Relocating overseas - should I take my washing machine? | ExpatWoman.com

Relocating overseas - should I take my washing machine?

Latest post on 08 November 2011 - 18:53
When we shipped our items over the removalist company placed several large bags of silicon inside the container to take care of mould etc. The only concern I would have about taking your machine with you is making sure it is a brand that is known and serviceable in the country you are moving to.
Latest post on 08 November 2011 - 16:44
Just make sure the rubber is completely dry and maybe wipe it down with something like ammonia just to kill all the last germs. Remove the soap tray and clean it out completely and maybe do a very hot empty wash load as well before you clean and dry it. I am sure the removal company will have something they can use to block the drum and can advise you on how best to pack it. If the move is being paid for then I would definitely bring over your washing machine. I am quite attached to mine and I will take it if and when we move again.
Latest post on 08 November 2011 - 15:16
Would putting fresh lemons inside the drum help!!!! Don't think they'd be very fresh after 8 weeks sealed up in a container - not to mention a breach of Australian quarantine rules!!
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 21:00
We are taking our washing machine back to oz too. In fact in 5 weeks time!!!!!
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 21:00
We took our washing m/c from UK to Dubai in the container. The removals people put a packet of dessicant inside and I had to order transport bolts from Bosch specifically. It worked fine when it arrived, we've since got rid of it though as we've now moved to an apartment with an integrated washing m/c...Baumatic - not as good.
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 20:53
Would putting fresh lemons inside the drum help!!!!
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 18:55
Why bother? Flog it on dubizzle!
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 15:05
I read about the fixing screws too. The installers took everything with them when they unpacked of course. I contacted Samsung to ask where I could get a new one but they were worse than useless! I'm waiting to hear from the removalists whether they have anything. Surely, I'm not the first of their clients to move a washing machine!
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 14:55
You'd need to ship it with the door open to prevent it moulding up inside and also make sure the drawer is really clean. Also when moving washing machines aren't you supposed to 'fix' the drum in a frontloader as if you don't it can end up warped? I vaguely remember being advised to keep the fixing thingummys they arrive with when new, but never have. I think filling it with towels or similar would do it though.
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 14:46
Thanks. Do you know if you need to do anything to stop mildew? I stored a friends washing machine here for a couple of months and when we opened it up all the rubber seals had gone completely black.
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 14:45
My parents shipped our old washing machine from SA to UK, no problems. If that helps, I wouldn't bother personally, unless it is really expensive or really good!
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 14:44
We bought our top loader over with us from NZ, absolutely no problem at all. One thing...we did have to get a man to come in and do something with the hose pipe when we installed it here, something to do with how it drained (or didnt drain) because it was on the other side of the world :) It was as simple as changing it's center of gravity.
Latest post on 24 October 2011 - 14:35
I'm wondering if anyone has experience of shipping a front loading washing machine overseas. We are about to head out of Dubai and my DH wants to take the washing machine with us but I am worried that it will get damaged or develop mould/mildew in the course of getting it to Australia. Does anyone have any stories of transporting a washing machine - good or bad? Thanks Nik

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY