Is it too much to expect a decent sized carrier bag when you buy an expensive dress in Debenhams? | ExpatWoman.com

Is it too much to expect a decent sized carrier bag when you buy an expensive dress in Debenhams?

Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 06:37

and that it NOT be folded into the size of a postage stamp????

I think I recall posting this before but it happened again yesterday. Why would someone fold up a dress like a tea towel and try to put it in a bag about 6 - 8 inches across?:\:

This seriously pisses me off especially when I have trawled through the overpriced limited stuff that they have here - I went online last night and could have wept when I saw what is on sale in the UK.

Ah the joys of Christmas shopping here! Not! :(

Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 12:18
At least you get bags there - god in the UK I'm asked every single day would I like a bag and I get to pay extra for it! I have to get into the routine of carrying spare bags around with me and it's taking me ages to get into the swing of it. I then decided to buy into the 'bag for life' thing - but........ I've got that many 'bags for life' and still keep forgetting them...... just one of many changes that happened in the UK while I was living in Dubai and something I just have to get used to and remember to [b'>take my old bags with me!!!! [/b'>Don't get me on having to fill my car up with petrol myself - I swear I will never ever get used to that! my husband always takes an old bag shopping with him....... HAHAHAHA!
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 12:15
PS I suppose it's too much to expect stores to actually steam clothes before hanging them. A steamer is about 500dhs for a good one, not like it's expesive investment for a clothing store...
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 12:14
Annoying!! It's not like it's hard to fold clothes neatly but quickly either! I used to work in a shop selling v v expensove clothes and we used to wrap everything in tissue or in the case of gowns in a garment bag!!! It's just shoddy training and/or lazy attitude of staff who can't be bothered. Girl scrunched up a dress once in front of me to shove it in a too small bag, I asked her if she had a larger and was told 'no maam'. So I took the dress out of the bag and showed her how to do it properly but so it would still fit. She actually thanked me and said no one ever showed her how to fold the clothes!!! :O
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 12:09
grrr it's the same at Next here too. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the clothes are extremely creased here too, like they've been lying round in a box or something. Spongemonkey I feel your pain, but I was overjoyed to see a dress I paid £35 for in Debs is about £60 here, plus a necklace I bought at home for £2 in the sale has come out here full price at 85 dirham!!!! Desperate for a shopping trip to England...
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 11:16
When I lived in Dubai I was buying a very expensive lingerie set and the cashier (male) sneezed over them and was just about to wipe his nose before putting said items in a bag. Needless to say I decided not to make the purchase!!!!!
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 00:38
At least you get bags there - god in the UK I'm asked every single day would I like a bag and I get to pay extra for it! I have to get into the routine of carrying spare bags around with me and it's taking me ages to get into the swing of it. I then decided to buy into the 'bag for life' thing - but........ I've got that many 'bags for life' and still keep forgetting them...... just one of many changes that happened in the UK while I was living in Dubai and something I just have to get used to and remember to [b'>take my old bags with me!!!! [/b'>Don't get me on having to fill my car up with petrol myself - I swear I will never ever get used to that! my husband always takes an old bag shopping with him....... So does mine lol
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 00:37
At least you get bags there - god in the UK I'm asked every single day would I like a bag and I get to pay extra for it! I have to get into the routine of carrying spare bags around with me and it's taking me ages to get into the swing of it. I then decided to buy into the 'bag for life' thing - but........ I've got that many 'bags for life' and still keep forgetting them...... just one of many changes that happened in the UK while I was living in Dubai and something I just have to get used to and remember to [b'>take my old bags with me!!!! [/b'>Don't get me on having to fill my car up with petrol myself - I swear I will never ever get used to that! my husband always takes an old bag shopping with him.......
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 00:29
At least you get bags there - god in the UK I'm asked every single day would I like a bag and I get to pay extra for it! I have to get into the routine of carrying spare bags around with me and it's taking me ages to get into the swing of it. I then decided to buy into the 'bag for life' thing - but........ I've got that many 'bags for life' and still keep forgetting them...... just one of many changes that happened in the UK while I was living in Dubai and something I just have to get used to and remember to [b'>take my old bags with me!!!! [/b'>Don't get me on having to fill my car up with petrol myself - I swear I will never ever get used to that! my husband always takes an old bag shopping with him.......
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 20:40
Did you ask them to use a bigger bag? You don't ask, you don't get :) Of course!!!!! :D
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:59
The other day I picked up several dresses took them into the changing room (with my 2 lo's) firstly can only take X amount in the changing room (grrrr) then go out to get the rest and guess what ........................ the idiot girl has only taken my stuff and gone to hang it back up in the shop before I have even had a chance to get it in the changing room. GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:58
Did you ask them to use a bigger bag? You don't ask, you don't get :)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:57
Debenhams has to be the worst shop I’ve ever had the misfortune to enter, it’s a second rate department store in the UK. I don’t know why I bothered to look inside the other day, It reminded me of a charity shop back home. Lol
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:39
i just love getting home and unpacking bruised apples.....
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:37
It's like the Choitrams staff on Al Wasl road - they throw the food down the belt. It's expensive enough as it is and they know that. Would they do this IF paying that amount for food? Only go in there if desperate...
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:35
Im so sick of cashiers stuffing my new clothes into carrier backs its just so dam disrespectable!! Its my new purchase that im pleased with and want to spend my money on and they just shove it into a bag, i always have a go at them and they just look at me as if im mad - tut! I wonder if they would do the same if they were buying it?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:33
Im so sick of cashiers stuffing my new clothes into carrier backs its just so dam disrespectable!! Its my new purchase that im pleased with and want to spend my money on and they just shove it into a bag, i always have a go at them and they just look at me as if im mad - tut!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:13
Debenhams has to be the worst shop I’ve ever had the misfortune to enter, it’s a second rate department store in the UK. I don’t know why I bothered to look inside the other day, It reminded me of a charity shop back home.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:55
At least you get bags there - god in the UK I'm asked every single day would I like a bag and I get to pay extra for it! I have to get into the routine of carrying spare bags around with me and it's taking me ages to get into the swing of it. I then decided to buy into the 'bag for life' thing - but........ I've got that many 'bags for life' and still keep forgetting them...... just one of many changes that happened in the UK while I was living in Dubai and something I just have to get used to and remember to take my old bags with me!!!! Don't get me on having to fill my car up with petrol myself - I swear I will never ever get used to that!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:33
and yes there are days when I realise I have to leave before I get arrested!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:32
Well it's a good way of SAVING money because I also can't stand handing in the aforementioned crushed up dress in its tiny bag to somebody who wants to put staples into it then so I don't go into shops!!! :D
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 07:53
So SM - you had a good day shopping yesterday?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 07:51
it also irritates when they manage to put the 5 items i bought from spinney's into 7 bags; all the size of a packet of smokes..... 5 items will fit in one normal sized carrier bag!!!!! :-P So true! The complete opposite when you don't need it!!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 07:50
I also tried to buy a Wi Fi printer yesterday - in MOE too. I may as well have been asking for a two horned red and purple shitcrasp for all the help that I got. In Jackys they are all lounging over the counter looking at their personal mobile phones and they know nothing - they come along and read the signs out to me - Yes well I can do that too! And then they don't know the price - the usual, have to go and ask . Why? It does not inspire you with confidence that they are going to know anything about the product. In Carre4 I got the usual pointing to the most expensive one and saying " this would be a good machine for you" - really, you can tell that just by looking??? At least he knew what Wi Fi was.....
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 07:48
it also irritates when they manage to put the 5 items i bought from spinney's into 7 bags; all the size of a packet of smokes..... 5 items will fit in one normal sized carrier bag!!!!!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY