So something weird happened the other night.... | ExpatWoman.com

So something weird happened the other night....

Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:31

..... about 6.30/7pm the door bell rang. it was a boy of about 10/11 years old with a bucket of notes asking for "money for the Pakistan flood victims" and said his teacher from his school sent them round (the Ranches).

Do you think it was genuine? or boys trying their luck (and by the look of the bucket of cash - winning)?

I honestly didnt know what to do.....

Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 10:01
In order to collect for any kind of charity or event, they must have the authorization of the local government, i.e. be able to show a signed and stamped document by the UAE/Dubai Governments.
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 09:53
gems wellington were doing an Event on Thursday for the pakistani flood victims - it possibly had something to do with that .. was he wearing a green t shirt ?
Latest post on 25 November 2011 - 10:40
..... about 6.30/7pm the door bell rang. it was a boy of about 10/11 years old with a bucket of notes asking for "money for the Pakistan flood victims" and said his teacher from his school sent them round (the Ranches). Do you think it was genuine? or boys trying their luck (and by the look of the bucket of cash - winning)? I honestly didnt know what to do..... I would have called him in, and called the the police next!! Bit harsh in my opinion..what harm's he doing, if people give him money surely that's their own look out...
Latest post on 25 November 2011 - 03:27
Not saying that this lad wasn't genuine but it has been known for kids to do this kind of scam for pocket money. I had 2 girls at my door a few years ago, dressed in Guide uniforms saying that they were collecting money to help towards refurbishing the school nursery. I knew that they weren't real Guides as I am the local Guide leader!! I kept them chatting and asked if they went to the local primary school. I knew one of the girls by sight. I then sweetly told them who I was and they legged it. I called the school next day and informed the head about the bogus Guides claiming to collect for the school. The girls were chastised by the school head and parents informed. Ah the beauty of living in a village!
Latest post on 25 November 2011 - 00:43
..... about 6.30/7pm the door bell rang. it was a boy of about 10/11 years old with a bucket of notes asking for "money for the Pakistan flood victims" and said his teacher from his school sent them round (the Ranches). Do you think it was genuine? or boys trying their luck (and by the look of the bucket of cash - winning)? I honestly didnt know what to do..... I would have called him in, and called the the police next!!
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 19:46
No way would I give him money without some sort of proof! Anyone who uses charity fraudulently is actually a criminal...even if it's on a small scale it's not ok. If he was legit he should be carrying leaflets or wearing a uniform or something Sorry but there a lot of crooks here who are quite happy to use kids to get money. Just stop at any Shj petrol station during Eid - kids swarm your car asking for Eidiya (money given to kids for Eid) and then you see a lot of them go back and hand money to their parents waiting in cars. Not on!
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:52
why don't i ever get "strange visitors" ??? lol wow!! full marks to him for nerve, impressive :D *like*
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:51
why don't i ever get "strange visitors" ??? lol wow!! full marks to him for nerve, impressive :D
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:50
There are many initiatives around at the moment for the flood victims. My company is doing something as well. Wouldn't have hurt to stick 5 diri in either way.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:44
Well personally I wouldn't have contributed anything unless her gave me proof in a form of a letter on headed paper from the school. Certainly sounds like a scam. You did the right thing.
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:39
No he didnt say what school and he wasnt in school uniform. There were other people floating about but could only hear voices so not sure if they were adults or not. Talk about being put on the spot. But seriously from what i saw in the bucket he must have had at least 5/600 dhs
Latest post on 24 November 2011 - 16:36
Do you know what school he went to? If you do, contact the school and ask them. Was he with a parent? Sounds fishy to me TBH. I personally wouldn't have given any cash unless I was 100% certain it was going to the cause he said it was going to.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY