knitting and the equipment you need to do it | ExpatWoman.com

knitting and the equipment you need to do it

Latest post on 09 April 2011 - 18:28

Hi Ladies

I have just bought a book entitled Knitting for Dummies, since I have an idea in my mind to start knitting in order to relax and feel a sense of achievement in making nice gifts for my friends and family etc. Maybe the question has been asked before but when you search on here it only ever seems to bring up threads in DXB for some reason! Anyway I am just wondering if there are any places in Doha to buy needles, wool and patterns etc and if so would anyone recommend it?

Many thanks

Ladynorth :-)

Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 08:36
The wools are all synthetic here. So I buy the pattern, wool etc when I'm home. Same with tapestry.
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:46
www.yarnsdubai.com has some yarns for sale. I bought a few off them, they deliver them for free which is convenient.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 21:37
I have lots of yarn and knitting supplies available for purchase if anyone is interested. (I used to own a shop in the USA). Just reply and I'll let you know how to get in touch with me. I also have an enormous selection of beads and beading supplies for those that are interested. Best, Dzinergurl
Latest post on 09 April 2011 - 19:00
I have not found ANY nice yarn on Doha. The good thing is it's really light and squishy so easy to bring in your suitcases and/or ship with aramex. Everything I have found here is craft quality synthetics. If someone knows where you can get nice cottons, wools or really anything that isn't plastic... I will buy the coffee on the yarn buying field trip! :) That said, the synthetics are quite good for learning. They are fairly forgiving and slide on the needles easily. They just don't make nice baby booties, socks or jumpers. I am seeing lots of iPhone socks and soda can coozies in your future! I have seen needles at Diaso (in Hyatt Plaza above the home store) and also the Al Rawnaq down near the fabric souq (by Fanar). The selection that I have found is REALLY slim. Consider picking out a pattern (either in your book or on the internet... there are LOADS as well as tutorials, videos if you are a visual learner and magazines with instruction and patterns that you can subscribe to online) and ordering the correct yarn and needles online and having them shipped. Gauge (the amount of stitches you get in a square) is key and changing the size of the needles or the kind of yarn can play havoc with your patterns. I LOVE to knit and have been remiss about picking up my sticks since coming here. Good thing I am going home in a month or so... I have a blanket and a sweater waiting! care