Cats and Balconies | ExpatWoman.com

Cats and Balconies

Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 12:23

I hope someone can help - I am moving to a new apartment on the 32nd floor with my local black and white cat. In the place we're living at the moment there is no balcony so she has never been exposed to one and I am just wondering how best to introduce her to the balcony to make sure that she doesn't jump off! I am guessing I should keep her indoors for a few days so she at least gets used to her new home from the inside first, but then after that does anyone know if it would be safe to let her onto the balcony at all?! Maybe supervised visits only...? I don't want to get this wrong! Any advice much appreciated....thanks!

Latest post on 05 August 2011 - 14:24
Thank you so much Clarice. For the quoting part, you simply click on the "quote" above my text box, and in the new reply box that automatically opens, you write underneath the quoted texts. As soon as I get my appt, I'll give JC a call and ask them to come around and give me some ideas. Yes, please, photos would be really good as I can see if would be suitable for my area. Yep, cannot have any harm coming to the cats. would be broken with grief !
Latest post on 05 August 2011 - 09:49
I have no idea how to quote previous replies on this thing but for FFK1978 - I seem to remember my friend's enclosure cost around 800dhs, let me see if I can get hold of a couple of pics for you. Maybe worth giving Jumeirah Carpentry a call and see what they can do for you. They built a massive enclosure for me in my garden too as my place backs on to a main road and there's no way I need to be finding any of my kitties squished on it!
Latest post on 02 August 2011 - 09:24
i liked the once online that they put in the backyards, moving to a villa and have a big backyard, wall is high but im still not confident letting them out, mine love outdoors as they are were all rescued at different age some still remember the outside!! :) And i agree with anybody who doesnt let their cats in the balconies, its the best way to keep them safe!!
Latest post on 02 August 2011 - 01:00
I believe they do (catwalk) and if not, there are directions on the internet for making a secure area for the cat. Never let a cat on a balcony, ever....unless it is secure. If it has always been an indoor cat, then leave it an indoor cat but put a secure fly screen on an open window and give her something to lay on...she will enjoy the wind lol
Latest post on 01 August 2011 - 09:34
my fat fluffy cat once jumped up onto my very narrow balcony ledge- after that i got him a kittywalk! kittywalk.com amazing Will they deliver in Dubai? thx
Latest post on 31 July 2011 - 23:56
My friend had a sort of run built for her cats out on the balcony that they could access from one of the doors. It wasn't massive, as her balcony was quite small but at least it was a way for her cats to get some outside time safely, it was wood and mesh and had a couple of shelves and stuff so the kitties could sit up high and look out over the world - she used Jumeirah Carpentry. Maybe a idea for you... Clarice, would it be possible to see a pic of what your friend got done. I have cats and will be moving to a balcony appt. My cats do like a little outdoor, to sniff the air and watch the birds. I'm petrified that they will fall to their deaths, or get maimed. While I do want them to go out, I want them safe, especially when I'm not going to be supervising each time. I've seen a balcony mesh on Animal Planet Cats 101, and it was super. No possibility of any injury to a cat. So, if possible could I see a pic of the balcony, and what kind of cost to expect? Many thanks
Latest post on 20 July 2011 - 22:26
Yesterday I was visiting a friend and there was a cat slopped near the stairs in her apartment block - seems that cat had fallen from a 4th floor balcony - the outcome for the little cat wasnt very good - shattered front legs and internal bleeding. Please secure your balcony, but in all fairness cats dont belong on balconies.
Latest post on 20 July 2011 - 17:50
http://habitathaven.com/ this is a by far better idea! I'm just doing this quickly but i have seen balconys done this way! do a search
Latest post on 14 July 2011 - 11:21
As an alternative I might try the Kitty Walk though! I think that would be the best idea if you were to let her out on the balcony. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my cats out on a balcony on the 32nd floor at all.
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 21:48
I hope someone can help - I am moving to a new apartment on the 32nd floor with my local black and white cat. In the place we're living at the moment there is no balcony so she has never been exposed to one and I am just wondering how best to introduce her to the balcony to make sure that she doesn't jump off! I am guessing I should keep her indoors for a few days so she at least gets used to her new home from the inside first, but then after that does anyone know if it would be safe to let her onto the balcony at all?! Maybe supervised visits only...? I don't want to get this wrong! Any advice much appreciated....thanks! i have 4 cats and a very lage balcony only on the 1st floor, when i let them out i have to manage to keep an eye on all the 4 of them... be carefull....cats at times dont really realize how high they are, its true they land on 4 legs but thats a bit too high for them...always keep an eye!!
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 21:43
Lala are you living in lala land!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe that you are considering letting you cat out on the balcony and especially beiing 32 floors up. Cats have instinct to jump up / down. There are so many incidents with cats being killed from balconies. The only safe way is to put mesh up and make sure its securely fixed.
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 16:23
Cats and balconies don't mix. I've worked in a couple of vet clinics here and unfortunately saw more than a few cats coming in that had fallen from balconies... as you can imagine many didn't make it :-( If you're really keen to let her out there you could look at having some sort of outdoor run built, or your balcony fenced in with mesh. My friend had a sort of run built for her cats out on the balcony that they could access from one of the doors. It wasn't massive, as her balcony was quite small but at least it was a way for her cats to get some outside time safely, it was wood and mesh and had a couple of shelves and stuff so the kitties could sit up high and look out over the world - she used Jumeirah Carpentry. Maybe a idea for you...
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 14:34
Thanks all for the advice - although the general consensus seems to be to not let her onto the balcony at all, which is what I was afraid of! Poor cat is so noisy all the time where we live at the moment, I'm sure it's because she wants to be outside. We just couldn't get a villa with a garden so I was kind of hoping that she'd enjoy the fresh air of the balcony instead....maybe I'll see how it goes with just keeping her inside to begin with then, seems that would be a safer option. Anyway the apartment is much bigger so she will have space to run around inside. As an alternative I might try the Kitty Walk though!
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 13:43
I live on the 1st floor with a very large balcony you could have a party for about 50 adults! My cat loves it I leave the sliding door open slightly so he can come in during the day if he wants to, but its in their nature to be curious he still lies underneath the railing to watch the world go by. Personnally, there is no way on earth I would let him out on a balcony any higher than I am now. I would never forgive myself if he fell off, and I would be on edge all the time!
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 13:14
my fat fluffy cat once jumped up onto my very narrow balcony ledge- after that i got him a kittywalk! kittywalk.com amazing
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 13:13
BellaUK, my description of your 'friend' would be a lot harsher than idiot! As others say, please take care and supervise your cat. My friend's cat jumped off her first floor balcony and was partly impaled on something in the neighbour's garden below. The neighbour next door had to scale a high wall into the garden (people in that house were out) to resuce the poor thing. She survived with no lasting effects but it was a close call and traumatic for all involved.
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 13:03
I wouldn't do it, if your cat has never had the chance to be on the balcony she doesn't know any different and will be just fine inside. I moved from ground floor where I used to let one of my cats out (otherwise she screamed the place down!) but kept the other two scaredy cats in, now I live on the 23rd floor and whilst she still screams the place down to be out, I just have to ignore it as she now assumes its safe to jump over and there will be ground on the otherside and I'm just sure she will jump. I really couldn't live with myself if she jumped as she is my baby, so I just have to keep her in, much to her dismay (and mine when I want to sleep!!) and will hopefully move to a villa in future. A friend (I use the term loosely) let his cat on the balcony of a tower and it jumped unknowingly to its death (a rescue cat previously had access to outdoors) however he found it funny and always refers to it as the 'flying kitty' which just naffs me off, idiot!
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 13:00
My cat jumped off the balcony and into the balcony below - was only on the first floor so no real harm could have come to her - but she was banned from the balcony from then onwards. I think it depends on the personality of the cat. There is no way that i would let her on a balcony unsupervised again.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 12:38
i had an amazing cat who was so brilliant and he never jumped off out balcony for 2 years, then, well we moved, and thinking it was safe, i let him out as i normally did, that was the last time i saw him alive (i think he slipped on the rail), please be cautious, and only allow your kitty out while supervised. losing a furry family member this way is really depressing, and very tramtic, one of the hardest losses i have ever had. if you can find netting or something that you can put up for protection that may be a good idea.i know its hard to keep your outdoor loving animals all cooked up indoors.
Latest post on 13 July 2011 - 12:33
hi, I have introduced 2 cats to a balcony and it is very easy. basically I let the cat know that it is not another spcae to run around, by closing the door at first when i go on, for about 2 days. once the cat sees that it is not a normal space, I allow him to come and sniff around. Just monitor to make sure he doesnt look like he wants to jump up, and remove anything he can hop onto and then onto the handrail. every time you go in off the balcony, you have to say 'come on then' and make sure he knows when you go in, he goes in. it should work. with a kitten when they are so jumpy and full of energy a more watchful eye is needed but a good routine will ensure that he doesnt wander out there. try and avoid too many toys out there too - so he sees it as a human space and not so much for playing. On the other hand I am sure others have suggestions for making it a cat safe balcony - in which case i would also be interested, as I would like to leave the balcony open sometimes!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY