Cheapest way to get a temporary mobile phone in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Cheapest way to get a temporary mobile phone in Dubai

Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 07:12

Reading another thread made me think ahead to our orientation visit...

Is it possible to purchase a sim card and pre-pay mobile calls in Dubai?

Using my current phone account to contact schools, real estate agents, taxi's, DH etc, I presume, would be hugely expensive. What do people do when they're there for only a week or so and need to be accessible?

Any suggestions?
TIA

Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 11:28
Thanks everyone, that's all very helpful. Sounds like it should be a relatively easy process.
Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 10:27
I recommend the Etisalat sim cards bought over the counter as the credit/recharge stays for up to a year.....the sim cards from Du I've bought for visitors expire after a month or so and then the credit has gone. The du cards can be renewed/extended every 90 days, it costs 20 dirhams, the 'more time' credit never expires. Or, you can migrate to pay as you go for 100 dirhams . I still have my original after 3 years.
Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 10:08
I recommend the Etisalat sim cards bought over the counter as the credit/recharge stays for up to a year.....the sim cards from Du I've bought for visitors expire after a month or so and then the credit has gone.
Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 09:34
there are sometimes Dh70 phone +sim in some cheap groceries, like LULU or even Carrefour have deals from time to time/
Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 09:31
you can pick them up at Dubai airport.
Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 09:29
You can buy a visitor mobile sim card from du for 49 dirhams. <em>edited by hilbos on 12/02/2011</em>
Latest post on 12 February 2011 - 07:40
Get your relo agent to get you one. We keep a stock in our office for our clients. Top ups can be purchased anywhere, supermarkets, malls, petrol stations.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY