Short term apartments in Dubai- safe, calm and not too expensive- can anyone advise? | ExpatWoman.com

Short term apartments in Dubai- safe, calm and not too expensive- can anyone advise?

Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 15:49

I need to rent a one-bedroom studio or apartment in Dubai for about a month (mid-Feb to mid-March) but the sheer number of options is a bit baffling. I'd like to find somewhere basic, safe and calm, preferably around the Greens/Tecom/Media City areas.

I don't want it to be too expensive, but I'm a bit worried about the cheaper options. For example, walking past a particular group of hotel apartments in Tecom near the Metro station, it seems that a lot of the apartments are occupied by groups of men, and to be honest they seem a bit dodgy. Online searches aren't helping, as the very apartment blocks I think are dodgy are coming up as luxury options.

Has anyone any experience of friends/relatives who have needed accommodation like this? I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 22:21
I am here, email me and then I can give you my number, we ended up in Liwa Heights in JLT, after an extensive search, 1 bed for 9000 but they are bigger than most! Discovery is cheap but the agents I called wanted commission on top! Liwa is a hotel so dont have that to pay, and all the advantages of hotel living is fab! Weekly clean and bed change, Gloria is 9000 a month also with better pool and gym , but smaller living space, depends what you need, Leiya and Frasier are lovely but more expensive Opal in Al Barsha were 8000 but too far from Abu Dhabi for us as that is where DH works. Email if you need more info Think I looked almost every where! slimmingworldjulieatbtinternetdotcom for help if you need it! <em>edited by northernstar on 01/02/2011</em>
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 10:23
This is brill, thank you, helpful to those with 2 kids and the need for short term fast. Er, Northern Star? Northern Star? Where for art thou? :) Her son is visiting at the mo, but I'll facebook her a message. :)
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 09:05
I booked through mydubaistay - I had wanted an apartment in JLTan chose the one I wanted, but it must have been full as they offered me another one close by - the Dubai Arch Tower for roughly the same price. I wasn't impressed at all - I renamed it Cockroach Tower - and when I complained to the the company they just said "oh are they back again, that tower has always had a problem".....................
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 20:35
What about some of the hotel apartments on SZR? Al Habtoor?
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 20:33
This is brill, thank you, helpful to those with 2 kids and the need for short term fast. Er, Northern Star? Northern Star? Where for art thou? :)
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 17:39
Put a call out for NorthernStar, she has info on more than 40! serviced apartments in the new Dubai end of town. she has info like the fact the Gloria doesnt have an oven, now that may or may not bother you but for some people it would. Also prices are negotiable in most places, and make sure you compare like for like. Lots of places charge extra for internet at a very expensive rate.
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 17:38
I live in the Frasier suites.....great value and fantastic facilities
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 17:27
E_M, you're a star! That's just the kind of information I was looking for! And great to hear that you've actually visited the apartments. I'm putting Layia Oak on the top of my list! Thanks so much.
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 16:35
I recently visited pretty much every serviced apartment in the areas you mentioned and found the Layia Oak to be the best value for money for a well-furnished, airy, clean serviced apartment. It is part of a largish hotel in Tecom and is Dhs10k per month including nice breakfast (and the beds are amazingly comfortable with enormous pillows!). The 'next best' were probably the Gloria and Grand Mid West in Media City - I would say similar standard, but more expensive - about Dhs12.5k per month. Layia has sister apartments called Topaz and Crystal, both in the area behind Mall of the Emirates, which I would say are the best within the next category down - they are clean and modern, but not part of a hotel so have a different feel.
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 16:18
anytime ...
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 16:08
Thank you very much for that Khatoon. I will definitely consider it. The only problem is, it's a little bit further away from the ideal area. But I'll have a look at Dubizzle. Thanks again.
Latest post on 31 January 2011 - 16:01
I live in Discovery gardens and its a beautiful area. it is calm and safe and cheap . Check on Dubizzle and you will find apartments on monthly rents in Discovery Gardens.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY