AAAAAAAAGH - Flights North of the Border | ExpatWoman.com

AAAAAAAAGH - Flights North of the Border

Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 09:49

I'm seriously getting annoyed. Why is it that there are hardly any carriers do direct flights to Glasgow or Edinburgh - and the one that does is extortionate!! Have got 2 weddings to go to next year, one family and one very good long term friend - think one of them will have to bite the dust!!!

Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 16:00
I can beat that Bella! We start flights from Uk as it's usually cheaper, looking to fly Newcastle to Dubai 27th Dec, we have to be back then as DD is flying in from South Africa that day and wants somewhere to sleep. Emirates are currently showing £1113+ to fly that day and return Sep 2012. Daylight robbery!
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 12:53
Emirates are shocking! I am paying 925 pounds to go home for FIVE DAYS at Christmas! I would usually fly BA and/or KLM as their connections and flight times are just as good, but I couldn't get my holidays approved in time to take advantage of the super cheap (for here anyway!) flight prices they have early on. So it was actually not that much different from BA or KLM and at least with Emirates, because I am going home such a short time I am going direct and not losing time messing around with connections etc. My problem is I fly to Newcastle. Etihad were significantly cheaper to Manchester but it means a 3hour train and leaving night before and getting a hotel to make the morning flight going back, so not much saving, plus I am wasting time I could have with my family. Loathed to pay it but no choice this time, next year I will be more on the ball!!
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 12:18
We always used KLM while we were in Doha. Flight to Amsterdam, a short break then to Edinburgh. Much cheaper than Emirates or Qatar Air (and better service imo)
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 11:41
Emirates are expensive, but i dont know any other carriers that fly direct? I fly KLM via Amsterdam. I've just looked at KLM and not bad, connection times are quite good and no hanging about the airport for too long.
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 11:33
Emirates are expensive, but i dont know any other carriers that fly direct? I fly KLM via Amsterdam.
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 11:21
I'm from just outside Glasgow and I know Emirates fly direct but it is so expensive compared to other carriers as well as their own flights to London. C'mon Air Scotia, give EK some competition!!
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 10:30
Luckily I am nearer the Midlands, which means I can fly BA, which works out loads cheaper and catch the bus up to Northamptonshire!
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 10:25
Gatwick is normally on the cash plus miles offers if you can wait that long to book and then go easy jet to EDI or GLA. If then try Heathrow as many carriers serve this route and prices are kept down.
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 10:23
Christmas with Emirates to Manchester is ridiculous.. Almost 900GBP! I am doing Virgin to London then BMI which still works out of 100 quid cheaper. I do like Emirates but their prices are ridiculously over the top and the service i got on the airbus in the Summer was appalling...
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 10:20
It is just as expensive to fly THEM to Manchester, cost us over GBP 1,000 in April to go home for 3 days!
Latest post on 25 October 2011 - 10:12
Emirates fly direct into Glasgow from Dubai BA, BMI and flybe do cheap flights from all major airports into GLA or EDI. KLM fly into EDI via Amsterdam, with a 1 hour turnaround. I fly these routes all the time and there is lots of choice. Check Skyscanner for more routes.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY