Private Tutors are Illegal - The National. | ExpatWoman.com

Private Tutors are Illegal - The National.

Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 10:33

Thought I would just put this up for information.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/education/private-tutors-are-ill...

Latest post on 17 January 2011 - 09:36
don't most companies pay for schooling here Not even close, jwal. If you get school fees paid, consider yourself lucky. We don't get school fees (or rent) paid and neither do most of our friends.
Latest post on 17 January 2011 - 06:02
Boarding school so has it's advantages!!! Only if you don't want a relationship with your children..... Izzy99........you are so wrong! and that is a very sweeping statement, I would be very happy for you to meet my very happy boarding children and let them tell you what they think.
Latest post on 17 January 2011 - 02:59
I can quite easily understand why tutors would be needed. I'm looking at my kids moving into a school over there & I just can't see how the Dubai curriculum will marry up with where they're at in Oz. Age cut off dates here are 31 June. Age cut off dates there are end Sept or end December. Our school year starts end Jan. Your school year starts beginning Sept of the year before! To give an example of my 5 year old... He turns 6 early July. So he just missed prep year here last year & is starting school here next week - probably the oldest in his year group. He is pre-reading & has difficulty recognising the alphabet letters without going through the alphabet song to determine which one it is. In Dubai, he should be going into Grade 1 in Sept, but it will be the last term of Grade KG2 by the time we get there! Unless he is hot-housed over your summer break, there's no way (assuming there is similarity in G1 curriculums) that he will be up to the level of his peers by 1 Sept this year! In Australia, tutoring is very common. We have primary aged kids at a private school now and even some of them are receiving tutoring. I am lucky that I am a stay-at-home-mum, so I can spend extra time going over maths etc with my own children, but sometimes they need that extra outside the boundaries of the school to help new concepts sink in. It's a competitive world and if they miss out on the foundation stuff, sometimes it is difficult to catch up. Further the maths process has changed since we were at school. They do their sums differently now, so that makes it difficult for some parents. I had a tutor for maths in late high school and it paid off. I went on to do 4 years of stats at uni. I certainly don't see anything wrong with it if it helps a child reach their full potential.
Latest post on 17 January 2011 - 00:11
Izzy99 - your point about needing tutors here, why the need to hire a tutor? I would have had the same opinion before my kids went to school here but I can see why the need is there. In many cases I think there is far too much homework, even for young kids - so much they can't cope without parents helping and organising the homework/test prep/projects. If the parents can't help, for instance due to work and simply not being at home before it gets late and the child gets too tired (after seven o'clock my kids are too tired to do any kind of homework) - then you'd need a tutor to come in earlier in the day. If your child goes to an English speaking school and you don't speak the language well enough yourself - you will need a tutor. If, which is my case, your children go to an English speaking school but study Arabic for native speakers and only their dad can help them with that as I am not fluent in Arabic, and dad gets home at 18:00 and is really tired after work but still sits down and goes through loads of homework in Arabic, Islamic Studies and Arabic Social Studies - then you start to think that maybe getting a tutor in Arabic is not such a crazy idea after all.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 22:29
@Sticky Wicket I truly am confused at what you said. First, I have never claimed (because it is not true) that I worked in a school. I have on several occasions mentioned that I am not even a high school graduate, so not sure I would ever say I worked in a school. So...might want to work on your comprehension skills? I also have said that I am not the Dubai education advocate...just last month I ridiculed a newspaper's slant on Dubai's ranking in the OECD reports. And I most certainly have not said that the level of education here is higher than most countries' schools (again see comment about OECD reports). What I think is absolutely ridiculous is people who continually compartmentalize life in Dubai. The arguments made here that education is bad because an unconfirmed number of people have taken to hiring tutors is several steps removed from the argument of what the standard of education is like. Education reform needs to take place in many, many places...including Dubai. However, people are poking at the wrong things and that takes away from real issues.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:58
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? They're too thick? LOL How were you on A level Physics?? Great, LOL But tutors here start from primary (see numberous ads requesting for). The issues are more, lazyness, it's easier than destroying parent / child relationship, language issues, educational issues, some tutors are the "in" person to have (keep up with Jones's), tutors are trained to teach, parents arn't and finally parents can only do sooo much homework before they think enough is enough! However, still maintain that a good school will provide that extra to help the child achieve full potential and catch up if required within the school day. I think there is a LOT of panic and scarily upwardly mobile competitiveness involved...........vide the post from the lady who was asking for a tutor for her five year old (whom she sometimes had to beat")....there is an article in today's Indie about a monstrous Mama who has written a book bragging about how she basically tortured her children to make them super achievers..........very frightening. BUT on the otherhand, in Dubai there are a lot of children who are "trailing brats" who may have missed out on important bits.........and then there is the language problem for some........and of course, far too many parents both desperately treading water at work......and no time at all for the children they brought out to Eldorado. LOL LT just how can one fit in teaching your own children when you have all those brunches and nights out to fit in? Multi task, multi task, multi task..............must multi learn to task is the mantra, worked for me!!!
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:57
Boarding school so has it's advantages!!! Only if you don't want a relationship with your children..... RUBBISH!! I have a wonderful relationship with my children and they love their school and their home, it's not done for fun it's one of the greatest sacrafices parents can do for their kids futures (if they have to). Having a good relationship with your child is what makes it successful and work. I disagree with you whole heartedly and you may believe that it's rubbish but only time will tell. You may think it's a sacrifice on your part but what it does to a child is far worse. edited by Izzy99 on 16/01/2011 hmm, not going to argue the point Izzy, but you are wrong.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:55
Boarding school so has it's advantages!!! Only if you don't want a relationship with your children..... RUBBISH!! I have a wonderful relationship with my children and they love their school and their home, it's not done for fun it's one of the greatest sacrafices parents can do for their kids futures (if they have to). Having a good relationship with your child is what makes it successful and work. I disagree with you whole heartedly and you may believe that it's rubbish but only time will tell. You may think it's a sacrifice on your part but what it does to a child is far worse. edited by Izzy99 on 16/01/2011 I take it you didn't enjoy boarding then?
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:54
Boarding school so has it's advantages!!! Only if you don't want a relationship with your children..... RUBBISH!! I have a wonderful relationship with my children and they love their school and their home, it's not done for fun it's one of the greatest sacrafices parents can do for their kids futures (if they have to). Having a good relationship with your child is what makes it successful and work. I disagree with you whole heartedly and you may believe that it's rubbish but only time will tell. You may think it's a sacrifice on your part but what it does to a child is far worse. <em>edited by Izzy99 on 16/01/2011</em>
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:52
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? They're too thick? LOL How were you on A level Physics?? Great, LOL But tutors here start from primary (see numberous ads requesting for). The issues are more, lazyness, it's easier than destroying parent / child relationship, language issues, educational issues, some tutors are the "in" person to have (keep up with Jones's), tutors are trained to teach, parents arn't and finally parents can only do sooo much homework before they think enough is enough! However, still maintain that a good school will provide that extra to help the child achieve full potential and catch up if required within the school day. I think there is a LOT of panic and scarily upwardly mobile competitiveness involved...........vide the post from the lady who was asking for a tutor for her five year old (whom she sometimes had to beat")....there is an article in today's Indie about a monstrous Mama who has written a book bragging about how she basically tortured her children to make them super achievers..........very frightening. BUT on the otherhand, in Dubai there are a lot of children who are "trailing brats" who may have missed out on important bits.........and then there is the language problem for some........and of course, far too many parents both desperately treading water at work......and no time at all for the children they brought out to Eldorado. LOL LT just how can one fit in teaching your own children when you have all those brunches and nights out to fit in?
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:50
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? They're too thick? LOL How were you on A level Physics?? Great, LOL But tutors here start from primary (see numberous ads requesting for). The issues are more, lazyness, it's easier than destroying parent / child relationship, language issues, educational issues, some tutors are the "in" person to have (keep up with Jones's), tutors are trained to teach, parents arn't and finally parents can only do sooo much homework before they think enough is enough! However, still maintain that a good school will provide that extra to help the child achieve full potential and catch up if required within the school day. I think there is a LOT of panic and scarily upwardly mobile competitiveness involved...........vide the post from the lady who was asking for a tutor for her five year old (whom she sometimes had to beat")....there is an article in today's Indie about a monstrous Mama who has written a book bragging about how she basically tortured her children to make them super achievers..........very frightening. BUT on the otherhand, in Dubai there are a lot of children who are "trailing brats" who may have missed out on important bits.........and then there is the language problem for some........and of course, far too many parents both desperately treading water at work......and no time at all for the children they brought out to Eldorado.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:49
Boarding school so has it's advantages!!! Only if you don't want a relationship with your children..... RUBBISH!! I have a wonderful relationship with my children and they love their school and their home, it's not done for fun it's one of the greatest sacrafices parents can do for their kids futures (if they have to). Having a good relationship with your child is what makes it successful and work.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:47
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? I thought most children were able to do homework on their own So why the need for private tutors then? I don't have children so don't really understand but when i was at school the only pupils who had private assistance where either those that were not too bright or those who were doing extra levels.... and there was usually only one of each per class- this thread seems to indicate that all children here need to have private tutors...... If my children get stuck with homework it’s easy enough to help. I used tutors to fill/ find gaps in their education mainly in maths and English as these seem to be the subjects with the most gaps.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:46
Boarding school so has it's advantages!!! Only if you don't want a relationship with your children.....
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:43
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? I thought most children were able to do homework on their own Do you have children? Believe me, sooner or later you will get the cry..........Muuuum, I'm stuck...... and that continues right up into last year of Uni, trust me!!! And usually at 11pm when the red wine has destroyed the last few remaing brain cells. edited by Livelytrish on 16/01/2011 edited by Livelytrish on 16/01/2011 Boarding school so has it's advantages!!!
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:41
Oh and the way they do primary maths now is sooo different from when I did it....like...Number Bonds and Partitioning....WTH??
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? They're too thick? LOL How were you on A level Physics?? Great, LOL But tutors here start from primary (see numberous ads requesting for). The issues are more, lazyness, it's easier than destroying parent / child relationship, language issues, educational issues, some tutors are the "in" person to have (keep up with Jones's), tutors are trained to teach, parents arn't and finally parents can only do sooo much homework before they think enough is enough! However, still maintain that a good school will provide that extra to help the child achieve full potential and catch up if required within the school day.
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? I thought most children were able to do homework on their own So why the need for private tutors then? I don't have children so don't really understand but when i was at school the only pupils who had private assistance where either those that were not too bright or those who were doing extra levels.... and there was usually only one of each per class- this thread seems to indicate that all children here need to have private tutors......
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:40
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? I thought most children were able to do homework on their own Do you have children? Believe me, sooner or later you will get the cry..........Muuuum, I'm stuck...... and that continues right up into last year of Uni, trust me!!! And usually at 11pm when the red wine has destroyed the last few remaing brain cells. edited by Livelytrish on 16/01/2011 <em>edited by Livelytrish on 16/01/2011</em>
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:39
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? Because DD will not listen to Mummy when Mummy tries to explain, but will listen to someone else?! Or maybe Mummy is just too impatient?
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:36
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? I thought most children were able to do homework on their own
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:35
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? They're too thick? LOL How were you on A level Physics??
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:30
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work? They're too thick? LOL
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:30
Perhaps because they can't? Not everyone has studied every subject taught in school........
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:27
just a question really, but why aren't parents helping with home work?
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:25
It is ridiculous that so many perfectly normal and innocent aspects of life in UAE are illegal, but the antiquated sponsorship system prevents "normal service " in so many, many ways. By criminalising everyday activities the usual protections are removed, since nothing is above board and transparent, but instead driven underground.. Sad isn't it? i agree completely. some of these laws seem like knee-jerk reactions. or ways of making money by throwing in some licensing fees etc. any form of assault is and should be illegal, but to throw out tutoring with the bath-water is just silly. The point I was trying to make is that.............it always was illegal, the recent assault cases have just raised the topic again. There is no legal way to work for anyone other than a sponsor, end of story. Some schools allow their teachers to tutor outside of school and give them a NOC to do so.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:23
One has to remember that the UAE is still evolving and has expanded at a rapid rate it will take time for legislation and databases to be established to the norm of other countries. Another important aspect is the acceptance of below par people for child care and tuition. I still maintain that tutoring is above norm here due to a fundemental issue that no one dare say and that i would like to see more emphasis on schools addressing that issue rather than parents pockets. Cryptic i know, but i'm sure the brighter sparks will read between those lines!
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:23
It is ridiculous that so many perfectly normal and innocent aspects of life in UAE are illegal, but the antiquated sponsorship system prevents "normal service " in so many, many ways. By criminalising everyday activities the usual protections are removed, since nothing is above board and transparent, but instead driven underground.. Sad isn't it? i agree completely. some of these laws seem like knee-jerk reactions. or ways of making money by throwing in some licensing fees etc. any form of assault is and should be illegal, but to throw out tutoring with the bath-water is just silly. The point I was trying to make is that.............it always was illegal, the recent assault cases have just raised the topic again. There is no legal way to work for anyone other than a sponsor, end of story.
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:20
It is ridiculous that so many perfectly normal and innocent aspects of life in UAE are illegal, but the antiquated sponsorship system prevents "normal service " in so many, many ways. By criminalising everyday activities the usual protections are removed, since nothing is above board and transparent, but instead driven underground.. Sad isn't it? i agree completely. some of these laws seem like knee-jerk reactions. or ways of making money by throwing in some licensing fees etc. any form of assault is and should be illegal, but to throw out tutoring with the bath-water is just silly.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 16 January 2011 - 21:17
I don't understand those people saying how much we pay for school here, don't most companies pay for schooling here and that is the point? It may be more expensive but it's irrelevant because the company is paying? For any child to excel I think extra tutoring is a must, I don't see how it is any different from extra lessons? There are some really great schools here, maybe few and far between. Even so, it doesn't do any harm to challenge your child with extra tuition if you want them to do really well. edited by jwal on 16/01/2011 This is the problem, why are people accepting these low standards? Because they’re not paying for it out of their own pockets? I paid more in Dubai for education than in a UK private school and that is without adding on top tutors, after school activities and lunches. It really annoys me that people assume that everyone gets their fees paid.....they don’t, some of us work very hard to put our children through school here. I don’t think parents are using tutors for their children “to get ahead” most parents I know use tutors for their children to stay abreast of their curriculum from home so at least they have a chance of getting into a good school / Uni when they return home. I think maybe you missed my point entirely! I don't think the standards are low here in all schools. See my subsequent post re comparing private schools here and in the UK.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY