at the first sign of a cold | ExpatWoman.com

at the first sign of a cold

Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 18:44

What is the best thing to do/take? Especially for children?

Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 13:39
Boil for 15 minutes on low flame - 2 cups water with one cinnamon stick, 5 cloves, 10 peppercorns, pinch of turmeric, little ginger, 2 tsp fennel seeds. Add lemon juice and honey to taste. sip warm and watch the cold disappear :-) sounds divine :), thanks, will give it a go
Latest post on 22 November 2011 - 09:48
Boil for 15 minutes on low flame - 2 cups water with one cinnamon stick, 5 cloves, 10 peppercorns, pinch of turmeric, little ginger, 2 tsp fennel seeds. Add lemon juice and honey to taste. sip warm and watch the cold disappear :-)
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:33
i agree x i use it as i have terrible sinusitus x iccle thing though ... I could not do it .. it makes me jump everytime !
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:20
arg .. she's 3 ... if i tried that on my niece she would def cry ... Olbas oil is a bit less intrusive and less of a shock ! well she doesnt like it that's for sure!! but it's worth it as it not only clears her nasal cavity but is also preventative of it going further and getting worse - or so the Dr says!
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:18
Thumbs up for a tissue with some drops of Olbas oil tucked into the pillow case at night... it really is magic and better than the chemical nasal sprays.. ..However a 'flush' with a "Sal de Mer" spray - saline - is great... the brand in OZ is FEZ.. but can't remember the one I have been buying here... Yes I've been spraying her nose with saline, readily available here :) but am really interested in getting some Olbas oil now, thanks ladies. any other tips?
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:17
arg .. she's 3 ... if i tried that on my niece she would def cry ... Olbas oil is a bit less intrusive and less of a shock !
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:14
Thumbs up for a tissue with some drops of Olbas oil tucked into the pillow case at night... it really is magic and better than the chemical nasal sprays.. ..However a 'flush' with a "Sal de Mer" spray - saline - is great... the brand in OZ is FEZ.. but can't remember the one I have been buying here...
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:09
Its Olbas Oil, a swiss product originally, but now also made in Uk. It is a blend of eucalyptus, pappermint oil, clove, juniperberry and cajaput. You could easily mix your own.... sounds lovely!
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:09
Its Olbas Oil, a swiss product originally, but now also made in Uk. It is a blend of eucalyptus, pappermint oil, clove, juniperberry and cajaput. You could easily mix your own.... Using Pappermint Oil ? never heard of Pappermint is that something new ?
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:04
great, thanks for the info! and the well wishes :)
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 19:02
albas oil is pretty magic - really clears sinuses and stays vapourised(if thats a real word ?) for a long time .. Every chemist/drug store will sell it x
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 18:58
I should definately invest in vicks, will have to google albas oil though ;) thanks.
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 18:56
I really dont know x my sister gives my niece a warm bath with Albas Oil and puts it diluted near her pillow or Vics .. you can also get one of those diffuser things with soothing herb extracts - plenty of cuddles and a couple of tough nights but where would we be without the common cold ? wish her better x
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 18:52
Thanks, I think lemon drinks with honey are very soothing. What should I give a 3 year old to alleviate symptoms like chest and nasal congestion? Dont want anything tht will keep her up at night
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 18:49
actually ... a very good friend of mine makes this amazing lemon drink grab 3 lemons .. take the nobby bits of at each end - cut into rough cubes - add about 6 tablespoons of sugar - 1-2 litres of water and blend in the whizzer once mushed .. strain through a sieve into a jug serve over ice .. I think this would go down quite well even if warmed up with a bit of honey - very soothing - bit sharp .. but add more honey ..
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 18:46
i think plenty of vitamin c .. but i dont think you can do anything for a common cold ..

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY