Renewing car registration | ExpatWoman.com

Renewing car registration

Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 19:45
So do RSA or any of the 'trusted' insurers.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 19:37
Yes, this is right. Insurance is for 13 months and registration is for 12. When your insurance is exp you should do the renewal of the insurance and registration. If you use AXA they will do that for you for free :)
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 18:19
If it's a new car, then you obviuosly don't have to have it road tested. Check to see if you're insurance company is one of the 5 that can actually re-register it for you.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 18:17
You should insure your car now and not wait for it to expire in a month. Although you have a 30 day grace on renewing registration, it is best to be legal so to speak in case of an accident or just being pulled up by the police. Although your insurance is valid for 13 months, we all know that the premium is calculated on 12 months and I guess the extra month is just there to give you time to shop for a new policy.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 18:16
You can renew the insurance anytime - DH waits till about 7 days before the end of the 30 day grace period. Depending on teh comany they will auto notify the RTA (AXA does) and you can see on the www site when it has been registered (usually next day). Then you can do the online renewal
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 17:04
Thanks very much MrsMopp, we were both a bit worried. Can you be fined though if you are in an accident and your registration has expired? I actually had an accident when our registration was expired (about 5/6 years ago) and we had no problems whatsoever.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:54
Thanks Shinynewpony. I am sitting here shaking my head at the logic of it all, it looks like I need to just go with the flow!! What happens if you want to change the insurance company? It was free with the car and we don't want to continue to use them. I am guessing that we wait the month and then renew insurance with who we want and renew the car rego at the same time. Or is it something different again.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:49
All car insurance polcies here are for 13 months (not just the first year). You cannot renew your car untill you have renewed your insurance (and that will be for another 13 months). Yes you do get 30 days grace (hence the 13 month insurance). Best way to do it is renew insurance then just renew the car online. They will give you a temporary cert to print out and send a courier with the original card and sticker for the car (only applies if the car is less than 3 years old i.e. does not need testing).
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:47
The first year car insurance is usually issued for 13 months. I think you still need to register your car by its expiration date to avoid penalty (however small) as I don't believe there is a grace period anymore. Talk to your insurance company for the renewal, it's a been a long while for me to remember exactly, someone here might be able to clarify. It's best not to drive with an expired registration if you can help it. Just my 2C :D Thanks, will give the insurance company a call. Don't like the idea of driving while expired, have never come across this before, too used to it being that once your rego was expired, it was expired and no grace period. Either way we will have to drive while expired until Sunday at least, when RTA reopen. Thanks.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:41
The first year car insurance is usually issued for 13 months. I think you still need to register your car by its expiration date to avoid penalty (however small) as I don't believe there is a grace period anymore. Talk to your insurance company for the renewal, it's a been a long while for me to remember exactly, someone here might be able to clarify. It's best not to drive with an expired registration if you can help it. Just my 2C :D
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:29
Thanks very much MrsMopp, we were both a bit worried. Can you be fined though if you are in an accident and your registration has expired?
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:25
You should get a months grace. We often let our cars registration expire and then tie it in with insurance.
Latest post on 07 July 2011 - 16:22
Hi Ladies I'm sure you will be able to help. Our car registration is due tomorrow so my DH went to sort it out today. He was told that it can't be renewed because there is still a month left on the insurance and my DH said yes that is correct however the registration for the car runs out tomorrow. He was told to come back in a month when the insurance is about to expire. Is this correct? We are unsure what to do as this is the first time we are renewing the registration. The car was brand new when we bought it. We are a bit worried about driving around with an expired registration. Thanks.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY