Seeking dog (preferably a labrador) in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Seeking dog (preferably a labrador) in Dubai

Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 12:45

Anyone have ideas on a good place to find / adopt or perhaps buy a dog in Dubai -- preferably looking for a black or golden lab..... Thanks.

Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 14:13
Thanks to all for the good advice. A lot to read through and think about.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 09:28
Also take a look at the Sharjah Cat and Dog shelter, they have 100 dogs and puppies desperately looking for homes.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 04:32
I suggest contacting K9 friends or Posh Paws Dubai as they have many dogs/puppies looking for homes. If you really want a lab to buy I did see two puppies in the Al Barsha Vets Pet Shop, one is gold one is black, they're not tiny puppies though, they'd be about 6 months,[b'> they are imported from holland and the pet shop seems to look after their animals well and not be dodgy puppy farm type.[/b'> AS...are they pups that were 'dumped' on the pet shops' door? If the business imported them for sale in the pet shop, I'll bet my life savings they are from either a puppy mill or a "backyard breeder". Each equally vile, just one is on a smaller scale. People think it's ok to buy from backyard breeders because they 'love their pets and raise the pups in a family environment' blah blah blah. Any breeder who will produce pups to order and send them overseas without a care in the world where they end up is unethical. As I always do, I BEG people DO NOT BUY PET SHOP ANIMALS. Every one that is bought and paid for supports further breeding and the inherent animal abuse. Easy really - supply and demand. Stop the demand, there'll be no market to supply.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 04:25
Are you still with us lenamilius? :D I'm going to copy and paste the last post I wrote. I'm getting tired replying to all of these current puppy threads. ;) From the last thread... http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=165982 http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=165776 http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=166012 Here are three recent ones I've been using as a forum for my soapbox. PLEASE do not buy locally...Animal World is up there amongst the MOST vile of the pet shops I ever saw in Dubai. PLEASE do not buy via the internet. PLEASE do not buy from any breeder who won't make it hard for you. If it's easy to buy a pup, you are supporting a vile and cruel industry. On behalf of the dogs, I beg you to research thoroughly and choose wisely.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 11:32
I agree with Chocos. We had a v bad experience with a pet we bought from Pet Zone. He was imported from Budapest.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 19:45
Please head to the shelters first and try to avoid buying dogs here. All the puppies in pet shops aren't bred here and they're brought in from abroad, many with fudged paperwork, underage and sick and are more than likely going to cost a fortune in vets bills.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 19:30
There's a gorgeous lab at Pampered Pets in Marina.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 08:36
There are some beautiful discarded pets here in Dubai..... Look at the shelters first...you may even find a type you like... Amazing that people bring dogs and cats here to dump.....
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 08:20
There's no such thing as a gold Lab, there are black Labs, chocolate Labs (nearly all of them named Hershey in my experience) and yellow Labs. [b'>My chocolate lab is called Lily, and is one of a litter of 10. None of them are called Hershey, although there are a couple of Charlies (Charley Brown from Peanuts I guess). There was a golden Lab in the petshop near Safestway a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if he is still there though.[/b'> <em>edited by mrsg on 27/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 22:11
Here you go, ladies, from Wikipedia, fount of all knowledge: Q: Yellow (and related shades) In the early years of the breed through to the mid-20th century, Labradors of a shade we would now call "yellow" were in fact a dark, almost butterscotch, colour (visible in early yellow Labrador photographs). The shade was known as "Golden" until required to be changed by the UK Kennel Club, on the grounds that "Gold" was not actually a colour. Over the 20th century a preference for far lighter shades of yellow through to cream prevailed, until today most yellow Labradors are of this shade. Also fawn has been a common colour in the yellow lab variety UQ. You're both right, and Sue is older than MaryCatherine ;) LOL !!
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 21:48
Here you go, ladies, from Wikipedia, fount of all knowledge: Q: Yellow (and related shades) In the early years of the breed through to the mid-20th century, Labradors of a shade we would now call "yellow" were in fact a dark, almost butterscotch, colour (visible in early yellow Labrador photographs). The shade was known as "Golden" until required to be changed by the UK Kennel Club, on the grounds that "Gold" was not actually a colour. Over the 20th century a preference for far lighter shades of yellow through to cream prevailed, until today most yellow Labradors are of this shade. Also fawn has been a common colour in the yellow lab variety UQ. You're both right, and Sue is older than MaryCatherine ;)
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 20:40
OK you win
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 20:35
my point was that i thought you came across as condescending and it's a pet hate of mine that posters get opinions instead of information. "no such thing as a golden labrador" may or may not be technically correct but in my opinion is a tad picky when so many people call them that - my husband's family had one for years and i never heard anyone call him "yellow"... http://www.designermixes.org/breed_info/235/golden_labrador.aspx
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 18:49
Because she asked for a golden Lab??? in her post. Sorry, but if she isn't aware that there is no such thing as a "golden" lab perhaps she isn't aware of the breed characteristics either? Sorry if I tried to help her if that was the case - what was the point of your post as you don't have any relevant info to her inquiry (at least mine was relevant to the breed in general). Have a nice day. <em>edited by marycatherine on 26/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 17:01
There's no such thing as a gold Lab, there are black Labs, chocolate Labs (nearly all of them named Hershey in my experience) and yellow Labs. Labs are a LOT of work, especially when they're young because (a) they're mouthy, being retrievers, they put everything in their mouths and chew on them and (b) that tail should be registered as a weapon, it can clear a coffee table in one swish. If a Lab is indeed what you want - please do some research, they are wonderful dogs and love their people, but they are extremely active, subject to hip displaysia (very expensive to correct) but well worth the time and money you have to invest in such a great companion. Why do you assume that the OP isn't aware of all that ? She's just asked where she can get one... ETA which is the one piece of information you haven't told her !! lol <em>edited by Sue62 on 26/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 16:23
There's no such thing as a gold Lab, there are black Labs, chocolate Labs (nearly all of them named Hershey in my experience) and yellow Labs. Labs are a LOT of work, especially when they're young because (a) they're mouthy, being retrievers, they put everything in their mouths and chew on them and (b) that tail should be registered as a weapon, it can clear a coffee table in one swish. If a Lab is indeed what you want - please do some research, they are wonderful dogs and love their people, but they are extremely active, subject to hip displaysia (very expensive to correct) but well worth the time and money you have to invest in such a great companion.
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 16:21
Just wanted to add, if you're willing to rescue and take on a dog from one of the below organizations rather than opting to buy it can be very rewarding! these dogs are so grateful for a home and they really do make fantastic companions, wish you all the best either way.
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 16:18
Here is another option - Animal Action also resue dogs like this one Bob....looads of dogs to choose from. Please join and have a look, also desperate for people to foster if you want to try the dog out first :) http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=257979224250201&set=a.106097469438378.3308.106075079440617&type=3&theater
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 16:15
I suggest contacting K9 friends or Posh Paws Dubai as they have many dogs/puppies looking for homes. If you really want a lab to buy I did see two puppies in the Al Barsha Vets Pet Shop, one is gold one is black, they're not tiny puppies though, they'd be about 6 months, they are imported from holland and the pet shop seems to look after their animals well and not be dodgy puppy farm type.
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 15:17
I have a lovely dog being fostered with us for 2 weeks ... we already have a house full ... There are so many abandonded homeless dogs here am sure you will find one but please if you fancy the one I have he will make a lovely pet ... LL
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 14:33
Also checkout dubizzle, there are many pets that people want to give away...I saw a lovely lab (6 months old) a couple of weeks ago and have been dreaming of it since....but can not keep dogs although craving for one..so enjoy!
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 13:44
Check out K9 Friends, they often seem to have labrador crosses available. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/K9-Friends-Dubai/135431973890
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 13:23
What a great act would be if you check out the rescue dogs. They will be the most grateful dogs ever. My friends have rescue dogs which is hard to believe they were abandoned in the first place

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY