Umm Suqeim 1 - attempted robbery | ExpatWoman.com

Umm Suqeim 1 - attempted robbery

Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 08:20

Good morning,

We have had ''visitors'' today early morning (about 520am). They tried to open the main door, but did not have much luck, then went to the backyard door and opened it. I have been up feeding my LO and called for DH to come to the rescue. As soon as they heard me yelling they run away.

Police were helpful, ***but please please be careful and lock the doors and windows***!

They robbers must have been really thick or really brave as they have seen the TV on and still tried to come in!

Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 09:58
I think you missunderstood me Sarassister. I was commenting on the fact that two of these break ins happened at a similar time (5-5.30am) when it should be quite safe as there are so many newspaper deivery men around.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 08:57
This is obviously the season for it with the cooler weather people are leaving their windows and doors open. We were robbed in a similar way 2 years ago just before xmas . We are in Jumeirah 3 Think they got in through a french door which hadnt been locked properly. Took the usual cash and phones although left all my credit cards etc and there were 2 laptops lying around which were untouched
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 08:42
Oh Dear JoannaS hope you are ok. Thanks for the warning. Also if I can add from the JVT Group , there was a attempted robbery in JVT a few weeks back a lady came home and found the robber in her bedroom , he soon ran out. The police think he was looking for jewlery and came through the sliding doors at the back. So make sure if you have these they are reinforced by wood etc. Have heard similar stories back in the UK.... I think some people get more desparate around this time of year. See this freaks me out, because I can't figure out how to make the back doors more secure. As they both slide open (so one track is inside, and one track outside), putting sticks in the door track wouldn't work... I'm alone a lot but do have a quite wolfy looking dog. She's sweet as honey but I'm hoping the sight of her is enough to deter anyone...also she does 'talk' when she sees someone - the husky growl - so maybe that'll work too. DH also insisted on putting up those "WARNING" signs on the fence with a pic of a ****** fanged dog lol...most people just look bemused! I have gotten annoyed at several of the builders who have stopped and been openly peering through my fence into my windows. RamC you should of course call 999 in any genuine emergency and ask for police, "shurta" in Arabic. The starred out bit is "bl00dy" - amazed that this is starred out!! <em>edited by GirlAnachronism on 05/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 08:31
This is so terrifying to me since I'm alone most of the time :( What number to call in case of emergency!!!!?????? <em>edited by RamC on 05/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 08:10
my dog is a useless guard dog. She would love any intruder to death. Mind you, that just might scare them away, one loving dog who will gently put paws on chest lol
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 08:00
Once I had claimed my stuff, the police actually beat him with a stick....right in front of me! Not what I wanted to see, but it's good to see they take it seriously! edited by Sabrina H on 04/12/2011 If only all thieves were treated the same way, and we didnt have (not jut here) white collar thieves sitting nicely while blue collar ones are beaten.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 05:48
A neighbour of ours woke up at about the same time (5.30am) last week and there was a man in there house. They had forgotten to put the stick back in one of the windows. He ran but had already taken money and phones. Desparate people - although I do wonder as it is the same time as all the newspaper sellers are out and about. A worrying post Scaralex especially as you infer that the newspaper sellers are responsible with NO evidence except that they like many others are up and about because they have a job to do! Their job is hard enough as it is without people thinkng that they are criminals because they work anti-social hours!
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 21:39
We had a burglar a few years ago in us2, on the first day of Eid, at around 8am.....quite stupid if you ask me...on a day when most people will be home. He managed to get away with some foreign currency, the video camera and some other random bits. I wasn't going to call the police at first, but then I did, they were there within 15 minutes and because the maid managed to see what he was wearing (The typical Pakistani outfit) she gave a description to the police. They found him half an hour later (have no idea how they singled him out as most Pakistani men wear the same outfit) He said someone had just sold him the camera. The police took him away and asked me to come to the station to identify my things. Once I had claimed my stuff, the police actually beat him with a stick....right in front of me! Not what I wanted to see, but it's good to see they take it seriously! <em>edited by Sabrina H on 04/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 21:13
I'm so glad we have a dog. He'd wake the entire house up before anyone got close. It's scary though to think there's so much of this going on.
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 21:10
We had a late night intruder in JLT... DH had been out on a work do and left the front door unlocked. I was not quite asleep when I heard the door go. I woke DH from his alcohol induced coma and he caught the man by the lifts. At first the man claimed he lived in the tower and had come to our apartment by mistake... (he was going through a plastic bag I had left by the front door) then he said he was going to a party in the building... All rubbish. We called the Police who came and took him away. The fact he was carrying a large bag with 2 bottles of Whisky in didn't help his case!! The security in our tower are not great but the police we very good. Opportunists... or a gang?!?! Door remains LOCKED at all times now!! Scary but luckily nothing was taken and the guy was caught. One less to worry about!! Stay safe ladies...
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 21:01
A neighbour of ours woke up at about the same time (5.30am) last week and there was a man in there house. They had forgotten to put the stick back in one of the windows. He ran but had already taken money and phones. Desparate people - although I do wonder as it is the same time as all the newspaper sellers are out and about.
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 20:56
DH ordered metal bars to be fitted on all exterior windows 2 weeks ago.
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 20:52
We also had an intruder at 11.30am on Thursday, whilst dd was upstairs, he appears to have walked in through the back door that was open but ran after the dog alerted dd. The police tonight stopped me whilst walking the dog to warn me of a number of break ins that have been reported in the neighbourhood (US1) recently. Be vigilent and secure your doors and windows. Keep Safe.
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 14:15
Thank you ladies - indeed a horrible experience and I am grateful my children, DH and I are ok. They also went through the car boot and a glove compartment in my car, so please be aware. X was the car not locked? It was locked.
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 13:41
Thank you ladies - indeed a horrible experience and I am grateful my children, DH and I are ok. They also went through the car boot and a glove compartment in my car, so please be aware. X was the car not locked?
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 13:18
Thank you ladies - indeed a horrible experience and I am grateful my children, DH and I are ok. They also went through the car boot and a glove compartment in my car, so please be aware. X
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 10:25
thanks for the warning JoannaS, hope you are ok! i would have been terrified!!
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 10:09
Friends of mine were broken into in Umm Sequiem 1 over Eid, they stole a wallet with all the credit cards, mobile phones - just lose items from kitchen. Friends were upstairs in the house and couldn't understand why the dog was barking like crazy!
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 08:36
Oh Dear JoannaS hope you are ok. Thanks for the warning. Also if I can add from the JVT Group , there was a attempted robbery in JVT a few weeks back a lady came home and found the robber in her bedroom , he soon ran out. The police think he was looking for jewlery and came through the sliding doors at the back. So make sure if you have these they are reinforced by wood etc. Have heard similar stories back in the UK.... I think some people get more desparate around this time of year.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY