nanny/governess ? | ExpatWoman.com

nanny/governess ?

Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:27

Hi!
I am due with my second child shortly and am looking for a nanny/governess/babysitter, all rolled into one for my 19 month old.
How do i go about finding someone like that?
And what is the going rate?
And is it possible to get someone like that for just 3 mornings a week or do we have to hire full time only?
Any visa issues I should be concerned with?
Basically, we have help in the house, but he isnt really learning anything.. so i think it would be better to have someone know can play with him yet make it educational. I dont want to send him to nursery yet, plus all the good ones are full!

I hope EW comes to my rescue again! :)

Latest post on 13 November 2011 - 14:57
Thanks for your lovely post Cornish Pixie. If u cant assume anything nice, kindly dont post. As a mother, i dont plan to push away my firstborn for another baby. If u have 2 kids, u of all people shud understad that. And I dunno about your kids, but mine enjoys stuff like arts and crafts, running in the parks, but i unfortunately dont have the physical capacity to do it now. Kindly note: Everyone isnt super mum like u! How you managed to take offense from this post is beyond me! She is being very sensible.:\: I mean from cronish pixie's post. <em>edited by Irooni on 13/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 13 November 2011 - 14:12
Do any of these agencies offer British or Western nannies on a part time live out basis (ie under companies sponshership and accom provided by them?) Or do they have to be fully employed and under your sponsorship? I want someone but NOT full time couple of times a week and also someone who is avaliable for babysitting.
Latest post on 13 November 2011 - 13:59
Hi! I am due with my second child shortly and am looking for a nanny/governess/babysitter, all rolled into one for my 19 month old. How do i go about finding someone like that? And what is the going rate? And is it possible to get someone like that for just 3 mornings a week or do we have to hire full time only? Any visa issues I should be concerned with? Basically, we have help in the house, but he isnt really learning anything.. so i think it would be better to have someone know can play with him yet make it educational. I dont want to send him to nursery yet, plus all the good ones are full! I hope EW comes to my rescue again! :) I'm not sure if you ever found someone, but there are also a number of British agencies out of London who can place nannies/governesses here. The visas will end up saying something like tutor, governess or even babysitter, but it can certainly be done. Be persistent and don't give up. (I'd recommend Eden nannies, from my experience they seem to know what they're doing)
Latest post on 13 November 2011 - 13:55
Hi! I am due with my second child shortly and am looking for a nanny/governess/babysitter, all rolled into one for my 19 month old. How do i go about finding someone like that? And what is the going rate? And is it possible to get someone like that for just 3 mornings a week or do we have to hire full time only? Any visa issues I should be concerned with? Basically, we have help in the house, but he isnt really learning anything.. so i think it would be better to have someone know can play with him yet make it educational. I dont want to send him to nursery yet, plus all the good ones are full! I hope EW comes to my rescue again! :) I'm not sure if you ever found someone, but there are also a number of British agencies out of London who can place nannies/governesses here. The visas will end up saying something like tutor, governess or even babysitter, but it can certainly be done. Be persistent and don't give up. (I'd recommend Eden nannies, from my experience they seem to know what they're doing)
Latest post on 21 July 2011 - 17:16
Late reply but there are two agencies in the UAE for nannies and governesses and maternit nurses etc, 1) Majestic in Abu Dhabi - think do a lot with 'maids' but do have Au Pairs etc 2) Bespoke British Nanny Services (supposed to be high end, but affordable very professional - my friend works in one of there branches)
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 17:05
Thanks clairehdp, but i really need someone for mornings 3 times a week.. and i am looking for longterm..
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 16:40
If anyone can give useful advice on how I can go about actually finding a nanny/governess, please post. U ladies can assume as u like. But thank you for concern for for my DS, and I can assure you that he is not going to be ignored, harmed or hurt. I offered to help you.........
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 15:51
Place an add in classifieds or dubizzle. Maybe a governess or someone will respond. My MIL was an English teacher and loves kids. I might be able to persuade her to apply. Will keep her off those online shopping websites!
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 12:33
If anyone can give useful advice on how I can go about actually finding a nanny/governess, please post. U ladies can assume as u like. But thank you for concern for for my DS, and I can assure you that he is not going to be ignored, harmed or hurt. If you are interested in the Doula idea there is a facebook page. Don't get upset by any less than kind remarks, the last few weeks of a pregnancy when you already have a little one can be utterly exhausting. Try to get the most out of the last few weeks before the baby is born. :)
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 12:30
Hi- This might not even be on your mind but please take extra care when hiring a nanny to look after your infant - I would install cameras, I have heard appalling stories about the abuse of babies by nannies in this country. Just something to think about..
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 11:16
If anyone can give useful advice on how I can go about actually finding a nanny/governess, please post. U ladies can assume as u like. But thank you for concern for for my DS, and I can assure you that he is not going to be ignored, harmed or hurt.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 11:15
No one was saying "do it yourself"........more that a) the OP might rethink where extra help might be best directed, and b) that the need for help might not be as great as expected, ie that the situation might prove less overwhelming than it looks from the last few exhausting weeks of pregnancy. (I certainly recall moments of sheer "how will I cope with two" panic.) In any event the OP has had several helpful offers.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 11:04
I love how in the maids threads everyone is all for "if you can afford the help get help" now when someone wants additional help she is getting told just to do it herself... LOL funny standards. I would put an add in Dubizzle and on the notice boards in Spinneys and similar places. I think it might be hard tho to find someone of governess standard, although he is only 19 months so it may not be necessary to get someone so qualified.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 10:53
Shaf, Don't know if you want someone long or short term but have you considered maybe arranging for a Doula to help you out? It might be good to keep an open mind about someone helping as you may find on some occassions that it is the newborn rather than your older child that you need help with. I would be more than happy to help out on an ad hoc basis if you require an extra pair of hands. I have less than 5 years between my three children and had no relatives nearby to help out when they were little so I know it can be difficult at times. :)
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 10:51
I can remember when I was heavily pregnant with my last child, in the last few weeks I completely ran out of gas. I remember sitting on my bed and crying, unable to imagine how I would find the energy to look after my existing family and a newborn. Jump ahead a few weeks and I gave birth, got that adrenaline surge that sees you through those first few seriously sleep deprived weeks and it was fine. Newborns sleep A LOT (albeit at the wrong times..) and you'll be able to spend a lot of time with your older child doing all the things he loves. New babies are very portable and can go wherever you need them to. I don't think that it's necessarily a bad idea for you to get some more help specifically for your older child after the birth, but I think that you may realise that you don't need it when the time comes. The other ladies have suggested 'rent a granny' and I think that this is a great idea. You would benefit from somebody to share a cup of tea with too..... Good luck with the birth of your new baby. Two under two is hard work but such a lot of fun.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 10:32
Shaf, for the life of me, I can't see why you took offense at CP's post, it was both kindly meant, and based on experience as a mother. And based on my own experience as a mother, I would suggest that you are looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope......it will be your older child who really, really needs one on one time with you. After the baby arrive, I would suggest getting extra help there, so you can have a hour or so uninterrupted cuddle and chat and storybook time with your toddler. At nineteen months that's all that's required, don't worry about "education". Good luck and enjoy both your littleones.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 10:27
Shaf - I think maybe you didn't read CPs note in the right way. I would agree completely with her - I have only 17 months between my 2 and it's really important as soon as the new baby arrives that your little one is made to feel secure and involved. I found that it was lovely to all cuddle up together in the early weeks as the newborn slept so much and I would have some really special time with my toddler. They are still so little and really do need their mummies. I am no perfect domestic goddess but I'd find a little window of time and do some homemade playdough and we'd sit and make loads of things together. I'd have a big plastic sheet down on the floor and he'd do glue and glitter things and when he was finished I'd scoop up the stuff and bin all the rubbish. I also got a black board from Ikea and loads of chalks and he'd love to colour and draw stuff. A winnie the pooh movie and reading little books together. At 19 months they really just need some fun. I'd also be a bit wary of introducing a new face to just be there for him. You've got help in the house so you need to make really good use of that so that the time you have will be with your new baby and your toddler. I'd be really happy to pop over for a couple of hours a morning a week - I love newborns and toddlers and both mine are now growing up so fast and are at school now. When is the baby due?
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 10:20
LOL I don't think three mornings interacting with a nanny in the same house as you constitutes "shoving him away to a new babysitter." I think it's a great alternative to a nursery. I know that you are a devoted parent and follow many principles of attachment/natural parenting, and God willing you will all do great when your second little one is here :). Thank you BFC. I would rather having with a nanny inside the house where I am present than shove DS off to a nursery. Wish more people would be less judgmental here. I live in Al Warqa, which is about 2 mins after Mirdif City Centre.. so pretty much the other end of the world! :) Any older mums who want to be hired? :)
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:58
Cornish Pixie's idea of a mum with older children is a great one!
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:57
and if you are in the JLT area.... I'm interested in meeting others in the area who are willing/interested in helping one another out with child care. Either on a schedule or an as-needed basis. thirdgoal at yahoo dot com
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:56
LOL I don't think three mornings interacting with a nanny in the same house as you constitutes "shoving him away to a new babysitter." I think it's a great alternative to a nursery. I know that you are a devoted parent and follow many principles of attachment/natural parenting, and God willing you will all do great when your second little one is here :).
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:50
Shaf where abbots are you? If you are in the springs area email me. teresabrunsdon at btinternet dot com
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:49
Sorry if I hit a nerve, if you look back over my previous postings you'll see I rarely get involved in maid type threads but my advice wass on a personal level, my older child needed lots of extra love when his sister was born and that coming from Mum is the best, staff will always be just that, love is only ever 100% from the parents. My kids are adults now, I did not mean to upset you and I apologize if I did, I hope you find the quality of help you are looking for here, it will not be easy. Maybe an expat lady with grown up kids and some spare time might be able to help you out.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:47
you best to put up ad looking for such at noticeboards like spinneys. you never know, sometimes, the odd trained nanny you after are around ,when visitng their families or partners However, i just want to include, having 2 kids aren't at all tough! trust me! you can do it.
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:42
Thanks for your lovely post Cornish Pixie. If u cant assume anything nice, kindly dont post. As a mother, i dont plan to push away my firstborn for another baby. If u have 2 kids, u of all people shud understad that. And I dunno about your kids, but mine enjoys stuff like arts and crafts, running in the parks, but i unfortunately dont have the physical capacity to do it now. Kindly note: Everyone isnt super mum like u!
Latest post on 10 January 2011 - 09:37
What would you expect your 19 month old toddler to be learning? By that age I would expect just a few words, potty training and playing with toys, little games etc. Surely you'll be able to find time to devote to your eldest even with a baby, he might get real jealousy issues if you don't and feel rejected, also you need the siblings to build a healthy relationship right from the start, so you should plan to involve him with the baby not shove him away to a new babysitter. My 2 kids are 19 months apart and they survived (and so did I).

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY