Overheard at Fast Food Joint Part III | ExpatWoman.com

Overheard at Fast Food Joint Part III

Latest post on 20 November 2011 - 16:55

2nd thread seems to be closed?

- hello i'd like to order XYZ
- ok you need to send an email.
- please give me email address (Take down email address)

**8 hours pass - no reply**

- hello I called in the morning to place an order but you told me I had to send an email, I've done that, but no response.
- did you call me back to say you had sent an email?
- errrr, No...am I supposed to?
- well I don't know I have an email until you call me back to tell me..
- (???) - well I assumed you may think you have one seeing as how i'd asked for the email address???!

????? GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 10:00
or maybe they're just not confident in their English..i don't know where you all shop but i have never not had polite staff here and everyone smiles and says good morning ma'm etc... on the other hand, the way i see some customers behave makes me just want to slap them !! lol Good pointing that out. That's another story and there's many of them, really! Sometimes, when I am really furious, I go out of my way and speak out for those poor cashiers being maltreated by some customers. Very true...in my unemployed days when I would ocassionally frequent Carrefour at MoE in the morning, I would often get shocked by the way some "ladies" were treating both their kids and their maids, absolutely terrible behaviour. About the "thank you's" etc, I do dislike it when there is no acknowledgement but I also realize that to a large extent, as was previously mentioned, there are cultural reasons with regard to many subcontinent areas. Of course it depends on educational level, experience, training, and so forth, but I've learned never to expect a man from one specific country to open a door for me or to let me in or out of the elevator first, or to not cut me off when I'm walking through a door. It's just one of the unpleasant things one might experience living in Dubai.
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 11:59
or maybe they're just not confident in their English..i don't know where you all shop but i have never not had polite staff here and everyone smiles and says good morning ma'm etc... on the other hand, the way i see some customers behave makes me just want to slap them !! lol Good pointing that out. That's another story and there's many of them, really! Sometimes, when I am really furious, I go out of my way and speak out for those poor cashiers being maltreated by some customers.
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 09:15
or maybe they're just not confident in their English..i don't know where you all shop but i have never not had polite staff here and everyone smiles and says good morning ma'm etc... on the other hand, the way i see some customers behave makes me just want to slap them !! lol LIKE
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 09:14
or maybe they're just not confident in their English..i don't know where you all shop but i have never not had polite staff here and everyone smiles and says good morning ma'm etc... on the other hand, the way i see some customers behave makes me just want to slap them !! lol Depends on the stores. Places like New Look, Forever , Banana Republic and similar outlets have very nice staff in general. I think its more often in the hypermarkets and stores like Lulu where staff dont greet. Good thing is i have noticed staff greeting has become much more common over the last 5 years. we find the staff in lulu's are lovely and always chat to my little one..
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 08:49
or maybe they're just not confident in their English..i don't know where you all shop but i have never not had polite staff here and everyone smiles and says good morning ma'm etc... on the other hand, the way i see some customers behave makes me just want to slap them !! lol Depends on the stores. Places like New Look, Forever , Banana Republic and similar outlets have very nice staff in general. I think its more often in the hypermarkets and stores like Lulu where staff dont greet. Good thing is i have noticed staff greeting has become much more common over the last 5 years.
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 08:19
or maybe they're just not confident in their English..i don't know where you all shop but i have never not had polite staff here and everyone smiles and says good morning ma'm etc... on the other hand, the way i see some customers behave makes me just want to slap them !! lol
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 08:02
I also know for a fact that the big companies score their employees on being polite, making conversation, stating amount owed etc so there's no excuse that "the staff don't feel like talking" or "it's a cultural thing". Companies and staff know what's expected and what's acceptable and I think some invest time and money in customer service and some don't. <em>edited by Rebecca W on 23/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 06:03
...or when you call a business and you get answered with a brusque "Hello?" and you have to ask if that's x,y and z business. It also annoys me when they do say the business name but mumble it into their chest and you still have to ask if that's x,y and z business.
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 00:27
Which company is this?? Seriously, the customer service level in this country is unbelievable! I honestly fail to be surprised any more here! I have found I can buy groceries from Choithram in the Greens without most staff speaking a single word to me! (don't go there any more!) Er... Maybe the staff aren't in the mood to talk? I usually go through my carrefour/lulu transactions without convos, either! It's called Customer Service and it means I and others don't come to your store any more! It's not even just customer service, it's called general manners.
Latest post on 23 November 2011 - 00:25
I also feel it's rude to not even even talk and just point at the numbers on that small black screen. It's like someone introducing you to a stranger and the other person doesn't make any eye contact or say anything. In my culture it is rude and I know it's not the same for every culture, but at least those supermarkets should train their staff not be stereotyped as rude by any culture. Another perfect example of this are some receptionists here. When you ask for someone, once they hear the name, they will just transfer you (not all of them, but some do). So you just hear a tune while your call is transferred. So you say "hi, can i speak to mr. xxxx"... then goes the tune. Okay, granted, i don't call people to hear a nice "Okay, please hold on".. I call them because i want to get be transferred.. but is it not right for me to feel that that is rude??
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 22:44
They do not answer when you speak, tell you the amount owed etc and I think it's really rude and have noticed people commenting on it. Some of the staff speak on occasion.
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 17:01
Which company is this?? Seriously, the customer service level in this country is unbelievable! I honestly fail to be surprised any more here! I have found I can buy groceries from Choithram in the Greens without most staff speaking a single word to me! (don't go there any more!) Er... Maybe the staff aren't in the mood to talk? I usually go through my carrefour/lulu transactions without convos, either! It's called Customer Service and it means I and others don't come to your store any more! I don't understand this..you don't shop at a store because the staff don't chat/acknowledge you? Or are you saying that when you ask them questions about the products on sale, they don't answer?
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 16:42
Which company is this?? Seriously, the customer service level in this country is unbelievable! I honestly fail to be surprised any more here! I have found I can buy groceries from Choithram in the Greens without most staff speaking a single word to me! (don't go there any more!) Er... Maybe the staff aren't in the mood to talk? I usually go through my carrefour/lulu transactions without convos, either! It's called Customer Service and it means I and others don't come to your store any more!
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 15:36
She knows that!!!!!! So she started a new one!!! :D
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 15:34
I know that, that's why I started a new one. *wondering if this is a parallel universe* Admin close a thread when they don't want any more posts on the subject but accept that some members would prefer that the thread isn't deleted...
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:55
I don't think there is an equivalent of " you're welcome" in the subcontinent. The most if is a smile/nod if your a regular/fav customer and even then, if you're a guy. Most men from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan,etc are taught to not engage in eye contact with women. I would think that in this region it is in their best interest to maintain that detachment. I get very surprised/shocked reactions from educated men from the region when I hold my hand out for a handshake! So I don't expect a reaction when I say Thank you. Can someone fill me in as to why we are talking about the non-existant "you're welcomes"? On my post about the tip, I just said I never got a "thank you" - either someone deleted a post or I'm going koo-koo - (or both, actually.. [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php'>[img'>http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif[/img'>[/url'>...LOL) LOl..I'm just talking about the reason for the general lack of reaction/gratitude...no thank yous, no smiles, no nods from all the taxi drivers, the counter staff, the staff at supermarkets,etc. For all you know,they could just be considering your tip as payment for service rendered - so no need for thank yous? Makes total sense to me now. Thanks.
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:53
I don't think there is an equivalent of " you're welcome" in the subcontinent. The most if is a smile/nod if your a regular/fav customer and even then, if you're a guy. Most men from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan,etc are taught to not engage in eye contact with women. I would think that in this region it is in their best interest to maintain that detachment. I get very surprised/shocked reactions from educated men from the region when I hold my hand out for a handshake! So I don't expect a reaction when I say Thank you. Can someone fill me in as to why we are talking about the non-existant "you're welcomes"? On my post about the tip, I just said I never got a "thank you" - either someone deleted a post or I'm going koo-koo - (or both, actually.. [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php'>[img'>http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif[/img'>[/url'>...LOL) LOl..I'm just talking about the reason for the general lack of reaction/gratitude...no thank yous, no smiles, no nods from all the taxi drivers, the counter staff, the staff at supermarkets,etc. For all you know,they could just be considering your tip as payment for service rendered - so no need for thank yous?
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:49
I don't think there is an equivalent of " you're welcome" in the subcontinent. The most if is a smile/nod if your a regular/fav customer and even then, if you're a guy. Most men from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan,etc are taught to not engage in eye contact with women. I would think that in this region it is in their best interest to maintain that detachment. I get very surprised/shocked reactions from educated men from the region when I hold my hand out for a handshake! So I don't expect a reaction when I say Thank you. Can someone fill me in as to why we are talking about the non-existant "you're welcomes"? On my post about the tip, I just said I never got a "thank you" - either someone deleted a post or I'm going koo-koo - (or both, actually.. [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php'>[img'>http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif[/img'>[/url'>...LOL) Nevermind...got it.
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:49
I have to agree with Pomegranate, nothing worse than people doing a good deed for someone only to go on and brag about it....
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:47
I don't think there is an equivalent of " you're welcome" in the subcontinent. The most if is a smile/nod if your a regular/fav customer and even then, if you're a guy. Most men from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan,etc are taught to not engage in eye contact with women. I would think that in this region it is in their best interest to maintain that detachment. I get very surprised/shocked reactions from educated men from the region when I hold my hand out for a handshake! So I don't expect a reaction when I say Thank you. Can someone fill me in as to why we are talking about the non-existant "you're welcomes"? On my post about the tip, I just said I never got a "thank you" - either someone deleted a post or I'm going koo-koo - (or both, actually.. [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php'>[img'>http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif[/img'>[/url'>...LOL)
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:44
I don't think there is an equivalent of " you're welcome" in the subcontinent. The most if is a smile/nod if your a regular/fav customer and even then, if you're a guy. Most men from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan,etc are taught to not engage in eye contact with women. I would think that in this region it is in their best interest to maintain that detachment. I get very surprised/shocked reactions from educated men from the region when I hold my hand out for a handshake! So I don't expect a reaction when I say Thank you. ETA,actually come to think of it - it could just be that the men don't know how to respond to you? I've said thank yous in Hindi and Malayalam and got responses, so that may be the problem. <em>edited by tkoshy on 22/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:34
Is it the norm in every culture to say thank you, though? I don't like getting absolutely zero acknowledgement of my presence though.
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:29
If a person saying 'thank you' is then miffed that they don't get a response back, then whats the point of saying thank you in the first place? Surely you just say 'thank you' to someone because you're appreciative of what they've done and its the way you are, to acknowledge this. You've done your bit, who cares if the person it was directed at doesn't respond! Do you really have to hear 'your're welcome maaaaaaaam' to be satisfied that your 'thank you' was acknowledged?! Its like people who do good deeds and then brag about it, again, whats the point? :) edited by Pomegranate on 22/11/2011 i dont know in what setting a person who looks the other way when a person says thank you is considered "normal". Certainly not in any situation i have been. A person doesnt have to say "you're welcooome", even a slight nod or faint smile is considered acknolwedgment. But just being plain expressionless and refusing to make eye contact is rude. I didn't say it was normal or acceptable. I agree (for my culture) it is considered rude from their side. But what I was trying to point out is, why be so upset about it? They did something for you. Whether it was to weigh vegetables or carry bags. You said thank you. Because you mean it and its how you are. They didn't respond or acknowledge, so what! You did what is right for you. This sounds like a Seinfeld episode lol They did something for me because I asked "can you please help me with the bags". I gave them a tip for it on my own will ( after they helped) and I didn't let them know I was giving them a tip before I asked. I just expected a simple "thank you" and got nada. You think this is ok?
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:29
Say it slowly...Mais...action....list :D *lightbulb slowly going on* LOL... Thanks
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:24
If a person saying 'thank you' is then miffed that they don't get a response back, then whats the point of saying thank you in the first place? Surely you just say 'thank you' to someone because you're appreciative of what they've done and its the way you are, to acknowledge this. You've done your bit, who cares if the person it was directed at doesn't respond! Do you really have to hear 'your're welcome maaaaaaaam' to be satisfied that your 'thank you' was acknowledged?! Its like people who do good deeds and then brag about it, again, whats the point? :) edited by Pomegranate on 22/11/2011 Who did the good deed then....? Hmm....lemme think....
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:22
Say it slowly...Mais...action....list :D
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:20
I know that, that's why I started a new one. *wondering if this is a parallel universe* Nothing to do with this thread but it's driving me nuts - does your name have a meaning? Is it supposed to be tongue in cheek? Dh thinks I'm batty because I've been sitting here pronouncing it in different ways. Sorry if this is nosey...
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 14:10
I know that, that's why I started a new one. *wondering if this is a parallel universe*
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 13:31
Well that's how the original two threads were titled but they were about anything??! and they've both been closed.
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 11:39
If a person saying 'thank you' is then miffed that they don't get a response back, then whats the point of saying thank you in the first place? Surely you just say 'thank you' to someone because you're appreciative of what they've done and its the way you are, to acknowledge this. You've done your bit, who cares if the person it was directed at doesn't respond! Do you really have to hear 'your're welcome maaaaaaaam' to be satisfied that your 'thank you' was acknowledged?! Its like people who do good deeds and then brag about it, again, whats the point? :) edited by Pomegranate on 22/11/2011 You are wrong pomegranate. It's not about expecting something in return, it's common curtesy from someone employed in customer service. I'd be quite put out if that was how I was treated in a store. i dont know in what setting a person who looks the other way when a person says thank you is considered "normal". Certainly not in any situation i have been. A person doesnt have to say "you're welcooome", even a slight nod or faint smile is considered acknolwedgment. But just being plain expressionless and refusing to make eye contact is rude. I didn't say it was normal or acceptable. I agree (for my culture) it is considered rude from their side. But what I was trying to point out is, why be so upset about it? They did something for you. Whether it was to weigh vegetables or carry bags. You said thank you. Because you mean it and its how you are. They didn't respond or acknowledge, so what! You did what is right for you. This sounds like a Seinfeld episode lol

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY