Quick unwanted phone calls question | ExpatWoman.com

Quick unwanted phone calls question

Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 10:25

Yesterday my daughter kept receiving phone calls on her mobile from a number she doesn't know, where a man just keeps saying hello and asking who she is. She has stopped replying when she sees the number come up. The man called on our home phone this morning and I asked who he was and told him I was calling the police. So, is there a number I can call to complain about such calls, or was I just bluffing? Any help and advice gratefully received as it is freaking my daughter out. Thanks in advance.

Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 19:18
Simpleasabc I would be interested in any updates you have about this - I have been getting calls from a Saudi number asking for s3x and wondered whether I should report to Police or not. I also told him that next time he called I would go to the Police and that seems to have worked but it is very freaky. I blocked his number through my phone rather than Etisalat so instead of ringing it goes straight to voicemail when his number calls. This may be an option for your daughter too.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 17:55
Have you tried to call Du or Etisalat (which ever you are with) as they should be able to block certain numbers from calling you. I've tried them, but they say they can't block individual numbers. The police have his number now, anyway.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 17:27
Have you tried to call Du or Etisalat (which ever you are with) as they should be able to block certain numbers from calling you.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 17:22
Is changing both numbers an option for a quick solution? IF going to the police is not possible, I mean. I wondered about that, GattaMatta, but I should think it would be more complicated to do that than reporting to the police :) Al Ameen are on it and seem very quick dealing with things, thank you.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 17:18
Is changing both numbers an option for a quick solution? IF going to the police is not possible, I mean.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 17:11
Actually, BBCB, now I think about it, I'm not even sure that we put down her tel no at the hospital as mine is the only one we know by heart. Security guard. Hmm. Wouldn't be happy with that at all. Although they shouldn't have her moby no.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 17:03
I had the same thing ..I phoned al ameen - my creep would ring at 2am 3am 10pm stupid times so i assumed he was a security guy ..i gave them a full account and the guys telephone number - they rang the guy and asked him to go to jebal ali police station .. it all stopped .. My numbers came from business cards although the only person who would have your daughters mobile and home would be someone she has come into contact with dare I say the hospital ? .. report it all the same al ameen were fabulous , left a message and they rang me back after about 1 hour .. you can go and do a formal complaint at jebel ali police station though x
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 16:55
Dubaicat, thanks for the thought! I am waiting for someone to come and sit with her, but a bit worried by all the stories I've heard of people disappearing without trace when they've been to report something..
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 16:51
Have you had any calls since you threatened to call the police on him? Yes, on both lines, but we didn't answer the calls. Just worried for the reason Derien mentions.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 16:50
Where do you live? Perhaps someone can come and sit with your daughter while you go down to the police station. I can do tonight or tomorrow lunchtime :).
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 16:49
Have you had any calls since you threatened to call the police on him?
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 16:43
Update: Du can't help. Have written to Al Ameen including the number, so hope action will be taken. Police are only ones who can deal with this kind of thing, Du tells me.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 14:26
Apparently, if you bar one number, you bar them all, or that's what I understood from Du last night. You're right though, will try them again. Thanks. Also writing full details to Al Ameen so it's on record somewhere.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 14:19
In the meantime, can't you call your telephone operator and ask if they can block the number in question? Don't know if they can do this but it's worth a try?
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 12:08
I need to go to the Police Station to report in person. Daughter still ill and can't be left on her own. Aaaaaaaaghhhh (sorry, just venting).
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:54
Given recent events in our neighborhood I would definitely report anything that you feel is odd. If it were Du or Etisalat, they would introduce themselves. Report it for sure!
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:33
If the person was only calling her mobile, I wouldn't be so worried. But the fact that they know your home number worries me. I would keep calling the police
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:31
But we've been here a year and yesterday was the first time this happened. Have been holding to report to the police for 30 mins now. Should I give up and start again, or just stay patient?
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:28
Its probably a recycled number .. they do that a lot here .. It probably belonged to somone a few years ago and now Du / Etisalat have given that number to you. <em>edited by mushypeas on 17/10/2011</em>
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:15
We're bewildered as the only form filling in we've done recently has been at doctors and hospital. She's v careful about giving out her number to people. Still holding for the police..
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:12
It sounds like someone working for Du or Etisalat as they seem to know both numbers. Have you asked your DD whether she has given her numbers out to anyone or maybe written both down on a form recently? Might help to norrow down. I do think you should get the police inlvolved ASAP.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 11:01
If he rings again does she have a Male around who can come on the phone. This may dissuade him if all else fails? That's the plan for later today but not poss at the moment. Al Ameen have called back and given me the number of a police station to call. Unfortunately, no reply yet..
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 10:58
If he rings again does she have a Male around who can come on the phone. This may dissuade him if all else fails?
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 10:54
OK, I've called the Al Ameen number and asked them to call me back. Anyone know how long they take? With my one experience with them they called back within the hour.
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 10:52
OK, I've called the Al Ameen number and asked them to call me back. Anyone know how long they take?
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 10:51
I would call alameen, they can advise you if further action is required. [url=http://www.alameen.ae/en/default.aspx'>link[/url'> 800 4 888
Latest post on 17 October 2011 - 10:37
Hi Simpleasabc, from my personal experience these calls dont mean anything except these guys are really bored and have so much time on their hands. But the fact that he knows both her mobile number as well as your landline could indicate that this particular caller means trouble. I.m sorry I dont have a number you can call to report it I hope the other ladies can help. I hope this is just another one of bored callers and he will give up soon.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY