Single Mum | ExpatWoman.com

Single Mum

Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:32

Hi,
Dont know if this has been discussed before but i have a friend currently living in the UK who is divorced and would like to move here with her son, is this allowed?

Latest post on 03 June 2013 - 13:48
Compared with the UK, and in my experience, being a working mum is easier in Dubai than London for the following reasons: 1) I get to drive my kids to school, then drive to work, park underground and be at my desk by 8am. I leave the office at the end of the day and drive home in 25-30 mins, and am back in plenty of time to cook dinner, catch up with kids on their day, be there for their dinner/ bath/ bedtime story. In London, I'd be leaving home at 6:30am to catch an overcrowded train to work in the City (commuting time 1 hr each way), and get home after my kids have gone to bed. 2) home help is WAY cheaper here than the UK, which means it makes more financial sense for me to work and save/ pay off my mortgage than it would in London, where pretty much all my salary would go on paying the nanny. 3) school fees here are expensive, but at least you are paying from non-taxed income. In the UK, I'd still want to send my children to private school, but would be paying similar fees AFTER the taxman had taken 50% of my salary. I doubt I'd be able to afford it there. There are other quality of life things that for me rank Dubai over London at this point in our lives - we live 10 mins from the beach, so it's easy to pop out on thursday evening after school/ work for a splash around; the kids spend a lot of time out of doors and very little time in front of the tv, extra-curricular activities are relatively easy to get to etc. However, Dxb is expensive for rent, medical insurance, clothes, entertainment etc - it is hard to get into good schools and even the 'outstanding' schools dont offer the kind of personal attention that you would get from a good private school in the UK. As the children get older, we may decide that Dubai is no longer the best place for us to be, but in the meantime, it makes sense for us. The key thing in making your decision is whether the numbers stack up from a financial perspective - will your package be sufficient to cover EVERYTHING and still allow you to save? Even if the numbers do stack up, the first few months getting yourself organised here as a single parent will be difficult. Red tape can be severe and confusing; finding good home help, getting your daughter into nursery, buying a car, renting a home and dealing with the dreaded estate agents - all of this is hard enough when you have a partner to share the burden with; it will be doubly so on your own. if you decide to move, if you can get your mom or another close family member to come over with you for a month or two to lend a hand and some moral support, that would help immensely. Asking your sponsoring company to include a relocation consultant to assist with these things would also be a huge benefit. good luck!
Latest post on 03 June 2013 - 09:30
The above post is correct with regards to it being expensive and the rents are gradually increasing daily! Please think this move over carefully and make sure you have a GOOD package before taking the leap. Dubai isn't very working-parent friendly on the whole. It can be a great place to live. We are American and are generally happy here, but I also eagerly await our move home. Dubai is very expensive. You are going to need a nanny full time in order to make it work with you working full time. That will include visa costs to sponsor her. You'll either need to have an apartment or villa with a maids room or pay her extra to live out. Your daughter will need to be enrolled in school at 4. Most of the American curriculum schools are very expensive: cost equivalent to college tuition to my American mind. I'm not sure on British curriculum options. Your daughter will also need transportation and the buses are an additional fee on top of tuition. For housing, you're looking at probably 100,000AED and up in the current market for a decently sized 2 bedroom flat in most areas of Dubai. Slightly more if it has a maids room for a live in. A villa is more on top of that. Cars are much more expensive here than in the States, but gas is cheap at least. Make sure the employer offers good health insurance. Medical insurance here is run on an "American system" except it lacks most of the protections for preexisting conditions, COBRA, etc that are built into the system at home. I have a good professional job and am paid fairly here. It would be very difficult for me to support myself and a child in Dubai.
Latest post on 03 June 2013 - 09:04
I am a young widow (currently 32). My daughter (age 3.5) and I are both British and American (dual citizens). We would like the opportunity to move to Dubai, and I am currently job searching. Are there many single mums in Dubai? Would it be a comfortable environment for us to live in? I am a single my mother with one kid living with me. Before moving to Dubai think twice if you can manage financially, its very expensive here (rents, schools etc) and very hard to combine work and kid. I am lucky that I can work from home and flexible hours, so don't need a nanny to take care of my kid and managing all by myself. (having a nanny you will need a bigger place too, and rents not cheap). The above post is correct with regards to it being expensive and the rents are gradually increasing daily!
Latest post on 03 June 2013 - 08:51
I am a young widow (currently 32). My daughter (age 3.5) and I are both British and American (dual citizens). We would like the opportunity to move to Dubai, and I am currently job searching. Are there many single mums in Dubai? Would it be a comfortable environment for us to live in? I am a single my mother with one kid living with me. Before moving to Dubai think twice if you can manage financially, its very expensive here (rents, schools etc) and very hard to combine work and kid. I am lucky that I can work from home and flexible hours, so don't need a nanny to take care of my kid and managing all by myself. (having a nanny you will need a bigger place too, and rents not cheap).
Latest post on 02 June 2013 - 02:21
I am a young widow (currently 32). My daughter (age 3.5) and I are both British and American (dual citizens). We would like the opportunity to move to Dubai, and I am currently job searching. Are there many single mums in Dubai? Would it be a comfortable environment for us to live in?
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 15:45
I have a few friends who have come here as single parents or who have divorced here with no issues. [b'>Only one friend could not come, as her son did not have a father named on his birth certificate and she could find no way around it.[/b'>[u'>[/u'> I am a single mother who sponsors my son. He does not have a fathers name on birth certificate and it was not a problem. That's interesting. Who knows why cases are treated differently. Glad to hear that you got your visas no problem.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 15:26
I have a few friends who have come here as single parents or who have divorced here with no issues. [b'>Only one friend could not come, as her son did not have a father named on his birth certificate and she could find no way around it.[/b'>[u'>[/u'> I am a single mother who sponsors my son. He does not have a fathers name on birth certificate and it was not a problem.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 14:54
I have a few friends who have come here as single parents or who have divorced here with no issues. Only one friend could not come, as her son did not have a father named on his birth certificate and she could find no way around it.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 13:06
Thanks everyone, seems like its not illegal anyway. She will have to look into it proerly but sounds good. Thanks again.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:53
is there any single mum club in dubai?
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 09:44
yes My friend is a single mum, She is not a big cheese in a big company but she is sponsoring her 3 kids. she has dubai visa (company visa) your friend has to bring all the attested papers (like divorced papers, custody papers etc etc).
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 08:38
As far as I am aware it is .. I know a couple of single mums here but One is a Lawyer and sponsored by her company and the other is a Big cheese in a big company ..also company sponsored ..

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY