3 yr old with yellow discharge from eye | ExpatWoman.com

3 yr old with yellow discharge from eye

Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 16:55

I posted this on B&B but hoping to get some quick responses. My DS just got up from a nap with his eye glued shut with the discharge. I'm thinking eye infection but his dr's office will be closed in half an hour for the weekend. Can pharmacists recommend something or should I take him into the hospital.

Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:50
thanks ladies. I called the dr's office and the nurse said she'd talk to the dr and get back to us as to what to do. hopefully she'll call back. He's got a cold so originally I thought it was just him rubbing the yucky snot. His eye is slightly swollen and pinkish but I wouldn't call it pink eye. We just got home from holidays and he was going to have his first day of nursery on monday :( Hopefully he gets over it by then. If we don't get the call we'll stop in the pharmacist and see what they say. Back home we always used polysporin eye drops but saline ones makes sense.
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:41
My 4 year old had this last week. I went to the pharmacy as my Dr was closed also and he suggested a saline solution eye drop which cleared it up (it is called Apisal). Apisal? That's interesting. It is a sodium chloride solution which helps to reduce swelling of the surface of the eye (cornea) and has absolutely no anti-microbial properties.
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:34
def pop to a pharmacist,they do give things out to children with out a perscription, if its something simple like an eye infection or a stye. My dd had a sticky eye and he gave her some cream to put init and it cleared up by the next day.
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:33
My 4 year old had this last week. I went to the pharmacy as my Dr was closed also and he suggested a saline solution eye drop which cleared it up (it is called Apisal). My 2 year has it now and really hard to get the drops in! I have been using warm salted water on a soft washcloth which is clearing away the discharge. I kept my year old home from school and the teacher said there is a lot of it going round. Hope your DS feels better soon.....
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:24
Pharmacist won't give anythign for eye infections to children without a prescription (rightly so). Bathe his eyes in saline, using a wad of cotton wool for each eye, going from the bridge of the nose out towards the ears. Throw the cotton wool away and wash your hands thoroughly... anything to prevent cross-contamination. If this happens to a baby who's being breastfed, word is that a few drops of breastmilk helps cure it. Didn't ever have to opportunity to test this theory, so can't say! Hello.Again.Kitty.... I would always advise seeing a doctor... But as OP says, its almost the weekend and it would appear that he was ok before he went for his nap. A pharmacist will be able to judge whether he needs to see a doctor or if its just sticky eye... Which a lot of babies/toddlers get.
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:20
I posted this on B&B but hoping to get some quick responses. My DS just got up from a nap with his eye glued shut with the discharge. I'm thinking eye infection but his dr's office will be closed in half an hour for the weekend. Can pharmacists recommend something or should I take him into the hospital. Is the eye red or swollen? Does his keep wanting to rub his eye as it's itchy? It may be bacterial conjunctivitis but could be other possibilities as well. The pharmacist will likely give him some drops but it's always safer to have a doctor ie Ophthalmologist to examine the eye in greater detail. Take picture of the eye in case to show to your doctor. In the meantime, try to use non-eye stinging baby shampoo on a wet soft cloth (or prepared eye scrubs) to wipe the goop off the eye. Bacterial conjunctivitis is highly contagious, so make sure he doesn't touch his eyes (easier said than done) and wash the stuff he has used. Hope he gets seen soon and feeling better.
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:17
Pharmacist won't give anythign for eye infections to children without a prescription (rightly so). Bathe his eyes in saline, using a wad of cotton wool for each eye, going from the bridge of the nose out towards the ears. Throw the cotton wool away and wash your hands thoroughly... anything to prevent cross-contamination. If this happens to a baby who's being breastfed, word is that a few drops of breastmilk helps cure it. Didn't ever have to opportunity to test this theory, so can't say!
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:10
Could just be sticky eye. Bathe it in warm water. If it still looks puffy and sore then pop him to a pharmacist... They are very good over here and will advise you on either drops or to see a doctor.
Latest post on 27 January 2011 - 17:01
Just for starters, try bathing his eye with cold cammomile tea. I don't know the answer to your question, but why don't you ring the doc and see if you can get advice on what to do? If not, go to a pharmacy and see what they say.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY