank you I will definitely let you know how it went.





louisedvs
Posts 4318


26/04/2012 13:45:11
Aunt Bessies are in most supermarkets Choitrham, Lulu, Waitrose, Spinney's etc





Clairehdp
Posts 15270


26/04/2012 13:48:32
Ive tried that recipe and they were awful! I agree I think as its your first time go with aunt Bessie's. Pretty sure they ate in the freezer section.

Banoffee pie sounds great.

I'm sure your guests will love it.





glamorgirl
Posts 281


26/04/2012 15:19:23
Thank you for being so encouraging. I appreciate your help.

I was going to use this for the roast: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/402619/roast-lamb-studded-with-rosemary-and-garlic?pager.offset=20

Do you think it will be fine without the wine? Two guests are muslim so I cannot cook with wine in this instance.





cymraes
Posts 2612


26/04/2012 15:30:29
glamorgirl wrote:
Thank you for being so encouraging. I appreciate your help.

I was going to use this for the roast: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/402619/roast-lamb-studded-with-rosemary-and-garlic?pager.offset=20

Do you think it will be fine without the wine? Two guests are muslim so I cannot cook with wine in this instance.


Just use water or some stock instead it will be fine - or you could try those alcohol free wines they sell in C4, although I haven't tried them (they are against my very being!)





louisedvs
Posts 4318


26/04/2012 15:37:58
This is all making me VERY hungry :-)





plumie
Posts 2836


26/04/2012 15:47:29
Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires and Roast Potato's are in full stock in Spinney's Town Centre Springs!

She's my go-to-Mamma when I need roasties in a hurry





Di@DXB
Di@DXB
Posts 4085


26/04/2012 15:58:27
"I was hoping to do a dessert I could prepare the day before "

You could make a Tiramisu the day before and keep it covered in the fridge it will actually be better the next day. No baking required.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/10412/easy+tiramisu





Clairehdp
Posts 15270


26/04/2012 16:04:26
plumie wrote:
Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires and Roast Potato's are in full stock in Spinney's Town Centre Springs!

She's my go-to-Mamma when I need roasties in a hurry


Ooooooh no - you have to make your own roasties those frozen ones are awful.





plumie
Posts 2836


26/04/2012 16:16:09
I do Claire! The lovely ladies from EW gave me some wonderful tips on how to make the perfect roast potato and I am pleased to say - I have perfected it now Big Grin It's a permanent fixture on my Sunday menu!

Now Yorkshires - that's another story, Aunt B will have to do for now!





louisedvs
Posts 4318


26/04/2012 16:19:23
Clairehdp wrote:
plumie wrote:
Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires and Roast Potato's are in full stock in Spinney's Town Centre Springs!

She's my go-to-Mamma when I need roasties in a hurry


Ooooooh no - you have to make your own roasties those frozen ones are awful.


AGREE my own with goose fat take some beating :-)





glamorgirl
Posts 281


26/04/2012 16:34:48
louisedvs wrote:
Clairehdp wrote:
plumie wrote:
Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires and Roast Potato's are in full stock in Spinney's Town Centre Springs!

She's my go-to-Mamma when I need roasties in a hurry


Ooooooh no - you have to make your own roasties those frozen ones are awful.


AGREE my own with goose fat take some beating :-)


I will make my own roast pots but I will use Auntie Bessy's yorkshire puddings! I have some duck fat in the fridge so I will use that with your tips of boiling first I am excited now! I may make Tiramisu thank you





BNBH
Posts 1115


26/04/2012 17:56:28
No no to tiramasu, Eton mess is much easier, do the pavlova and if it breaks use it for Eton mess. ;-) Eton mess is much more traditional english as well.

Def no no to frozen roasties, real ones are easy enough, dont stress if you cant find goose fat, although its certainly in park n shop and spinneys.





McB
Posts 263


26/04/2012 22:41:16
Just purchased in spinneys, Waitrose frozen yorkshire puddings.

Whatever roast potatoes you do be sure and have a very very hot oven to cook them in.

Good luck !
edited by McB on 26/04/2012





fairycakeyumm
Posts 2858


27/04/2012 06:49:54
Yorkshire puddings are the easiest thing to do out of the roast dinner there's no need to buy them, so easy my 11 yr dd makes them all time when I do the roast. Flour egg n milk





Clairehdp
Posts 15270


27/04/2012 10:00:46
fairycakeyumm wrote:
Yorkshire puddings are the easiest thing to do out of the roast dinner there's no need to buy them, so easy my 11 yr dd makes them all time when I do the roast. Flour egg n milk


They ate not easy!!! I consider myself a good cook but boy I really struggled with yorkies. Even had my Yorkshire friends come to see what I was doing wrong and they still came out like biscuits! Everyone said the fat needed to be smoking - it made no difference. I becme a bit obssessed about yorkies! I eventually tried nigella lawsons recipe in her feast cookery book and hey presto! I am now the queen of Yorkers and I now think they are the easiest things to make but it took me years to get there so if it was my first time doing a roast dinner for guests I would not add to my stress unless I had the nigella recipe.
edited by Clairehdp on 27/04/2012





Pages: 1 2
 

2 Users Currently Online

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.