40+ women who had LASIK | ExpatWoman.com

40+ women who had LASIK

Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 15:55

Had all tests done for my LASIK treatment today and dr. told me that after the procedure I will need reading glasses within 6 months!!!??? I am 39, according to him, the procedure will take away the advantage I have now because of my 'minus' number. He also said that women normally start having trouble reading at 38. No one in my family needed reading glasses before the age of 60 though.

Please can you share your experiences?

Thanks!

Latest post on 21 December 2015 - 12:43
Its always tricky to get lasik done around 40s, complications, and sometimes, no complete resolution is possible, but getting the right treatment, with the right doctor will matter a lot in this regards, I searched many facilities in Dubai, including Abu Dhabi as well, but then stuck to Spanish Center Dubai for my mother, lets see how surgery goes for her, i will post later on how it went and what was results.
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 03:59
I had mine done at 43, three years ago now. I'd had myopia and strong astigmatism my whole life. The freedom of not having to wear glasses to walk around, when I get out of bed, to drive, and not having to buy prescription sunglasses or fear the ocean because I can't see anything is WELL worth the hassle of buying cheapo reading glasses (which I needed within 6 months of the surgery) for reading and computer work. I had a fog over my vision for the first week or two, but was still able to get around, drive, etc. I even traveled to Belgium the week after! That probably wasn't the best decision -- trying to read signs in a foreign language when everything is still foggy was a hassle -- but it worked out fine. I've never had any side-effects after the first week or two, and would recommend this as as option for anyone who's tired of being dependent on glasses from the moment they wake up in the morning to the minute they go to bed.
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 17:29
http://mylasikdiary.wordpress.com
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 21:45
Totally agree with you LivelyTrish. I know someone who had the procedure done using a Groupon voucher and she was unable to see very much out of one eye afterwards. Sorry, don't know where she had it done, but I would be very wary. It put me off having it done here. I had LASEK (I wasn't able to have LASIK) in the UK at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital at the age of 45. I still need to wear reading glasses and I have a slight prescription but I love not having to wear contact lenses/glasses all the time.
Latest post on 17 November 2015 - 08:53
If someones looking for reasonable LASIK, I had it done 6 years ago by Dr Singh at Belhoul for about 7500dhs which I think is quite reasonable. Perfect results and he was recommended by a coworker. I would be wary of Groupon deals.
Latest post on 16 November 2015 - 17:43
I had always been an extremely sensitive person when it comes to my eyes, working as Graphics Designer in Abu Dhabi, so my career and my skills are dependent on my eyes, LASIK had always scared me because fear of involving eyes. then i started reading about LASIK and found that better techniques are available in UAE which do not involve blade or any sharp tool, but still i was afraid because i already had dry eyes and dry eyes is another complication after LASIK, which meant that my dry eyes problem will increase after LASIK. I found that there is a new technique called IntraLASIK HD and even better technique that IntraLASIK which is ReLEX or FemtoSMILE i heard on TV, i searched online found that only two places offered it in UAE almost 6 months back. I got my IntraLASIK HD done at Spanish Center Dubai in Jumeirah, I remember the procedure took around 10 mins and i had to struggle for two days, but after that my eyes got completely normal.. after the procedure I still had little bit dry eyes problem but thats because of eye drainage holes, doctor said that my eyes produce limited tears and drainage hole is big thats why tears do not retain in eye for enough time. after 6 months of Intra lasik, I find the going for LASIK was worth it.
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 13:21
Buying it on Groupon? I want this or that treatment? How about what the doc suggests? None of you seem to have a thought either for the fact that your lasik may be made redundant by your natural ageing of your eye ie towards cataracts. Most people get them to some degree or other. This undoes the benefits of the Lasik.
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 11:43
i had the monovision done wiht Dr Millicent Grim at Gulf Eye Clinic - i was about 46/7 at the time. it was okay - but not great - i have resisted for a few years now but realistically i need to have the other eye done, and resort to 'readers' - as it stands now my 'close up' vision is v poor indeed.
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:03
My mom did Lasik in her 50s and they did one eye more so than the other hopefully so she could avoid reading glasses. Nope, she now has chronic dye eye and wears reading glasses within 5 or so years from the surgery.
Latest post on 12 July 2011 - 11:30
just a note... not all people are suitable candidates for LASIK... it will depend on many factors - thickness of your cornea, dry eye syndrome, stability of prescription, etc. i had very high myopia (-17 and -18) and was on contact lenses since i was 11... finally my power stabilised when i was 28!!! when i went for a LASIK assessment I was told that the surgery is only suitable for powers below -10 and hence not an option for me... the alternative was to do a surgery called ICL... more expensive than LASIK but the perfect solution for people who are not suitable candidates for LASIK... plus the beauty of the ICL procedure is that it's completely reversible (so if at all ur power changes in 10-20 years time, you can actually redo the surgery, remove the old lens and insert a new one)! i got mine done by Dr. Anupama Rao at the City Hospital... it's a day surgery procedure... vision is perfect immediately after surgery (unlike LASIK where you need days before vision returns to perfection) just a thought for those who might be worried about the risks associated with LASIK and for those who are not appropriate candidates for the same :)
Latest post on 12 July 2011 - 11:19
KT- My husband is wanting lasik and we have already had our consultation appointment at Atlanta Vision. If you are still having buyer's remorse about the groupon you bought we would be willing to buy it from you! <em>edited by jgwiese on 12/07/2011</em>
Latest post on 02 July 2011 - 15:37
Hi lcoolie, I had my LASIK done in Hong Kong. I think the procedure is pretty standard these days but if you are worried about finding someone reputable then make sure you go on recommendation or seek advice from Moorfields in Healthcare City.
Latest post on 02 July 2011 - 13:36
my mom had really bad vision and had lasik done in her late 40s. Constantly need eye drops up to 10 times a day. Still needed reading glasses. Then after 4 years she said her sight starting deteriorating again and had a top up a couple of years ago. Spends around 200 dirhams a month on eye drops which she still needs constantly. We all tell her its not right but she defends it by saying "if i hadnt had the lasik id be wearing glasses permanently now instead of just for reading" So.....
Latest post on 01 July 2011 - 12:36
Had lasik monovision done well into my 50's and am pretty happy with it. Just sorry that I didn't have lens implants instead which would mean that my eye sight shouldn't deteriorate or if it did then another lens (different strength) is implanted.
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 22:12
realist I had a similar experience. Well not pain so much, but was quite nauseous and weak right afterwards. I slept it off, and woke up a new woman! With regard to the Groupon, if its a reputable center and people are reporting good experiences, the fact that they are offering a discount doesn't mean its any riskier than paying full price. Realist had a good experience, so there's no reason to assume that you won't as well KT! I had mine done in Egypt - where I paid about 1/4 of what I would have paid for the same procedure in Qatar. The doctor and clinic I went to were highly reputable, and the lower cost was not a reflection of questionable medical capabilities. My only regret I had was that I waiting so long before having the surgery in the first place!
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 21:57
I'm really, really bemused by this thread.............given some of the horror stories re coupon deals for meals/hairdos etc gone horribly wrong.....the fact that anyone would risk their precious eyesight to save a few bucks is utterly and totally bizarre, Oh...and I have a dear friend in UK who went to a (well known) High Street chain of opticians who offer this surgery (as opposed to doing the sensible thing and paying full whack to have it done at Moorfields Hospital in London.)........the jury is still out on as to whether she will regain anything like vision in one eye. Frankly, there are some things you don't try to save money on.
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 21:56
I had my LASIK done at Vision Altanta Clinic on Beach Road eight months ago and my vision is perfect now. I thought they were excellent, really professional. It was the best decision for me. but it really hurts a few hours after they do it so have I took some strong painkillers and slept for a few hours and when I woke up... I could see. Amazing.
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 21:42
Icoolie the Groupon deal was with 'Atlanta Vision Clinic' (close to Burj Al Arab on Jumeirah Beach Road) it closed last night at midnight. Because I only had an hour to decide before the deal closed I think I may have rushed into it somewhat + am worried about whether I have made the right decision! Thanks so much for the USAEyes link Bianca72. May I ask the name of your Doctor + what do you think of his/her standards? Did you also see the USAEyes: 50 tough questions for your Lasik Doctor? Just hope Dr. Huba + Dr. Ashraf at Atlanta really know their stuff. When will you have the corrective surgery Bianca72 + if you wear soft lenses how long before surgery were you advised to keep the lenses out? So many questions, sorry!
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 12:26
Have been & logged on Groupon & can't see the deal anymore - I assume its been taken off. Which Lasik place was it for?
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 09:00
Have just brought Lasik for both eyes from Groupon! Can't believe it! All excited + anxious at the same time. Bianca72 please could you tell me about Monovision, is it better than Lasik. Obviously I haven't done enough research. Let us know how it goes - I'd love to have Lasik but haven't yet had the guts to try it. My prescription isn't that bad - about -3 in both eyes. Just enough to be pain really - and I have to wear glasses most of the time.
Latest post on 30 June 2011 - 08:47
Hi KT. Monovision is not a different technique, it can be done with any of the laser treatments. It is meant for people around or over 40 and is used to avoid the need of reading glasses. Read the following link, it explains it all... HTH http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-monovision.htm
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 23:49
Have just brought Lasik for both eyes from Groupon! Can't believe it! All excited + anxious at the same time. Bianca72 please could you tell me about Monovision, is it better than Lasik. Obviously I haven't done enough research.
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 22:12
Have to agree with RachelA - I had my Lasik done 15 years ago at 35 or so. Had dreadful astigmatism previous to the surgery. Did'n't need reading glasses until about 3 years ago. Still have great distance vision and only need glasses to read the small print.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 22:11
I had 2 sets of lasik at age 32 ( I was a minus 9 presciption - technically blind). I'm now 47 & have been using reading glasses for a year. It's an age thing & I feel lucky to have been without my 'coke-bottle bottomed' specs for the past 15 years!
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 19:15
I had Lasik when I was 44, and the Dr. told me that I should expect to need reading glasses immediately. He was completely right. I've been using reading glasses ever since, and while it's a slight nuisance it is a million times better than being completely dependent on glasses or contacts. Pre-Lasik I could not even get up in the night to pee without putting on my glasses, so needing to reach into my bag to read a menu is nothing to complain about in comparison. I do most of my leisure reading on the kindle, and I generally make the typeface larger rather than put my glasses on. The way I figure it, I'm a lot happier with reading glasses than I would be with bifocals.
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 19:08
thanks!
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 19:00
For Dragon - did you get yours done in Dubai ( if so where) I have wanted to get this done for year, now approaching 40 & moving to Dubai next month, can't afford it yet - but would love to know where a good place in Dubai is to get it done as I am worried about sand in the air & contact lens!!! Go to Groupon.ae, there is a deal going on that is valid for the next six months. May be worth a look and research.
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 18:59
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Am considering monovision now, sounded really ridiculous when the dr mentioned it but apparently it is a good option.
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 18:44
For Dragon - did you get yours done in Dubai ( if so where) I have wanted to get this done for year, now approaching 40 & moving to Dubai next month, can't afford it yet - but would love to know where a good place in Dubai is to get it done as I am worried about sand in the air & contact lens!!!
Latest post on 29 June 2011 - 18:31
I have one eye that is -0.5 less than the other one so I do not need reading glasses....yet. However, it can be a bit of a pain when driving and trying to read road signs from long distance but I can wear glasses or a contact lens if I choose to so they are 20/20 just for driving. I was really short-sighted once and it was the best thing I've ever done.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY