Dubai International Academy | ExpatWoman.com

Dubai International Academy

Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 13:59

My DS is in year7 in Winchester school, I want to change the school and considering DIA can someone please advice on DIA.....

Latest post on 18 May 2011 - 14:55
My son is in year 7 at DIA and I would not recommend the school to anyone. I have been trying over the last year to get him into a British curriculum, but there has not been any places even though I have paid AED 500 /- for a place. I feel the internet is the teacher (if that makes any sense). They work very closely with Ed Line and this is where you check your homework, but I think it is very complicated and not easy for the younger students to use. The school has good facilities and I am sure there are a lot of good teachers. Maybe primary level is different and I think it depends on your child too. Anybody can teach a A * pupil but not all kids are A* I think you should go to a few different schools and that way you can decide yourself, as everyone has different opinions, but mine for DIA is not a good one and after 3 years I think I can have my opinion. Good luck!
Latest post on 18 May 2011 - 14:32
shagdash, your child/ren is in elementary, the OP needs feedback on secondary. My kids both went to DIA elementary and I was happy with the school, however I have no regrets that my eldest did not go to DIA secondary after feedback I got from friends who already had kids there. Unless there has been a massive overhaul, the quality of elementary and secondary were not at all comparable.
Latest post on 18 May 2011 - 13:44
Thanx for all the feedbacks but are from primary school.... if some secondary school parents/teachers can give the feedback, it will be great help...
Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 23:42
I think you have been getting very negative and perhaps somewhat biased reviews of DIA here. DS goes to DIA Primary. Though I am moving him out the coming year, I have to say that I was quite happy with his first year at DIA (he goes to KG1). This is why I have no complaints, am quite happy with the Primary school: 1) They have 1 teacher and two TA's per class of 25 (That is 1 to 8 ratio which ain't bad) 2) They have a very good PE and Music and Movement program. The teachers are really quite good and he really loves these classes. 3) The facilities are good, they have 2 pools, football field, indoor gyms, outdoor play areas etc. 4) The teaching is very nurturing - at least in the primary years - it really helps a child feel secure and his thoughts and opinions valued. Independence is encouraged and I am very happy in my child's progress at being able to express himself. 5) They have a very good after school activity schedule. The child is busy and is able to explore very many activities - creative, sport, intellectual even fun stuff like lego clubs etc. 6) They learn through play. They learn through DOING things, doing projects, having theme based classes - I cannot think of a better way to build an enquiring, curious, eager to learn mind. 7) They have many events in school - which builds on the whole international community spirit - his social skills have developed quite well. 8) At least in the primary years - there is excellent communication between the teachers and parents regarding weekly school progress etc. The main problem I've found and my reason for moving him is, 1) Since they seem to have no written down, set curriculum - sometimes I feel DS is not being challenged enough academically. HTH
Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 20:21
Very unhappy with DIA
Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 19:40
We LOVE Dubai American Academy I wish everyone could go there
Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 18:09
My daughter did 1/2 year at Winchester, then went to DIA for 2 years (I can't believe I let that go on for so long), and now is in DAA (where she'll stay).
Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 16:51
My son has been there for 3 years, and I find the fact that it is accredited by the IB in Switzerland a positive thing, then that keeps them on their toes or they lose the accreditation. I am happy with the primary school and the IB particularly. Does the school have things I am not so thrilled about? Yes, but so do most schools in Dubai. they received a "good" rating from KHDA this year, so things must be done properly. The teachers are good and the social life of my child is also good, he has made some really nice friends there. Good luck in your search for schools!
Latest post on 16 May 2011 - 14:58
Hi I don't have any kids there, but in researching schools on this forum in preparation for our move, saw a fair bit of negative feedback about the secondary school. The primary school comments seemed a little more positive, but not glowing like some of the other schools' feedback. My impression overall was that it wouldn't be most people's first choice as a school for their kids - primary or secondary. Perhaps do a search for "DIA" or "Dubai International Academy" so that you can read them for yourself?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY