How long did it take you to | ExpatWoman.com

How long did it take you to

Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 20:50

find a new home for your housemaid?
How long should I leave it before departure back home to find her a spot?
Our close friends are all sorted out with their own long term helpers, or one of them would take her.
Obv. we'll email people we know via the kid's schools and so on, but how long is a reasonable guide to start hunting for a new madam?
There is no way we're going to let her go to someone who won't transfer the sponsorship, so need to leave time to find a "noice family", not let her go home on hols and then have her stuck with the "oh, you can come in on a visit visa and we'll see how you go".
Please don't beat me to a pulp like a normal maid thread, I just want to do the right thing by her, she's been terrific.

Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 22:38
SamD - Please email your contacts to [email protected]. I have a friend whose maid has to go home by mid month and they are looking for replacement just as good as her. 16mth and new baby on the way. A beautiful family, she would have most 2 day weekends and eves off. Mum and dad take over after work and at weekends. TIA
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 22:15
That's a compliment in my family!
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 22:10
It was funny though. :) Only cos you have a corrupt mind! LOL
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 22:09
It was funny though. :)
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:48
Right, so if I allow 2-3 weeks that's long enough? Hmm. Don't think I'll pass on the rehoming cats comment. :) :) :) :\:
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:46
well, i know your leaving the third week of feb, right?
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:45
Right, so if I allow 2-3 weeks that's long enough? Hmm. Don't think I'll pass on the rehoming cats comment. :) :) :)
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:44
We are, but probably in stages - women and children first! LOL umm, maid first might be a better move! LOL
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:43
We are, but probably in stages - women and children first! LOL
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:42
Sam D are you leaving the UAE ??
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:32
haha mailed you first SamD!
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:32
Tis like rehoming cats this thread!
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:19
I put mine on EW classifieds and she had a new job by the end of the day! good news for her, a pain for me as they need her right away, so I let her go but I could really have done with her myself for a week or two longer. lol
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 21:06
I don't want this thread to get deleted because I should use the classifieds section, so maybe you need to contact me via the email? We are each other's 'firsts'. She had never worked abroad before, we'd never had a helper. We all kind of worked it out together and she's had to put up with as much learning curve from me, as me with her. 4 years she's been with us. She will be as good with your 2 year old as you empower her to be - if she tells your 2 year old no and you say yes, she won't want to stay. Our kids adore her and I am totally comfortable leaving her in charge of them. When I had to leave to go home for a family emergency, she just took over and it was like I hadn't left at all. Unpleasant for the ego! She'd be a great fit for most of the ads on EW. But that still leaves the question, how long should I leave to arrange it?
Latest post on 01 February 2011 - 20:55
how long have you had her? how is she with children? how much is she looking for? I'm not in Dubai till mid to late feb. I think we have each others email addresses already, right?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY