24 hours in London - advice please | ExpatWoman.com

24 hours in London - advice please

Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 17:18
Take a look at www.londonducktours.co.uk It is a tour around the sights of London in an amphibious vehicle and it then goes onto the Thames. I did it with my kids when they were younger and they loved it.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 17:05
I would also recommend to stay in South Kensington. When you arrive at Heathrow you jump on the Tube (I'm sure your DS will love that). There are lots of hotels along Cromwell Road (nearest tube is Gloucester Road) and then you could walk to the museum from there. Natural History will def take you the rest of the afternoon or you could spend the whole of the next day there instead. If you want to see the sights the best way in such a short time is def the Big Bus tour. For eating with you LO I would recommand Pizza Express or the Giraffe (there is one on Ken High St) and both have website with their locations HTH
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 16:57
Thanks all, great ideas and food for thought.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 15:57
Would def go with the Big Bus tour, they have the hop on hop off option and u may be able to get a ticket for 2 days. That way you can use it as your transport. It will def drop off by the Rain Forest cafe as its a stones throw from Piccadilly circus so early food then hop back on. Hotel maybe opt for one near to Victoria, then if u check out you can leave luggage there and then pick it up and jump on Gatwick Express train. Think that takes 30 mins or so and would run every 15 mins. Victoria is on district line tube same as S Ken for Museums. You would need to plan in advance what you want to see and look at museum map as they are vast. You could lose a day in each. Altho Big bus must go to Knightsbridhe so you can jump off there too and walk...Warning tho its Olympics so if July/Aug it will all be busy. Be warned there is the 3 hour time diff so you may be worn out on arrival-assuming you are arriving from here-so 7pm is 10pm Dub time and then next day you will be up early..
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 15:37
Second staying in south ken area as good for GW connections and near museums. To be honest, Nat Hist Museum and Science Mus will take you all day. He will love both but my DS fave is Nat Hist. Will try and think about eating out - china town good but not near. Child friendly Boxwood Cafe nearby.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:43
Science Museum is just next door and it is free to visit. I love the Imax cinema (you have to pay for this one) where they show educational stuff about oceans, sealife, birds etc. The shows are not too long, 30-40mins. You can find the timings on their website. I think if you stay around South Kensington you can walk to all these places, also walk to Hyde park. It will be only 2 stops from Victoria station where you get your Gatwick Express.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:37
http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/ http://www.theoriginaltour.com/ Have a look at the links. Doing a tour is the best way to take in all the sights and they make it really fun for children.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:30
and keep forgetting to say it will be summer so no wintery things Carry on........ :D lol - that's a whole different ball game then! It's not a lot of time to be honest, and I guess you'll be knackered from the flight as well. Buckingham Palace, London Zoo, the museum with the dinosaurs - can't remember which one that is - Natural History I think, London Eye. A friend was there with her grandson recently - and all he wanted to do was feed the ducks in Hyde Park! DH took DDs on the Big Bus Tour when they were little - he did a Daddy's Day in London with each of them - and told them he wasn't paying full fare as he wasn't a tourist - just up for the day with DD as a treat - and he got a discount! <em>edited by october on 15/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:24
If you could just plan the whole itinerary that would be great.... :D I have no idea what is in what part of London... Start with - arrive LHR 1pm
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:23
a huge NO to Hamleys (It will probably be the only time he'll ever be in London til he's grown up and allowed to leave home LOL so I want to do museums/National History/Transport etc) and keep forgetting to say it will be summer so no wintery things :D Carry on........ :D
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:22
http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/ I would really try to go to Winter wonderland in Hyde Park its really lovely for children of all ages and Adults.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:18
what about Hamleys - am sure a 5 year old could kill an awful lot of time there (and money lol)
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 14:12
Change of plan, we'll probably be arriving in LHR at lunchtime one day and leaving from LGW the next evening at 6pm - so we have about 30 hours and suggestions of which area to stay in would be great...ta
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 11:21
http://airport-hotels.gatwickairport.com/ sofitel ... I can recommend as we have stayed .. (but the Hilton is there also at LGW depends on which terminal your flying from ) - Its quiet ! seriously .. we were very worried as we had a long flight but its just the best location and the rates are much better than staying in the city !
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 11:18
http://www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/adirections.asp Shaftesbury avenue .. Really easy to get to x
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 11:15
http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/ santa's reindeers are in town before they get packing ..... Thats Got to be fab for a five year old !
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 11:12
There are plenty of ways of getting from Gatwick to London. Gatwick Express Gatwick Express non-stop train service to Victoria runs every 15 minutes with a journey time of 30 minutes. Book Gatwick Express Southern Trains Southern trains services to Victoria via East Croydon and Clapham Junction run four times an hour with a journey time of around 35 minutes. Book Southern Trains First Capital Connect Services to London Bridge and St Pancras International run four times an hour with a journey time of between 30 and 45 minutes. Book First Capital Connect easyBus A low-cost frequent airport transfer service non-stop from London and Gatwick with prices from £2. Buses depart every 15 minutes at peak times and run throughout the day and night from both North and South terminals to Earls Court/West Brompton in central London. easyBus runs seven days a week except Christmas Day and can be used by any airline passenger. Book online with easyBus National Express Direct coach service to London Victoria operates once an hour with a journey time of around 85 minutes. Book National Express Taxi Journey times and costs vary depending on your destination, but take around 65 minutes to central London. Airport Cars Gatwick - Telephone: 44 (0) 1293 567700 By car Journey times vary depending on your final destination, but take around 65 minutes to central London.
Latest post on 15 November 2011 - 10:58
Hi, As the title says :) I’d like to go to the Natural History museum with DS (5) – which other museums etc would be good for his age. Where to eat at night (Rainforest Café etc?) And which area to stay that would be good for all of this and also LGW connections for the next day – thanks!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY