Rant | ExpatWoman.com

Rant

Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 12:34
if you don't want their help (bags in the car, guidance when parking etc) just tell them no thank you - there's plenty of ppl who will need their help and tip them for it lol
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 10:39
Baggers in the USA are not allowed to accept tips either.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 10:16
Thats really sad, Crazy that they would go so far as to fire someone for getting a tip of a couple of Dhs :( Really like the staff at motor city. Always bring my own bags and They always pack my stuff the way I would do it. Unlike Hubby who drives me insane! There is def an art to the order that you take the items out of the trolley and into the bags. Going to be paranoid now, World going nuts!
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 09:59
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=62916
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 09:54
Guys in Spinneys, Motor city do except tips. Not allowed to in the store but if they help me with my shopping to the car I always tip and they never refuse. Well they are not supposed to! (I don't agree with it) They brought in a new rule a while back... I forgot and offered them a tip for helping me and they told me "they are not allowed"!
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 09:46
Guys in Spinneys, Motor city do except tips. Not allowed to in the store but if they help me with my shopping to the car I always tip and they never refuse.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 09:34
I only have issues with the Motor city lot! No worries with any others in all the time I've been here. There are too many of them in a small area! Have one to each block not 4/6 carts!!! Then they won't be standing around bored and generally getting in peoples way. Sorry but they are! sorry, i don't agree..takes 2 seconds to say no thanks and that's the end of it. One time i was going to go right but he motioned to go left cos he knew there were no spaces (which i couldn't see) and another time as i was backing out he stood watching for cars which i found most helpful.. I, too, have no problems with the EasyWash guys at Motor City. As has been said it just takes a couple of seconds to say, "no, thank you, I don't want my car washed today". I also find them helpful when they indicate spare car parking spaces closer to Spinneys - whether or not that's where I want to go - and I'll wave and say thank you. I also appreciate their help when I've got a full trolley from Spinneys including boxes of water and they help load it all into the car. I'm quite capable of doing this myself but their offer of help is appreciated. Yes, I know they only offer because they're hoping for a tip but, for heaven's sake, if I've got a pretty full trolley I've probably spent a fair amount. Is a couple of dirhams for a tip going to make a difference to me? No. If the guy gets a couple of dirhams a few times each day going to make a difference to him? Probably a big YES. And do you think its fair to be tipping them to put your bags in your car?! Imagine how the Spinneys guys feel they pack your bags, load the trolly and help put it into your car and are NOT allowed to accept tips! But see people giving the car washers tips, when in reality they should not be doing it and accepting money for it.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 07:04
... They have one of the worst jobs here imo - imagine being in a smelly multistorey carpark all day in the summer heat breathing in all the exhaust fumes. I think the same. How revolting having to work there all day every day. I often wonder about their long-term health. At least they are out of the sun I guess... Once I bought a whole lot of cold cans of Coke down from Spinneys for them...you know, one of those days when the car 'told me' it was 48 degrees outside. Poor fellas nearly cried with gratitude.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 07:00
No, I love them! How convenient to have your car washed while you are shopping! It beats going to a gas station here and waiting in line! Anyway, if you wave a refusal to them as soon as you see them, they will be gone before you even open your door. Oh I MISS them!!! I loved the convenience, loved the smile on their faces when I said "yes please" (and left a generous tip :) ), loved never having to wash car yet it was always spotless. Yep...clearly I'd love to be very lazy! I also found they were always happy to walk straight away and look for work elsewhere when I didn't need the car washed. Like Anon...a simple wave 'no thanks' before even pulling into a carpark.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 00:34
I only have issues with the Motor city lot! No worries with any others in all the time I've been here. There are too many of them in a small area! Have one to each block not 4/6 carts!!! Then they won't be standing around bored and generally getting in peoples way. Sorry but they are! sorry, i don't agree..takes 2 seconds to say no thanks and that's the end of it. One time i was going to go right but he motioned to go left cos he knew there were no spaces (which i couldn't see) and another time as i was backing out he stood watching for cars which i found most helpful.. I, too, have no problems with the EasyWash guys at Motor City. As has been said it just takes a couple of seconds to say, "no, thank you, I don't want my car washed today". I also find them helpful when they indicate spare car parking spaces closer to Spinneys - whether or not that's where I want to go - and I'll wave and say thank you. I also appreciate their help when I've got a full trolley from Spinneys including boxes of water and they help load it all into the car. I'm quite capable of doing this myself but their offer of help is appreciated. Yes, I know they only offer because they're hoping for a tip but, for heaven's sake, if I've got a pretty full trolley I've probably spent a fair amount. Is a couple of dirhams for a tip going to make a difference to me? No. If the guy gets a couple of dirhams a few times each day going to make a difference to him? Probably a big YES.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 23:58
I only have issues with the Motor city lot! No worries with any others in all the time I've been here. There are too many of them in a small area! Have one to each block not 4/6 carts!!! Then they won't be standing around bored and generally getting in peoples way. Sorry but they are! sorry, i don't agree..takes 2 seconds to say no thanks and that's the end of it. One time i was going to go right but he motioned to go left cos he knew there were no spaces (which i couldn't see) and another time as i was backing out he stood watching for cars which i found most helpful..
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 23:03
I have to agree with j shepherd the motor city guys are abit over the top, when u go there a few times a week to spinneys etc they do get on your nerves....they stand over u all the time..they might not mean any harm but they don't ask to help u they just stand very close and start getting your bags in the car...he even tried picking up my lo she had a nervous break down lol as she's very shy.... I had to laugh though i just had my car washed at the garage and he asked did I want it washed....he ended up laughing with me as I asked him does it need washing...:@
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 23:00
I've often had one of them waving me into or out of a spot - it's greatly appreciated with some of the a-holes who speed through the carparks or don't look where they're going: I had two at the same time today - guy infront of me stops and just to my left another driver reverses his car out of his spot without looking both ways and if I hadn't blasted my horn he'd have had me. At the same time the guy in front puts his car in reverse as he's decided to go left instead of right! They have one of the worst jobs here imo - imagine being in a smelly multistorey carpark all day in the summer heat breathing in all the exhaust fumes.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 22:53
and when they start giving me parking advice and standing behind my car waving their hands! UGH! I wanna shout "do you even drive?" LOL That's possibly one of the unkindest things I've read on here.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:18
and when they start giving me parking advice and standing behind my car waving their hands! UGH! I wanna shout "do you even drive?" LOL
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:07
As long as it's pre-approved, Aroha... of course, goes without saying really....
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:01
As long as it's pre-approved, Aroha...
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:53
And we are all entitled to our point of view after all! edited by JShepherd on 30/11/2011 are you sure? really really sure youre are allowed your own pov here? just asking;)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:40
And we are all entitled to our point of view after all! <em>edited by JShepherd on 30/11/2011</em>
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:39
Don't worry - you could say the sky is blue here and you will offend someone!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:38
Don't be so mean! Imagine if it was you doing that day in and day out in all weather just to scrap together a living. They offer a valuable service and are doing what they can to earn money to LIVE. Geez some people don't know they're born! Who ever said I was being mean? I just said I am fed up. I have been running errands all day, and have been asked a total of 5 times in one day. Of course it's a great concept, and the men are lovely and nice. It's just that after the 5th time... you get the point. I guess I am just used to washing my car myself back home and not having others do it for me. Maybe I should just delete this thread because people are getting offended, and that's not exactly what I was aiming for.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:36
I only have issues with the Motor city lot! No worries with any others in all the time I've been here. There are too many of them in a small area! Have one to each block not 4/6 carts!!! Then they won't be standing around bored and generally getting in peoples way. Sorry but they are!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:30
I've always found that if I say "No thank you" they are gone; they never try and persuade me or hassle me.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:27
Don't be so mean! Imagine if it was you doing that day in and day out in all weather just to scrap together a living. They offer a valuable service and are doing what they can to earn money to LIVE. Geez some people don't know they're born!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:20
I love the whole concept of it ! but so far I have not come across any pushy ones.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:15
I find them very sweet. Never had a problem being hassled by them.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:12
No, I love them! How convenient to have your car washed while you are shopping! It beats going to a gas station here and waiting in line! Anyway, if you wave a refusal to them as soon as you see them, they will be gone before you even open your door. That's my experience too. My car is so clean and for a pittance - wonder how much they take home? Probably somewhere between 500 and 800 a month...
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:08
No, I love them! How convenient to have your car washed while you are shopping! It beats going to a gas station here and waiting in line! Anyway, if you wave a refusal to them as soon as you see them, they will be gone before you even open your door. That's my experience too. My car is so clean and for a pittance - wonder how much they take home?
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:04
Any particualr ones? generally don't mind BUT the ones in Motor City are seriously getting on my wick and I am close to calling the company. There are FAR too many of them, there is little room in the car park as it is without them and there wash carts. They are always interfering in some way or another, telling me how to park, where to park, trying to get things in and out of my car, guiding people into a space I was waiting for first, they are highly annoying me!
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 17:59
found myself having it washed twice in one day as the guy looked so sad ! oh I know !

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY