Can I still rent a car? | ExpatWoman.com

Can I still rent a car?

Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 19:44

Hi all,

I am in the middle of getting my residency visa - my passport and completed visa should be returned to me by next Wednesday. I was hoping on renting a car for the Eid break and driving to Oman. Since I don't think I will have time to get the Emirates drivers license that Thursday, will I still be able to use my USA drivers license with international driving license for renting a car at that point (Seeing as my passport will not have a tourist visa stamp but a residency permit).

TIA!

Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 21:37
You can get your drivers licence in Dubai, even with an AD visa. Just get an NOC from your employer and a copy of your tenancy contract and you'll be able to do it, x
Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 20:28
You can rent a car with the correct license and drive to Oman though, you just have to tell the hire car company as you need to show the insurance papers at the border!
Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 20:26
The simple answer is no! You will not be able to and should the police discover you are driving a car without a UAE license you will be sent to court and be fined! Sorry been there done that! It can take you about 10 mins to get a UAE license
Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 20:09
Thanks babyrat, I will remember that Hertz does this.
Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 20:08
I know that technically you are supposed to have the Emirates license once you receive residency, but I was asking this question as I am sure other people have been in this in-between situation? (You can't automatically get your Emirates license the minute you get your residency visa, so what do people do to drive in the meantime??) I'm hoping there is a solution? Do other ladies know? And, isn't there some companies that will rent a car out providing you also buy special insurance for Oman? My friend just did this with a long-term rental, is it not possible with short-term rentals??
Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 20:06
Car Rentals like Hertz will let you take the car to Oman but you have to specify this to them at the time. Not sure about the driving license situation though as DH had a UAE driving license at the time.
Latest post on 23 October 2011 - 20:02
Actually you cant drive with your international driving license and resident visa of UAE. Additionally the most of the car rental companies will not allow you to take the car outside of UAE.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY