Exaggerated blinking - should I be concerned...? | ExpatWoman.com

Exaggerated blinking - should I be concerned...?

Latest post on 27 January 2012 - 02:28
I remember mum telling me I did a similar thing when I was about seven or eight. I'd do the blinking, plus a little sniffle here and there. She was worried it was Tourettes so took me to a doc, they said it was a phase & I'd grow out of it. Noticed that it was when I was nervous/anxious and then it got to be a bit of a habit so was hard to get out of, mum would just tap me on the shoulder and tell me I was doing it, as mostly I was totally unaware I was even blinking. Grew out of it after a couple of months, came back once or twice but totally gone by the time I was ten.
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 22:44
My GD went through a phase of rapid blinking and eye rolling when she was six or seven. We took her to Moorfields to have her eyes tested to make sure there wasn't an underlying serious problem. She had quite a few tests but thankfully they were all clear and there was absolutely nothing wrong with her eyes. It was said that it was a phase she was going through and also that the sand, etc. in the air could be a factor. I think the phase lasted for six to nine months and disappeared as quickly as it had started. However, if you are concerned and you want to put your mind at rest, I can recommend Moorfields.
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 21:55
My nephew had this when he was around 2 years old, it was non stop for about 2 months. We were all scared for him because when he blinked he makes a painful expression on his face as if something hurts him but he always says nothing hurts him. My sister took him to doctors and they said he's going through a phase. He was completely normal after those 2 months of non stop blinking.
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 21:20
My DH's cousin did this when she was 18 and had just started studying medicine at university. It was very marked at a family occasion when she brought some of her "baby doc" friends and they all tried to impress everyone with their put on voices and loud chat about their new found knowledge. My MIL put her gas in a peep when she went over to her niece and said "behave yourself madam, I remember you running around with no knickers on!!" Her rapid blinking stopped dead!!
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 18:25
I remember my sisters son doing this, (age 8) and her mentioning this to me.. She ended up talking to the doctor.. The doctor said to her to ignore it and not to mention to her son he was doing it and it should pass... I also used to do this when I was little I remember it became a bit of a habit but I eventually forgot about it and it past also... I think it is quite common, and should be ignored, obviously if it looks like your DD is straining her eyes then maybe an eye test would be something to think about. Oh and it did eventually pass, and my sis didn't make him anymore aware of it than he may have been..so the doc was right in this instance and had heard if this before.. Hope it all works out :) edited by Carol2012 on 26/01/2012 <em>edited by Carol2012 on 26/01/2012</em>
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 18:19
DS aged 13 has just started a weird blinking and then rolling his eyes up we noticed it when watching tv last night, he doesn't seem bothered about it when we asked him about it. Can anyone recommend an opthalmologist, DH quite concerned. I've heard lots of mixed reviews about eye tests here in Dubai in the mall opticians, so a recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Was this just a one time thing or you have seen him done this before and even he wasn't aware of it? Did you ask him the reason why felt he had to do it (assuming he was aware of it)? In the States, we recommend children under the age of 18 or above the age of 50 to have annual eye examination and in between every 2 years, assuming no existing medical or ocular issues that is. Mall opticians or optometrists (most, not all) here are generally not highly trained and have limited knowledge of conditions or disorders outside of vision and glasses. As the saying goes, there is more to vision than 20/20 (or 6/6 in Metric system). The only few of the pediatric ophthalmologists that I am aware of are Dr. Singh at Welcare, Dr. Sabry at Magrabi, Dr. Roberts at Moorfield. and a couple more I don't remember the names. I personally have no experience working or dealing with these individuals though. Hopefully those who have dealt with them before can give you recommendation. I would just observe to see if he continues with this ocular behavior, and just jot down the frequency and typical time of day or any complaints accompanying this. Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to have his eyes checked if it's been more than a year since his last eye examination. They are at the age where the visual demand is higher with school work (or computer games) :D It's probably nothing serious though, but always good to have it checked out for him and for your peace of mind. Cheers!
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 17:53
Not knowing how old your DD is and how exaggerated the blinking is, but exaggerated blinking fall into the category of blepharospasm (a tic is a form of this). The best thing is to observe closely whether blinking increases or decreases in certain situation, and to ask your child directly if she is aware of it or if under any type of stress (assuming verbal and able to convey feelings) as it could be voluntary or involuntary. It could be as simple as being nervous, eyes irritation or vision problem, a way to get attention, or a more serious dystonia. I have ran into a few cases, where a child was blinking in an excessive and exaggerated way, and it turned out that her cousin just got glasses, and she wanted them too, so she started this attention getting behavior. Her vision was perfectly fine, once we realized the "cause" and put on a "blank" pair of glasses on her, the behavior immediately stopped. The next one was due to stress, and the blinking was mostly voluntary, but eventually it became involuntary into adulthood. So my advice is to go and see a pediatric ophthalmologist if the condition persists. In most cases, they come and go and nothing to worry about. Cheers! :) DS aged 13 has just started a weird blinking and then rolling his eyes up we noticed it when watching tv last night, he doesn't seem bothered about it when we asked him about it. Can anyone recommend an opthalmologist, DH quite concerned. I've heard lots of mixed reviews about eye tests here in Dubai in the mall opticians, so a recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Latest post on 26 January 2012 - 17:32
Just an update to say that I'm so glad that DD seems to have nearly stopped the exaggerated blinking in the last few days, still does it sometimes but definitely not as much as before, hopefully it will stop altogether soon....like the neurologist said......apparently it's quite common and a developmental thing.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 09:47
Not knowing how old your DD is and how exaggerated the blinking is, but exaggerated blinking fall into the category of blepharospasm (a tic is a form of this). The best thing is to observe closely whether blinking increases or decreases in certain situation, and to ask your child directly if she is aware of it or if under any type of stress (assuming verbal and able to convey feelings) as it could be voluntary or involuntary. It could be as simple as being nervous, eyes irritation or vision problem, a way to get attention, or a more serious dystonia. I have ran into a few cases, where a child was blinking in an excessive and exaggerated way, and it turned out that her cousin just got glasses, and she wanted them too, so she started this attention getting behavior. Her vision was perfectly fine, once we realized the "cause" and put on a "blank" pair of glasses on her, the behavior immediately stopped. The next one was due to stress, and the blinking was mostly voluntary, but eventually it became involuntary into adulthood. So my advice is to go and see a pediatric ophthalmologist if the condition persists. In most cases, they come and go and nothing to worry about. Cheers! :)
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 08:22
My DD blinks a lot when she is anxious and/or nervous. Like when she first went for a sleep over she blinked all day before and when I dropped her off but it had stopped by the next day.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 08:14
A classmate of mine had twitching in her left eye and the doctor gave her a small botox injection into the overactive nerve. I cant remember what the cause was but best to go see a doctor.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 08:02
I was going to post the sas highland lass. DD was doing this and stopped after getting glasses. she didn't stop immediately as I think it also became a bit of a habit.
Latest post on 27 November 2011 - 07:33
My Son was doing this. It went on or a couple of months but not all the time, until I took him for an eye test. Turns out he needed glasses and he was blinking alot to keep focused. He didn't realise that there was anything wrong with his vision and didn't complain, As thats how he'd always seen things. It wasn't until after he got his glasses that he realised there was only 1 of me :) Wouldn't hurt to get them checked if you haven't already x
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 22:37
I should google it and read up too. I never did that at the time. Then I will know what it is if she starts it up again!
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 22:34
That's reassuring to know 4P...now that I've got round to googling it (should have done that b4 posting here I guess)...it's something called a tic which apparently is quiet common and can disappear as suddenly it appears.....
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 21:18
Hi Sugarbeach. My now 3 yr old has gone through a stage of this twice. Not sure why it started or what made it end. She was maybe two and a bit when she first did it. Just moved here and she started nursery, so not sure if it was a nervous thing. Anyway, first time it went on for a little while, but then stopped. Second time she did it was recently, stopped quite soon after. HTH
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 21:14
do you mean in a "diva/theatrical" kind of way or just normal but faster ? sorry no idea but would be interested to hear any suggestions...
Latest post on 26 November 2011 - 20:55
...at all, or will she grow out of it? Just noticed that DD'started blinking in an exaggerated way recently....is this just a phase? Anything to be concerned about? TIA

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY