Expats and National Day | ExpatWoman.com

Expats and National Day

Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 19:51

I have lived here since 1995 and really want to decorate my car with UAE colours and a flag to congratulate the UAE on the 40 yr anniversary and because as a family we have been really happy here.

Would it be considered a cheek by the Emiratis, I wouldn't want to tread on anyone's toes? What are other expats doing?

Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 17:08
Some nice pics of events that took place in the run up to National Day. Loving the Sharjah equestrian one and the Dubai Modern High School event in Safa park. Nice pics!! http://gulfnews.com/pictures/news/time-to-celebrate-1.939548
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 00:34
Bought two flags and two huge pictures of the Rulers of dubai which change depending on which way you look at it and a huge flag for the rear window with I Love UAE on it - kinda cool only problem is our windows are 25% tinted and you can bearly see the things ! went to Wellington this morning and it was fab- the whole school was celebrating starting off with a huge camel at the entrance and balloons in the national colours all over the floors held down with weights and ribbons - all of the teachers had gone to the effort of either getting something made or wearing colours - fabulous a real camel? :) probably !! we had a real one at school the other day - had the same one, and his lovely owner (?) last year...
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 20:14
Just be careful where you stick things on your car and make sure nothing obscures your vision. I've seen the police pulling people over and forcing them to remove some decorations. I like what people are doing, it looks great :)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:38
Bought two flags and two huge pictures of the Rulers of dubai which change depending on which way you look at it and a huge flag for the rear window with I Love UAE on it - kinda cool only problem is our windows are 25% tinted and you can bearly see the things ! went to Wellington this morning and it was fab- the whole school was celebrating starting off with a huge camel at the entrance and balloons in the national colours all over the floors held down with weights and ribbons - all of the teachers had gone to the effort of either getting something made or wearing colours - fabulous a real camel? :)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:43
Bought two flags and two huge pictures of the Rulers of dubai which change depending on which way you look at it and a huge flag for the rear window with I Love UAE on it - kinda cool only problem is our windows are 25% tinted and you can bearly see the things ! went to Wellington this morning and it was fab- the whole school was celebrating starting off with a huge camel at the entrance and balloons in the national colours all over the floors held down with weights and ribbons - all of the teachers had gone to the effort of either getting something made or wearing colours - fabulous
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:39
BM, lol at the socks. I had a very in depth conversation with the manager of Aswaaq. Why I asked were the socks marked XL, but for small cars. It actually said on the packet for large cars, eg prado you need XXL. so who gets small then?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:36
I have the flags on my car and many expats have their cars done too. We had a great morning at the National Day celebrations at school today, and our Sheikh came in and made a speech *grin*. DS (blonde hair, blue eyes) is wearing a UAE flag t-shirt and has had his photo taken plus had lots of locals point and smile. I heard of one family refusing to join in and kept their kids off school because "It's not our day" (so they'll be going into work tomorrow then). What nonsense! We have been invited to join in and celebrate.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:29
Amazing to see some of the areas draped in flags - Warqaa ( ?) on the way to Mirdiff CC ...cut out hearts with photos and strings of flags - amazing! :D
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 11:27
we just had the best national day celebrations at work, men dancing with yola, school girls doing a play - it was fab and the music still blaring..... feeling all happy and loved up for the UAE :)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 11:22
my socks wouldn't fit the mirrors. Am quite devastated. :D LOL to feather boa! I had the flowery boa thing taped to the back window but DH removed it.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 11:20
Well my car has the window flags and the socks for the mirrors. I wanted to add the feather boa but DH put his foot down with a firm hand. We have flags in all the pots outside the front gate, more than a number of houses on our street and some are locals??
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 10:34
i was down in satwa on saturday watching heaps of locals get their cars decorated - they were loving the fact that i was weighed down with national day items and were asking when i was taking my car down there! so no, you won't be offending anyone.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 10:30
You could always waste 130, 000 dhs on crystals on your car to show your respect? :\: Hilarious! :)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 10:24
Are you and your car decorated BNBH? Loving it too!!! :)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 10:05
I'm loving it. I drive the beach road daily and everyday more people have added their huge flags and bunting. and of course the cars. I did see one yesterday at Aswaaq with lots and lots of bling, not the one from 7 days, but very sparkley.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 10:02
Gina to answer your question, a Local chap has just said to us how happy it makes him to see expats sharing and joining in with their celebrations, I thought of you :)
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:05
;)
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:05
:-P Now how did I know...
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:04
I have to say that I think it is great seeing all the flags all over the place but as usual, you get the people who have to do it bigger than the next.....I wonder if they will leave all these banners and flags up for a while? It would be nice. I can imagine that BM is having a " swooning" everytime she goes into any of the shops as there is so much UAE stuff available.
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:04
We are actively being encouraged to join in, to be part of the celebrations and unite with our hosts! 50% of the flags I've seen over the last week have been from expat drivers :)
Latest post on 29 November 2011 - 20:00
I wouldn't have thought so, afterall it is all about unity. SM, I saw that - geez what good could really have been done with that cash - such a shame.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY