Ok so what did you used to have in your lunch box as a child? | ExpatWoman.com

Ok so what did you used to have in your lunch box as a child?

Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:27
Alismum - unfortunately my 40's are but a memory but thank you for thinking that I was that age. Happily my life is just as great now as it was then, just in a different way.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:23
School lunches only, no packed lunches allowed. All cooked on premises and everything on the plate had to be eaten or you got a clip around the ear. Lots of typical English foods and puds. :) No fussing, it was dumped on your plate and you ate it, end of.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:17
I used to get the standard which varied of: * a sandwich (either vegemite & cheese, polony with sauce, egg & lettuce, tuna & lettuce, cheese & tomato) * an apple or a banana * a biscuit or Unle Toby's muesli bar * sometimes a yogurt or a juice box * frozen bottle of water or in summer water with cordial in it Once a week I was allowed to order lunch, quite often I chose fish fingers in bread and a chicken soup or a sausage roll or something equally 'school canteen'. If Dad was on lunch patrol, he usually just shoved $5 at us each to order lunch as he worked night shift and couldn't be bothered in the mornings!!! ;) :D If my grandmother made our lunch box it was usually full of weird 'ethnic foods' such as above but with salami & pickle or weird European biscuits which the other kids would all want to look at. Often got called a 'wog' for the salami but I think they were all just jealous because along with it we'd get these fab European mini chocolates wrapped in papers with different cities on :)
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 19:59
no lunch boxes (didn't exist), but proper school meals Me too! :D
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 19:04
Alismum - I am 'pre Smash' so think I must be a bit older than you !! In fact, I think I am probably the oldest poster on EW, lol SueB - When I was at primary school, our milk bottles had cardboard tops ! Aw bless you Amelia. I thought you were in your 40s. I remember the little milk bottles as well, they came with a crate in the morning, and if you were lucky you didn't get one where the milk had gone off, tasted like sweaty socks if you did. Vera, regarding the juices, I have heard if the drink has a straw then it's less harmful to teeth. I am guilty of putting one of those little juices in both of my kids snack boxes, as well as a tiny cup cake. My LO eats next to nothing though, and I worry that if he only gets a bit of fruit then he'll fade away..
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 14:55
May I just say ....C-A-K- E ;) (joke!)
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 11:43
I grew up having cooked lunches at school.Never really heard of packed school lunch boxes till much later in life.And now due to the circumstance, I'm packing them daily. Fish on Fridays, chicken Milanese, stews and soups with semolina dumplings, stuffed peppers or stuffed sour kraut leaves, mash potato, rice, fried eggs for brekkie with fresh milk, fresh cottage cheese and sour cream(not what is being sold today in stores, at least not what I know as cottage cheese)pate and cheese, fresh furi, apples, grapes, pears, bread butter and jam with tea or hot chocolate,custards, semolina and puddings,fresh natural yogurt, green salads, mixed salads, fresh made chocolate cakes, meals consisted of three courses, last one being desert...and of course having second helpings was standard. Everything was cooked at school kitchen, never heard anyone ridiculing or making fun of kitchen staff. <em>edited by Goose on 29/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 11:07
I try to make my DD's lunch box the opposite to mine as it was soo unhealthy ( I was brought up on so much sugar and processed food) and luckliy both my lo's are pretty good with healthy food and vegs. The only bad thing I sent in once, was a few ghost crisps for Halloween as I thought it would be something sweet for my DD, they came back and were NOT allowed to be eaten! :( I wouldn't mind but usually her snack box is so good, fruit, brown bread sarnies, yougurt, carrot sticks ect ... have never put chocolate, sweets, cakes ect incase I am shot at dawn lol They were not allowed to eat?! I hope they dont start imposing fines for sending "unhealthy" food in OUR children's box! ;)
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 11:05
Lakeland is a kitchen store. I go to the one in MOE beside Monsoon. can spend ages and a fortune in there!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:59
Do you repeat things from your school snacks? I never got cakes/treats/crisps etc in my lunch, and I have never given them to my kids (although the maids have slipped things in over the years, but not on a daily basis). My kids swear that the other kids sometimes only bring in family size bags of cheetos and cakes/sweets......I cannot believe that any child would be sent to school without ONE healthy thing, even a cheese stick or a white bread sandwich...but my kids have been telling me for years. The other thing that grates on me is juice. It is bad for the kids, terrible for their teeth and should be banned! Parents seem to think it is healthy because it says fruit. I don't think 1 carton of fruit juice is that bad by any means, unadulterated that is, no added rubbish. It provides Vit C, children drink it when all too often they don't drink enough water during the day. It's part of a healthy diet, all in moderation is the key to nutrition. That’s exactly what I used to think until I visited the dentist for the first time with my DD and she had badly stained teeth, considering she never drank sodas, had sweets a few times month and only ever used to have maximum a cartoon of juice (pure juice, not with added sugar) a day to nursery. Apparently this was enough to damage her teeth (I used to drink about the same amount of juice and far more sweets growing up, so I guess it’s about luck as well….). That may be the case Vera, and sorry that was your case, but my kids have perfect teeth and drink and eat loads of stuff deemed *bad*. A lot has to do with your individual teeth and cleaning program, some just have weaker teeth than others, just how it is.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:53
This is a difficult question, I can't quite remember! I am pretty sure I used to have sandwiches but I can't remember what was in them. As well as the sandwich I think I had crisps, snack size chocolate bars, cake bars, fruit, raw veg - a selection of and not all of these every day I might add! For a drink I either had pineapple juice or a can of coke. I also used to buy the occasional large greasy sausage roll from the school tuck shop. I am sure that most parents these days would be horrified by my lunchbox contents but they didn't do me any harm and I was always of normal weight! Edited to add that I can't believe that kids here are not allowed to eat certain things that their parents send with them! I can understand the nut thing because of severe allergies but what business is it of the school if you wish to put a treat in your child's lunch box?! If they consider that you are pumping your child full of nothing but rubbish then they should have a word with you but a treat amongst the healthy stuff isn't the end of the world surely? <em>edited by dibdab on 29/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:41
Do you repeat things from your school snacks? I never got cakes/treats/crisps etc in my lunch, and I have never given them to my kids (although the maids have slipped things in over the years, but not on a daily basis). My kids swear that the other kids sometimes only bring in family size bags of cheetos and cakes/sweets......I cannot believe that any child would be sent to school without ONE healthy thing, even a cheese stick or a white bread sandwich...but my kids have been telling me for years. The other thing that grates on me is juice. It is bad for the kids, terrible for their teeth and should be banned! Parents seem to think it is healthy because it says fruit. I don't think 1 carton of fruit juice is that bad by any means, unadulterated that is, no added rubbish. It provides Vit C, children drink it when all too often they don't drink enough water during the day. It's part of a healthy diet, all in moderation is the key to nutrition.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:14
I try to make my DD's lunch box the opposite to mine as it was soo unhealthy ( I was brought up on so much sugar and processed food) and luckliy both my lo's are pretty good with healthy food and vegs. The only bad thing I sent in once, was a few ghost crisps for Halloween as I thought it would be something sweet for my DD, they came back and were NOT allowed to be eaten! :( I wouldn't mind but usually her snack box is so good, fruit, brown bread sarnies, yougurt, carrot sticks ect ... have never put chocolate, sweets, cakes ect incase I am shot at dawn lol
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:06
Do you repeat things from your school snacks? I never got cakes/treats/crisps etc in my lunch, and I have never given them to my kids (although the maids have slipped things in over the years, but not on a daily basis). My kids swear that the other kids sometimes only bring in family size bags of cheetos and cakes/sweets......I cannot believe that any child would be sent to school without ONE healthy thing, even a cheese stick or a white bread sandwich...but my kids have been telling me for years. The other thing that grates on me is juice. It is bad for the kids, terrible for their teeth and should be banned! Parents seem to think it is healthy because it says fruit.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:05
I was the kid that was always looked at weird with the homemade bread. Everyone else had bought bread. Sandwiches were: cheese, peanut butter, nutella, bacon, balogna (sp?). Choc. chip granola bar. choc. milk or juice. oh you poor darling having home made bread!! The highlight of my lunchbox was marmite sandwiches with chips in them!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 10:00
Heinz tomato soup in a little thermos and a cheese roll. If I was lucky I got a penguin :) My kids love cold gnocchi with a little tomato pesto mixed in, sushi, any form of left overs from dinner in a thermos (lakeland have the perfect size thermos) If theres left over pizza in there lunchbox I'm wonder mum for a whole 24 hours. Blueberry and oatmeal pancakes is another favourite. Jeez how times change! excuse my ignorance, but what/where is Lakeland?
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 09:59
Cheese sandwich (white bread), chocolate bar, packet of crisps. Every. Single. Day. Mine was very similar, sometimes had jam instead of cheese and a flask of cocoa (one of those old fashioned thermos flasks with the metal outside and the inside made of glass) - I'm giving my age away with this :) We weren't allowed to bring oranges to school as the head said they made the class room smell too much. Cakes were ok though! oranges, what a terrible, awful smell!!:\:
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 09:52
Beef paste, sandwich spread or luncheon meat sandwich on White bread (crusts cut off!), flask of warm orange squash, home made cake or blue ribband biscuit and a piece of fruit that travelled back and forwards all week!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 09:51
Oooooooooh ! I'd forgotten about the cornflake tart and the chocolate sponge. Another one I loved was semolina with apricots and shortbread. I can remember most things about my childhood and school, but don't ask me about yesterday ! I went to a mixed secondary school and we had a very strict, but fair, Head. The boys didn't dare put a foot wrong or wobetide them. Those were the days when teachers were permitted to discipline their pupils and children could go off on their bikes for the day and parents would know they wouldn't come to any harm.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 09:02
school dinners or you had to go home for lunch ! most times I used to go home and never went back ! ha ah school dinners consisted of cheese pie, fish fingers, fish and chips on a friday ... Mash served with an ice cream scoop and beetroot and the mash did turn pink ! but the puddings .. oh they were the best .. chocolate sponge with chocolate custard... vanilla cake served with PINK custard ... that was the best ! Cornflake tart that you couldnt break with a spoon ! Cheese and crackers, Rice Pudding with Jam or Brown Sugar, Treacle Sponge with really thick Custard which always had a skin ... og the memories :) we also had milk in a glass bottle with a straw served before hometime !
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 08:44
when I was little, my grandfather who lived on Slater st in Downtown Ottawa, still had milk delivered by horse and cart. The bottles were glass with paper tops!!! no kidding, that is how they did it in the city and I loved to feed the horse lol..and....because they still had an old fridge their ice was delivered by a different set of horses lol....so I might be up there in the age scale Amelia :)...damn.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 07:43
I had one of the plastic lunchboxes with a matching flask haha This was only because my Uncle worked on the oilrigs and had plenty of cash back then and when he visited he always bought us the latest things and my lunchbox was one of them!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 07:42
Cheese sandwich (white bread), chocolate bar, packet of crisps. Every. Single. Day. Or paste sndwiches, usually beef yuk and a club/wagon wheel or penguin haha
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 06:19
oh JoyceB!!! Caramel cake with caramel custard!! memories! Was that just a scottish thing? And there is NOTHing in the world like school macaroni cheese!!! so yummy!
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 02:10
Alismum - I am 'pre Smash' so think I must be a bit older than you !! In fact, I think I am probably the oldest poster on EW, lol SueB - When I was at primary school, our milk bottles had cardboard tops ! @ SueB - what a relief to read somebody talking about "primary" school. Am i the only person here who has no idea about the way the schools grade things nowadays? Granted, we have no children so would have no reason to know but what was wrong with the old way? First year, second year etc? Agree! And what's all this "trimester" stuff? We talked about sessions according to the season of the year. Primary school and High school with 1st year and so on. Ham and egg pie, stew and dumplings, caramel custard with caramel cake etc. I too was like a rake and we ran about in the playground. No such thing as playground supervisors either but woe betide you if the janny (janitor) saw any fights or bad behaviour! These were the days :D
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 01:49
Alismum - I am 'pre Smash' so think I must be a bit older than you !! In fact, I think I am probably the oldest poster on EW, lol SueB - When I was at primary school, our milk bottles had cardboard tops ! @ SueB - what a relief to read somebody talking about "primary" school. Am i the only person here who has no idea about the way the schools grade things nowadays? Granted, we have no children so would have no reason to know but what was wrong with the old way? First year, second year etc?
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 23:24
Alismum - I am 'pre Smash' so think I must be a bit older than you !! In fact, I think I am probably the oldest poster on EW, lol SueB - When I was at primary school, our milk bottles had cardboard tops ! I think you probably win with that one:) We had foil tops.
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 22:52
Alismum - I am 'pre Smash' so think I must be a bit older than you !! In fact, I think I am probably the oldest poster on EW, lol SueB - When I was at primary school, our milk bottles had cardboard tops !
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 22:37
no school dinners. You brought lunch. or . went home for lunch.....have no idea what the desk lunch kids had..I assume a sandwich and cookie :)...milk was distributed.
Latest post on 28 November 2011 - 22:29
no lunch boxes (didn't exist), but proper school meals I didn't have a proper lunch box, the sandwich was wrapped in greaseproof paper, usually from the last loaf of bread!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY