Why do parents think it is okay to leave their baby/babies alone in car? | ExpatWoman.com

Why do parents think it is okay to leave their baby/babies alone in car?

Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 14:23
One of the other mother's in my kids daycare when I lived in Scandinavia had a scary experience - she left her sleeping babies in the car to - literally - dash over the road to post a letter in a mail box opposite a car park - while she was on her way she was run over on the zebra crossing by a car - breaking both legs and knocking her unconscious - the ambulance was called and she was dashed to hospital - but nobody had any idea that she had been driving or that there were 2 babies in the car - it was first when she came round at the hospital and she asked about her kids that they realised and managed to get in touch with police and relatives to get the babies out of the car - they were a little cold but luckily OK given that they had been left alone in the snow for a couple of hours Not that I think that its EVER ok to leave a child unattended, whether it be in the car or elsewhere, but IMO the children were lucky in this case, and avoided a very serious accident, thank God. That's the point of the story isn't it? Had this happened in just about any other climate, the ending would have been tragic. I feel sick just thinking about the panic those little ones went through, left on their own...and the poor Mum when she came too and realised her children were in danger. Just so awful.
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 14:20
One of the other mother's in my kids daycare when I lived in Scandinavia had a scary experience - she left her sleeping babies in the car to - literally - dash over the road to post a letter in a mail box opposite a car park - while she was on her way she was run over on the zebra crossing by a car - breaking both legs and knocking her unconscious - the ambulance was called and she was dashed to hospital - but nobody had any idea that she had been driving or that there were 2 babies in the car - it was first when she came round at the hospital and she asked about her kids that they realised and managed to get in touch with police and relatives to get the babies out of the car - they were a little cold but luckily OK given that they had been left alone in the snow for a couple of hours Not that I think that its EVER ok to leave a child unattended, whether it be in the car or elsewhere, but IMO the children were lucky in this case, and avoided a very serious accident, thank God.
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 14:01
One of the other mother's in my kids daycare when I lived in Scandinavia had a scary experience - she left her sleeping babies in the car to - literally - dash over the road to post a letter in a mail box opposite a car park - while she was on her way she was run over on the zebra crossing by a car - breaking both legs and knocking her unconscious - the ambulance was called and she was dashed to hospital - but nobody had any idea that she had been driving or that there were 2 babies in the car - it was first when she came round at the hospital and she asked about her kids that they realised and managed to get in touch with police and relatives to get the babies out of the car - they were a little cold but luckily OK given that they had been left alone in the snow for a couple of hours Speechless. Thank God they were ok. <em>edited by Green-ish on 02/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 13:42
One of the other mother's in my kids daycare when I lived in Scandinavia had a scary experience - she left her sleeping babies in the car to - literally - dash over the road to post a letter in a mail box opposite a car park - while she was on her way she was run over on the zebra crossing by a car - breaking both legs and knocking her unconscious - the ambulance was called and she was dashed to hospital - but nobody had any idea that she had been driving or that there were 2 babies in the car - it was first when she came round at the hospital and she asked about her kids that they realised and managed to get in touch with police and relatives to get the babies out of the car - they were a little cold but luckily OK given that they had been left alone in the snow for a couple of hours
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 13:14
umm - roast toddler!!!!
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 13:08
I always wonder if that parent would leave a 100,000 dollars in the car unattended!!! -I bet they wouldn't dare to!!
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 13:05
i recently went through driving school and was told to not ever leave kids in the car cos dubai hot weather can affect kids even if its for about 20 min that you wish to leave ur car. well, yes - in a closed car with no A/C in Dubai heat, your child would probably be dead within 20 minutes. BUT there's the other side of it, which is basically that your child is left alone so could well panic at being "abandoned" (their sense of time isn't all that, so "5 minutes" feels like an eternity). If you wouldn't leave your baby alone in your house "for 5 minutes" then why on earth should you do so in the car?
Latest post on 02 November 2011 - 12:51
i recently went through driving school and was told to not ever leave kids in the car cos dubai hot weather can affect kids even if its for about 20 min that you wish to leave ur car.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 13:09
went to a party at the weekend in one of the malls and the parents of this one little boy (3/4 years old) just left him while they went off doing goodness knows what... he spent most of the 3 hours wandering around asking other parents where his mummy was and/or in tears. Awwww, bless him. Who ever leaves a young child alone needs there head testing!!!!!
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:56
went to a party at the weekend in one of the malls and the parents of this one little boy (3/4 years old) just left him while they went off doing goodness knows what... he spent most of the 3 hours wandering around asking other parents where his mummy was and/or in tears.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:52
OMG! just reading the subject makes me feel sick. When DD was between 1 to 4 weeks and all she did that time was sleep and sleep; it was very tempting for me to go to the supermarket as there is a shop just beside our building where our flat is. But I told myself fire, earthquakes, etc happens at the time when you least expect it to happen. And even if we have a driver I never dare leaving DD in the car to do a quick shopping.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:43
I personally don't understand why people feel it is okay in any country. Most people don't have the option of having a maid so that does not justify it. I wasn't saying it justifies it, nor passing judgement on whether it's right or wrong. Your original post inferred that it was a Dubai thing, I'm just pointing out that it happens elsewhere. yes it does happen outside of dubai.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:41
I personally don't understand why people feel it is okay in any country. Most people don't have the option of having a maid so that does not justify it. I wasn't saying it justifies it, nor passing judgement on whether it's right or wrong. Your original post inferred that it was a Dubai thing, I'm just pointing out that it happens elsewhere.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:24
I personally don't understand why people feel it is okay in any country. Most people don't have the option of having a maid so that does not justify it. what would happen if a car crashed into the back of it which we know is much more likely here, what would happen if the car ran out of fuel or the ac turned off the baby would bake, even if you were not intending to be a long time you see it happen in the news!
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:23
I don't think you can blame it on being a Dubai thing. Plenty of people in my home town (in NZ) leave their sleeping baby in the car while they do a quick pick up/drop off. In fact, probably more people than here as people don't have the option of leaving the baby at home with the maid. sorry u take the child with you even if asleep thats what car seats are great for now you can just plug them into the pram, in the past you would actually have to lift the child out of the car and into the pram!
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:23
I personally don't understand why people feel it is okay in any country. Most people don't have the option of having a maid so that does not justify it.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:22
I witness this often at my DD school. They seem to think it is perfectly fine to leave car running and leave their children in car unattended. This is done at the back of the school so no security are there and they park close to the gate which makes it unsafe for other children/parents/carers entering and leaving. I simply don't understand it, they admit that they wouldn't do it in their home countries so why do it here? all too easy to be kidnapped then what would they think?
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 12:10
I don't think you can blame it on being a Dubai thing. Plenty of people in my home town (in NZ) leave their sleeping baby in the car while they do a quick pick up/drop off. In fact, probably more people than here as people don't have the option of leaving the baby at home with the maid.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 11:56
Petrol is cheap.. :\: Sorry that was a cheap joke! It's the same parents who allow their kids to walk around without looking after them. I was having lunch with a friend and our kids at Dubai Mall, outside. A kid, unaccompanied, walked out of the restaurants (he had to open 2 doors) and headed for the fountains. I got up and told the waiter to go after him. THREE minutes after the kid first walked out the door, the father comes out looking for his son. Really? It took him that long to figure out that his 3-4 year old was no longer sitting next to him? [url=http://smileyjungle.com'>[img'>http://smileyjungle.com/smilies/confused12.gif[/img'>[/url'>
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 11:52
Because too often passing the practical test is enough to become parents.
Latest post on 01 November 2011 - 11:42
I witness this often at my DD school. They seem to think it is perfectly fine to leave car running and leave their children in car unattended. This is done at the back of the school so no security are there and they park close to the gate which makes it unsafe for other children/parents/carers entering and leaving. I simply don't understand it, they admit that they wouldn't do it in their home countries so why do it here?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY