Stupi question, sorry. | ExpatWoman.com

Stupi question, sorry.

Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 09:21

We live in Meadows and have a water heater for each bathroom and the kitchen. If we leave it on for a long time, say overnight to have a hot shower in the morning, does it cost more than if we got up early and put it on for the 20 minutes or so it takes to heat up? I'm not sure, but I thought that once a water tank was heated fully, the heater stopped working, but husbad is very strict about turning the heater on and off all the time. He's an engineer, so I suppose he knows what he's talking about..

Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 15:32
Mine exploded last spring in the bathroom. Since it is situated just above the toilet, I am very happy I wasn't sitting there at the time. Was pouring out boiling water and creating quite a swampy sauna. Landlord had to roll up his pantlegs and wade in to turn off the water supply :-O Yes I have heard of a few cases of this so it's something to be careful of for those that do leave it switched on constantly.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 18:48
Mine exploded last spring in the bathroom. Since it is situated just above the toilet, I am very happy I wasn't sitting there at the time. Was pouring out boiling water and creating quite a swampy sauna. Landlord had to roll up his pantlegs and wade in to turn off the water supply :-O
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 18:15
Yes just a bit!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 09:07
Know what you mean. I remember back in the UK hearing of burst tanks from faulty thermostats, some in attics above bed rooms with people sleeping directly underneath! ouch!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 08:12
Know what you mean. I remember back in the UK hearing of burst tanks from faulty thermostats, some in attics above bed rooms with people sleeping directly underneath!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 00:43
mine takes all day to heat up so not an option for me, as the first thing I do when getting home is usually shower>food>bed in that order!!! though friends of mine said they've had problems from leaving the heater on all the time (one had a tank burst, luckily was home) but not sure what to do as I always travel... if I leave it off for a week it'll take a day at least to heat up again... wish they had timers on these things!!! :(
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 17:04
The Energy Saving Trust states that it costs more to leave your heating on all the time than to switch it on when you need it!;) I just read this on their site, but I guess it depends on WHAT system you have? They refer to a dual system... I have just emailed DEWA to ask - let's see what they say.
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 16:30
The Energy Saving Trust states that it costs more to leave your heating on all the time than to switch it on when you need it!;)
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 12:58
I often wondered about this too. Surely there are different types and ages of water heater that have better or worse thermostats. I personally would not trust mine! Also, when I have a bath, I empty the tank. Do I heat it up again immediately to be hot for the next time, or wait until I need it? Unless you use small but frequent amounts of hot water, like in the kitchen, it must be more economical to let the tank sit at room (or roof) temperature.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 12:24
I just smsd my plumber and he called me back. He says it is more economical to keep the heater on because you have to heat up the whole tank each time otherwise. The thermometer will regulate it once the desired temperature has been reached and it will cut off. Our main bathroom has an 80 liter tank, so he said it can take up to 1-2hrs to heat each night at full power. So leave it on to be economical. Hope this helps... off to turn my heaters on for a nice warm shower tonight! Last night I fell asleep while waiting and ended up having a shower at 3am!
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 12:12
so in other words we're potentially d*amned whichever way - we never used to leave ours on at our last villa, and we had 3 go in the space of a week just before my parents came to stay - always in the middle of the night too! OVer a year we had 8 water tanks die on us! Fortunately cold water though in all bar one case. I'm going to find out when they were last replaced in our current villa I think as they tend to last about 5 years I've heard...
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 11:46
we have had this debate at home as well - we are now opting for on for a bit, as we used to leave them on, until one exploded!! what can happen is that the thermostat breaks, the tank keeps heating so that the water turns to steam, causing an explosion in the pipes!! got the shock of our lives one friday afternoon when this happened!!! so since then have gone for the switch it on for a bit approach.....
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:40
We live in Meadows and have a water heater for each bathroom and the kitchen. If we leave it on for a long time, say overnight to have a hot shower in the morning, does it cost more than if we got up early and put it on for the 20 minutes or so it takes to heat up? I'm not sure, but I thought that once a water tank was heated fully, the heater stopped working, but husbad is very strict about turning the heater on and off all the time. He's an engineer, so I suppose he knows what he's talking about.. he's a bloke ..LOL .. and he says that because he can and we dont have the knowledge to correct them .... we leave all of ours on as its costs more to keep reheating the whole tank IMOA .. there are thermostats that regulate the temperature in the tank IMOA ...thats what I/we were told .. from another bloke .. my dad who knows everything .... apparently ...according to my DH .. who thinks his dad knows better ...LOL
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:12
Once the water is heated up, it takes less electricity to maintain the temp than heating the whole tank from scratch, so it's better to leave on all the time . We tested last year and decided leaving them on was cheaper, also less stress on the tank as there is less expansion and contraction (so I was told!). good point re expansion / contraction - we had so many water heaters go in our last villa! Will try this route I think.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:11
The thermostat cuts the heater in and out constantly according to the temperature of the water.;)
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:08
I think most have a cut off switch as well so if its hot it automatically stops ( thats what my plumber said ) and he recommended leaving it on all the time as well. !
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:07
Once the water is heated up, it takes less electricity to maintain the temp than heating the whole tank from scratch, so it's better to leave on all the time . We tested last year and decided leaving them on was cheaper, also less stress on the tank as there is less expansion and contraction (so I was told!).
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:05
Once the water is heated up, it takes less electricity to maintain the temp than heating the whole tank from scratch, so it's better to leave on all the time .
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 09:52
We keep ours off - DH puts ours on in the morning when he gets up and it takes about 20 minutes to heat up - enough for a shave, shower for him and then later for me. DDs leave theirs on overnight as they get up and hop straight in the shower. The kitchen heater I have on more, but it's boiling hot - need to work out how to turn the temp down - a ladder and my head up in the roof space I guess! I just wish they had TIMERS on them - life would be so much simpler! Same with A/C - decent timers - not one you simply set to go off in x no. of hours! No idea which is the best method - why not try one way one month and the next month the other way and compare DEWA bills - but I guess that depends hugely on whether DEWA get it right too!
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 09:41
We leave ours on all the time, then it just comes on and off to maintain the temperature. More cost effective than heating an entire tank everytime.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY