Anyone ever lived in Muscat? Help | ExpatWoman.com

Anyone ever lived in Muscat? Help

Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 13:45

My hubby just phoned saying there is a chance he might need to start working there in 2 weeks time. He has asked me to look into moving there? I've had a look at the Oman section here but there is not but info.
Can anyone give me some info. Our current budget is 150,000 AED. Could we get something nice for equivalent price? Is it difficult to get a place at the British School? How is the shopping (grocery etc.). Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't drive so is it easy to get around?
Many thanks

Latest post on 31 March 2014 - 12:47
Hi We are in the process of moving to Muscat, I also don't drive, we have an interview with BSM for my 13 year old daughter , please could you let me know about taxis?cost etc, we were thinking of living in MSQ, due to schooling, however I would have preferred to live further out, however due to the fact there are no school buses, I don't think we have a choice, any ideas???? Alternatively you could learn to drive or hire a driver. Personally i would not put any child of mine in a taxi daily. <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 31/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 31 March 2014 - 12:28
Hi We are in the process of moving to Muscat, I also don't drive, we have an interview with BSM for my 13 year old daughter , please could you let me know about taxis?cost etc, we were thinking of living in MSQ, due to schooling, however I would have preferred to live further out, however due to the fact there are no school buses, I don't think we have a choice, any ideas????
Latest post on 31 March 2014 - 12:24
Staying in dubai isn't going to be an option if the move goes ahead. It will either be that we go Muscat or 2 years of go back home. It looks like it will depend on getting a school place. Is there school buses? I don't mind not being able to go out and about too much as long as I have a nice home. I quite like the sound of Muscat and I don't mind leaving Dubai. no buses as such apparently (at least at our school)...I'm getting a driver for the school run, pretty easy to find a taxi driver who will commit to the daily pick up. (I don't drive either). Apparently some families in different areas do club together and hire a driver/van for the school run.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 17:50
The wave actually has an onsite office for lets/selling as far as I know...most of the agents we have come across have a few places in the wave as well, but they will tell you that they're as 'rare as hens teeth'...best if hubby can go to the site office i think unless someone comes up with a better contact. I had a friens who had her child in TLC and her exact words were, she would have LOVED to have kept her there far longer, I've chatted with teachers etc round and about the region and none have had a bad word to say about TLC, so am surprised with negative reviews. Fingers crossed, we'll sign on our place this week, phew!
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 17:39
Thanks for all the reassuring words ladies! I did go to Muscat for a day and a half so clearly didn't have the time to visit it all but seems so pretty. I'm sure I will find my own feet quickly! It's just a matter of finding a house now... Desert rose you wouldn't know by any chance who are the main agents dealing with the wave? Thanks again Myriam
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 16:59
Never lived in Muscat but spent 2 Christmas periods there while we were in Doha. Such a different atmosphere with much nicer people. We met some expats who had lived all over the ME including Doha and Dubai and they loved Oman in general as it was far friendlier and more relaxed which was something we noticed from the first landing!
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 16:45
I lived in Muscat for 7 years and loved it, have since lived in Abu Dhabi and now Qatar and Muscat been the best by a long way. Ok will admit the shopping isn't great and not so many hotels to dine at as Abu Dhabi and Qatar but I just loved the way of life in Muscat. I used to think the driving was bad in Muscat but it is a dream compared from anywhere else. I lived at The Wave for the last year I was in Muscat and imo the best and most modern housing in Muscat. It is a bit further away but was worth the extra travel to and from BSM. You are so lucky to get the offer to move to Muscat. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 16:36
Thanks Myriambill. It is good that you got a place, I know that I shouldn't believe everything I read. People tend to only post negative comments or make complaints rather than the opposite. It might not happen for us but I kind of hope does. I find Dubai a bit manic, think I would be much more suited to Muscat. If we go, I am sure our DD will be at TLC or TAISM. Best of luck again with the move.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 15:33
DesertRose thanks for reassuring me about the traffic! My son has secured a place at TLC,not our first choice but will see how it goes; if we end up liking it he will then stay there for the following academic year. Bodabz, my son is in FS1 so totally different class group to your little one, but I once again called Royal Flight and BSM and the waiting lists are looong. If I were you i'de apply to other schools as well ei: TLC or Muscat International. I'm so stressed right now as my husband only told me we were going for sure yesterday and I'm meant to pack my house, sell few things and sort out our car loan in 20 days, as well as having guests over Christmas. On top of that we know we want to live in the wave but have no idea how to find a place in such a small space of time whilst being in dubai :-@ Apart from that I'm looking forward to a new adventure! Bodabz keep positive as things always end up falling into place eventually :)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 15:33
DesertRose thanks for reassuring me about the traffic! My son has secured a place at TLC,not our first choice but will see how it goes; if we end up liking it he will then stay there for the following academic year. Bodabz, my son is in FS1 so totally different class group to your little one, but I once again called Royal Flight and BSM and the waiting lists are looong. If I were you i'de apply to other schools as well ei: TLC or Muscat International. I'm so stressed right now as my husband only told me we were going for sure yesterday and I'm meant to pack my house, sell few things and sort out our car loan in 20 days, as well as having guests over Christmas. On top of that we know we want to live in the wave but have no idea how to find a place in such a small space of time whilst being in dubai :-@ Apart from that I'm looking forward to a new adventure! Bodabz keep positive as things always end up falling into place eventually :)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 13:25
We are still waiting to hear if we are going to have to move but it is now looking more likely. Unfortunately I have only read negative reviews regarding TAISM and TLC schools. I am unable to get a place at the BSM or ABA which are my preferred choices. Myriambill - did you manage to secure a place yet? Has anyone got positive reviews regarding TAISM or TLC. I also like the sound of the PDO school but have not yet contacted them. It will be damaging to my husband's career if we don't relocate but we cannot go without a good school place.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 12:32
Glad to be of help. Distance wise TLC is only 10 mins max from the wave.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 12:17
Thanks DesertRose. This was really useful, I hadn't come across this school. My daughter is 5 years old. This certainly looks like an option. I've called some other schools but basically stand no chance of getting a place. My daughter currently goes to a very small school so TLC may be just the right place for her.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 11:33
Can someone tell me what school is closet to The Wave complex? Thanks. I dont know what class you'd be looking for a place in but TLC is closest to The Wave. Its a very new school but one that I think would be worth a look if only because I know one of the teachers and she is excellent at what she does. I've also seen the children out and about and they seem a lovely lot. Keep in mind that the school currently has a very small amount of pupils. The British School and ABA are very close to each other, about 5 mins apart. The Royal Flight School is opposite the airport and the second closest to the wave.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 11:25
Hi At the moment we are in a limbo as unless we find out where my son will eventually get a place it will be rather hard to choose where to live as the traffic in Muscat is horrid and you can easily spend one and a half hour stuck during school runs. I wish you the best of luck and may see u in muscat! Myriam, the new superhighway opened a while back and traffic isnt bad at all now. The days of an hour and half stuck in trafic jams are long gone. The school run from the Wave to ABA takes 35 minutes if you go across the road to city centre, down to the airport and then along the new super highway to ABA. It would be another 5 mins to The British School. You would leave home at 6.30 at the latest. From Azaiba or Ghubrah you can pick the superhighway up by going across to Bausher. The return journey is quicker by about 5-7 mins. I would say you could safely live as far out as the wave, not that it is far out in real terms, and get your son to school with ease traffic wise in the morning.
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 11:21
Thanks Myriambill. We should hear over the next few days if we have to move or not. Thanks to the advice on here we will say it is subject to a school place (to be sourced by the company) if we are asked to go. I do like the sound of Muscat, I personally am not a huge fan of Dubai. Lets wait and see what happens. Best of luck with your move.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 17:43
Hi bodabz we are going to move to muscat in jan and as a result I've been looking at schools and housing for a while now. In terms of schools the only British ones are BSM in Madinat Qaboos, Royal Flight in al Seeb and TLC also in Al Seeb. We applied to all the above and none have a space for my son, who is currently in fs1. There is a huge problem whith schools inMuscat as there aren't as many as in Dubai therefore the demand is much higher....you may want to start applying, you don't need to pay to fill in the application form btw... In terms of housing I think the main residential areas for expats are Madinat Qaboos, Azaiba and the Wave. At the moment we are in a limbo as unless we find out where my son will eventually get a place it will be rather hard to choose where to live as the traffic in Muscat is horrid and you can easily spend one and a half hour stuck during school runs. I wish you the best of luck and may see u in muscat!
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 15:53
Can someone tell me what school is closet to The Wave complex? Thanks.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 08:38
Staying in dubai isn't going to be an option if the move goes ahead. It will either be that we go Muscat or 2 years of go back home. It looks like it will depend on getting a school place. Is there school buses? I don't mind not being able to go out and about too much as long as I have a nice home. I quite like the sound of Muscat and I don't mind leaving Dubai. no buses as such apparently (at least at our school)...I'm getting a driver for the school run, pretty easy to find a taxi driver who will commit to the daily pick up. (I don't drive either). Apparently some families in different areas do club together and hire a driver/van for the school run.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 08:30
Staying in dubai isn't going to be an option if the move goes ahead. It will either be that we go Muscat or 2 years of go back home. It looks like it will depend on getting a school place. Is there school buses? I don't mind not being able to go out and about too much as long as I have a nice home. I quite like the sound of Muscat and I don't mind leaving Dubai.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 17:09
Thanks everyone. Hmmm. it doesn't sound too promising. I thought I had heard about school place problems there. It might only be a short term posting so might be best if my hubby commutes and DD and I stay put for now. My hubby is in the Oil Industry. What are the compound names that they are in? OIl workers can live at PDO if they are employed by them. I'm not sure about sub-contractors. But I would put money on there being more oil workers living out of PDO than there is in - its a huge company and they cant accomodate everyone. When replying to you I did think - this lady should stay put in dubai if she can.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 17:08
anyone in musat want to rent me a home? 4 to 5 beddy in Azaiba or Al Hail? anyone? anyone at all.....?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 17:05
Thanks everyone. Hmmm. it doesn't sound too promising. I thought I had heard about school place problems there. It might only be a short term posting so might be best if my hubby commutes and DD and I stay put for now. My hubby is in the Oil Industry. What are the compound names that they are in? OIl workers can live at PDO if they are employed by them. I'm not sure about sub-contractors. But I would put money on there being more oil workers living out of PDO than there is in - its a huge company and they cant accomodate everyone. When replying to you I did think - this lady should stay put in dubai if she can.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 16:09
Thanks everyone. Hmmm. it doesn't sound too promising. I thought I had heard about school place problems there. It might only be a short term posting so might be best if my hubby commutes and DD and I stay put for now. My hubby is in the Oil Industry. What are the compound names that they are in?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 15:52
The BSM always has a waiting list but you could be lucky... in my opinion its the best school (my son went there) There is also ABA but that is not british curric. People do not live in gated communities in Muscat apart from the oil workers. Everyone just lives in normal villas in the community. The closest you will get to here is the Wave... but that is quite a way out from the school which are the other end of the city. Any questions you have you can mail me on amintoft at yahoo dot co dot uk. Also take a look on Omanforum.com thats how I found alot of my answers when I moved there. I now live in Dubai.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 15:50
There's two other schools to consider - ABA and TAISM. ABA does the IB and I'm not sure about TAISM. Have a look on their websites and see whats what. And I dont want to sound like a party pooper but I think its realistic to say that places dont come easy in any of the schools. If you dont drive here you'll find life very difficult and the only place you could live and realistically cycle to the shops is Medinat Qaboos or the Wave, however the latter only has a smallish supermarket but is Al Fair. There is also a Dr's in MQ. Its called medident and DR Mustafa, a UK trained GP, is wonderful. As for cycling about outside of MQ or the Wave, and even that wouldnt be for the feint hearted - ye gods no. As for driving - over the last few years it has deteriorted dreadfully and is a major worry if you've lived here long enough to know just how its deteriorated. It wasnt always like this. :( I honestly dont know how you'll manage here because places are well spread out and there is no public transport as such to speak of. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 30/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 15:09
Thanks Azaiba. Does anyone know what other schools people choose after the British School? Is there school bus services? I currently live in a very large gated community and I can cycle to the shops, Doctors etc. Is there anything like this in Muscat? Is the driving worse than Dubai?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 13:54
I live in Muscat. I understand it is difficult to get places at The British School. If you did secure a place and do not drive you will need to look for accommodation in the MQ area (Madinat Qaboos). Taxis are not a great option here because of the terrible driving. Shopping, there are not the numerous malls that you have in Dubai which personally I enjoy. There is Al Fair Supermarket in the MQ area which is similar to Spinney's in Dubai. Cluttons and Hamptons are two real estate agencies you might want to contact in Muscat. It is a much nicer place to live than Dubai in my opinion.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY