................OMG................... | ExpatWoman.com

................OMG...................

Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:01

After a particularly heavy night last night at Nelsons .......

I now have 6 people coming to dinner this evening to celebrate THANKSGIVING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the HECK ! do I get a fresh Turkey from This morning ????????????????

HELP ladies !! Please xx

Only say it quietly as my head hurts ......

Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 10:27
Aww, that's too bad! But by the sounds of it you ended up super busy anyway! THEY CANCELLED............................ ended up having a takeaway from the bayleaf ! Didn't get to see the parade ... GUTTED Didn't get to watch the 'game' ... GUTTED Didn't get to eat the Turkey ........not so gutted !
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 09:58
THEY CANCELLED............................ ended up having a takeaway from the bayleaf ! Didn't get to see the parade ... GUTTED Didn't get to watch the 'game' ... GUTTED Didn't get to eat the Turkey ........not so gutted !
Latest post on 25 November 2011 - 08:15
Was following this yesterday but have no idea about turkeys so couldnt help but am curious to hear how your thanksgiving dinner was?
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:41
bbcb, I feel for you! It is rather challenging time wise trying to get a fresh turkey at this pressing hour. I have a suggestion though, (to reduce the intensity of your "headaches"), I would probably get cornish game hens and stuff them, so each one of you get a mini "turkey" lol I am sure no one would mind there is no turkey on the table, but all will appreciate your effort and enjoy the camaraderie. Happy Thanksgiving and have a fantastic time tonight. Cheers! p/s: there are live turkeys running around at a horse riding club in Al Q. ;) <em>edited by Saharagypsyrose on 24/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:25
bbcb, you sound like a girl after my own heart, thats definitely something I would do! I feel for you though. Sorry, havent seen fresh ones, would go for a smaller frozen one or chickens failing that. On another note, what channel and time can I watch the parade? thanks, and have a great night, Im sure you're a fab host, it will be lovely! Happy thanksgiving!
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:23
ok gotta go kill a turkey ! ...................................
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:22
How long does it take to defrost a turkey ????? to long, you need a fresh one. Spinneys had some the other day, call them (all of them, lol) and check AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH ! LOL !
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:08
According to butterball.com a 6 lb turkey would take 3 hours to thaw in cold water.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:06
How long does it take to defrost a turkey ????? to long, you need a fresh one. Spinneys had some the other day, call them (all of them, lol) and check
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:04
How long does it take to defrost a turkey ?????
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:56
Park and shop had been advertising Turkey Crowns a few weeks back, may be worth looking into. But if you have to get a frozen turkey and try the quick defrost method, I'd consider cutting it up yourself into a crown and cook the legs separate. Cuts down on the cooking time considerably, but not so pretty if you thinking of carving the bird at th table :\:
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:54
Roomservice.ae have thanksgiving specials... 450 for a cooked turkey and trimmings at al bustan rotana. It's supposed to be 24 hours notice... my suggestions is call them and beg... offering an extra hundred rush fee might help too
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:52
Someone posted the butterball.com website here yesterday ... It says there that apparently you can defrost a small one about 6 lb in 8 hours via the water defrost method (pls check) not sure if that gives you enough time for dinner though!
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:49
You can order a full thanksgiving meal from http://www.roomservice.ae/Index.aspx?RegionID=2 That could save you from cooking and let you go back to bed to wean your hangover ;) lol OH ! I love you Wendopia ! I think I would get Hung , Drawn and Quartered if I don't make the effort .. besides .. always love a challenge ! I will make the sweet potatoes with maple syrup and the roasted potatoes with rosemary though .. Sounds Fabulous ! :cool:
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:43
You can order a full thanksgiving meal from http://www.roomservice.ae/Index.aspx?RegionID=2 That could save you from cooking and let you go back to bed to wean your hangover ;) lol
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:41
do you stuff the turkey the same as Christmas ?? I use sausage meat and stuffing ...
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:40
I'm too new here to help you, but I'm partially laughing and partially jealous. Enjoy your dinner. :) Thanks very very much for the offer (really!) but I've got my DH and 2 kiddos and I'm Canadian, so this isn't really a special day for me. I'm just jealous because I'm a newb and I haven't quite figured out the best way to make friends here yet! So while waking up to a headache and 6 dinner guests is a problem, its one of those problems that don't sound too bad. :) COME TO NELSONS ! .. Ouch ...I think I thought that a bit too loudly ....*whisper* it's ladies night on a Wednesday ! also seriously ... the EW coffee mornings are really good and the American/ Canadian ladies meet on a Thursday in JBR ! - I went last week .. I am British and they were particularly lovely to me x Thanks for the tip! I may try and go once I figure out babysitting.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:39
HOW MUCH ? .... LOL ! ....
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:39
I'm too new here to help you, but I'm partially laughing and partially jealous. Enjoy your dinner. :) Listen ...... apparently ....the more the merrier .... its Thanksgiving ... if your American and want to come ! ( 4 are British 2 are yanks ...).... we are also watching a 'Game' ... and a parade ............ I now think that is a baseball game .. Or an American Football game.. not sure yet ! do I need to get anything else ?? its all rushing back into my consciousness ..... they already have the green bean stew thing and the corn and the pumpkin pie and the mashed potatoes ... but they have no cooker or fridge ! and they were going to be eating on the floor ....with no TV's just the PC to watch the 'game' .... We had friends coming for a BBQ already .. it just seemed unfair that they were completely new to Dubai ... and couldn't cook a turkey .. so now its a Thanksgiving dinner.. do you give gifts at Thanksgiving ? or cards ? OH Lord ! what have I got myself into .... edited by bbcb on 24/11/2011 You aren't watching Baseball at this time of year you are watching American Football, the kind where you can touch the ball and run with it. LOL And you're watching the Macy's day Parade. HUGE parade and a big deal in the states. You don't bring gifts or cards but it's tacky to show up empty handed so at the very least bring some flowers for the host. And it's probably green bean casserole that they are bringing and it's delicious, enjoy!
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:36
Saw fresh Turkeys in Spinneys Motor City yesterday....... Only 350 dhs each!!!!!
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:33
I'm too new here to help you, but I'm partially laughing and partially jealous. Enjoy your dinner. :) Thanks very very much for the offer (really!) but I've got my DH and 2 kiddos and I'm Canadian, so this isn't really a special day for me. I'm just jealous because I'm a newb and I haven't quite figured out the best way to make friends here yet! So while waking up to a headache and 6 dinner guests is a problem, its one of those problems that don't sound too bad. :) COME TO NELSONS ! .. Ouch ...I think I thought that a bit too loudly ....*whisper* it's ladies night on a Wednesday ! also seriously ... the EW coffee mornings are really good and the American/ Canadian ladies meet on a Thursday in JBR ! - I went last week .. I am British and they were particularly lovely to me x
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:30
I'm too new here to help you, but I'm partially laughing and partially jealous. Enjoy your dinner. :) Thanks very very much for the offer (really!) but I've got my DH and 2 kiddos and I'm Canadian, so this isn't really a special day for me. I'm just jealous because I'm a newb and I haven't quite figured out the best way to make friends here yet! So while waking up to a headache and 6 dinner guests is a problem, its one of those problems that don't sound too bad. :)
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:22
C4, organinc supermarket, waitrose - all will probably have some turkeys not that i have been looking.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:18
I'm too new here to help you, but I'm partially laughing and partially jealous. Enjoy your dinner. :) Listen ...... apparently ....the more the merrier .... its Thanksgiving ... if your American and want to come ! ( 4 are British 2 are yanks ...).... we are also watching a 'Game' ... and a parade ............ I now think that is a baseball game .. Or an American Football game.. not sure yet ! do I need to get anything else ?? its all rushing back into my consciousness ..... they already have the green bean stew thing and the corn and the pumpkin pie and the mashed potatoes ... but they have no cooker or fridge ! and they were going to be eating on the floor ....with no TV's just the PC to watch the 'game' .... We had friends coming for a BBQ already .. it just seemed unfair that they were completely new to Dubai ... and couldn't cook a turkey .. so now its a Thanksgiving dinner.. do you give gifts at Thanksgiving ? or cards ? OH Lord ! what have I got myself into .... <em>edited by bbcb on 24/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:14
I'm too new here to help you, but I'm partially laughing and partially jealous. Enjoy your dinner. :)
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:14
Lol I shouldn't laugh but this sounds like something that could happen to me! Someone mentioned Sharjah animal souk, but I can imagine that you don't want to go all the way there. How about just doing two chickens? Or perhaps phone waitrose, park&shop etc and ask if they have fresh ones today. Good luck with your head and I'm sure dinner tonight will be great!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY