Your opinions on movers please | ExpatWoman.com

Your opinions on movers please

Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 20:33

I got 4 quotes yesterday for moving. All offering the same services. Have anyone used any of these people and have any recommendations/warnings?

Cyber Freight 3,200 Dhs
E movers 4,200 Dhs
Thames Shipping 2,700
Global Shipping 1,950

Thanks in advance!

Latest post on 17 February 2011 - 19:53
E-movers sent my friends stuff back to the uk eventually - after forgetting to send it for SIX weeks! It's taken three months for a few boxes that they said would take 6-8 weeks.....
Latest post on 17 February 2011 - 05:19
Hi, we've just used Globalpack...2500 for a 2 bed apartment over 1 day. I would say they were OK but not brilliant. The guy in charge didn't speak very good English. They disappeared for 3 hours in the middle of the day and I never did work out what had gone wrong as I couldn't understand what he was saying. As a result, they did very much a rushed job of unpacking and it had got very late which wasn't great as I had to get my 2 small children to bed. However, nothing was damaged, and the guys were pleasant and careful with the packing up.
Latest post on 15 February 2011 - 08:12
We used Thames Shipping two years ago. Though I initially thought they did a good job, I came to realize once I was unpacking boxes that a small but beautiful Persian silk rug of ours had gone missing. I tried contacting them, and even e-mailed them about it. I was not accusatory in my tone, I even requested they check with the moving team to see if it had remained in the moving van by accident. They did not even have the decency to call or e-mail me back.
Latest post on 15 February 2011 - 07:37
We used GLOBALPACK (think they are different to global shipping) and they were superb. Did the move over 2 days packed all the house except the beds the first day so we could still sleep there and then packed the beds and completed the move and unpacking everything the next day. Friends could not believe it when I sent pictures the evening of our move - we were all settled on our sofa with everything in it's place. They were absolutely amazing and zero damage. I always recommend them and know others who have used them and have been equally happy.
Latest post on 15 February 2011 - 07:26
We are currently moving with Thames shipping (day 2 of 2). So far they have been excellent. All downstairs and most of upstairs packed up. Dining room, family room and outside furniture and plants (2 truck loads)all unpacked yesterday, all big furniture going today. They arrived on time, worked well and cleared up. Nothing broken. High praise. Negotiated the cost to 3500dhs for 42 cubic metres. I liked the guy from Global but they were so much cheaper I was a bit worried to be honest that maybe it wouldnt be done right. Top tip I kept plates cutlery etc but forgot a corkscrew!! Also they packed all the takeaway menus and it was valentines day so delivery took ages ;-) For the other thread DH gifted me a bottle of wine opened with a screwdriver, oh yes he kept his tools!
Latest post on 15 February 2011 - 00:30
Gill packing (from a search on here) full packing and unpacking, 2 trips, 3 bed house worth for 2,000
Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 23:20
Oh! I just emailed them asking to come and quote for me. Wondering now if that's a mistake ..... any one else have any comments on any of the other companies?
Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 21:26
Have used TMS 3 times over the past 5 years. Twice were just ok as they broke items and hide them (so I found them later when I was left to unpack) and last time was an absolute nightmare! They didn't unpack any boxes (none, zero!), assembled 2 pieces of furniture only (my husband did the rest ie all beds, chest of draws etc ... and had to redo both the pieces they did as they left half the bolts in the draws ...) disappeared for 4 hours on day 1 and showed up at 2pm on day 2 ... will never ever use them nor recommend them again. We had prepared a lot in advance, did all the art + electronic ourselves and they had very little left to do... Nightmare move!
Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 21:03
Yep Kells, we did ;) We paid DHS2500 - they worked a full 12 hours doing 2 trips between the places. They wrapped everything up so well, I was impressed! 4 Bedrooms, family of 3. HTH
Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 21:00
Cheers ladies, can you say what you paid? How many bedrooms and people in your family? Just to give me an idea if it's similar load or not.
Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 20:56
We recently moved within Dubai and used TMS (Total Moving & Storage) on the recommendation from a friend. They were extremely professional and I would also highly recommend them. Wondered if u used them in the end. Ditto what Shellly said. They were fab and gave the beat quote. Will always reccommend and will most defo use then again.
Latest post on 14 February 2011 - 20:51
We recently moved within Dubai and used TMS (Total Moving & Storage) on the recommendation from a friend. They were extremely professional and I would also highly recommend them.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY