Dogs from Thailand/animal world | ExpatWoman.com

Dogs from Thailand/animal world

Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 18:01

Hi, has anyone bought a dog from animal world in Jumeirah and/or from a Thai breeder?
I want to get a female Pomeranian puppy from Europe (holland, Spain) but unfortunately I am struggling to find any in the UAE and have only found 1 female pup which has been imported in from Thailand.
I am very nervous about buying her as I have no idea whether dogs from Thai breeders are generally healthy.
Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 15:53
... I agree with everything you have written! Except where you say if unethical breeding ceased there would be no need for shelters.... people will always take pets on not knowing/understanding the responsibility and unfortunately horrible people will still dump them! So regardless of ethical versus non ethical breeders there will sadly always be a need for shelters. ...except that, in my Utopia (lol, keep dreaming of that lately) there would be ONLY ethical breeders. It would be, as it SHOULD be, hard work to get a pup/kitten etc. Such breeders put people though the wringer before even considering letting them have one of their precious pups. If people had to prove their worth to get an animal in the first place and pay a small fortune for it, they'd be far less likely to dump it would they? In that scenario, if someone had a genuine need to re-home their pet, there would be long waiting lists of pre-approved homes ready to take them on. It would be interesting to see the 'dump rates' of ethically sourced pets. Lol...you need to excuse me. Some would say I'm an Aquarian therefore a dreamer. :D Apart from the Aquarian stuff i agree with every word Greenish.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:26
... I agree with everything you have written! Except where you say if unethical breeding ceased there would be no need for shelters.... people will always take pets on not knowing/understanding the responsibility and unfortunately horrible people will still dump them! So regardless of ethical versus non ethical breeders there will sadly always be a need for shelters. ...except that, in my Utopia (lol, keep dreaming of that lately) there would be ONLY ethical breeders. It would be, as it SHOULD be, hard work to get a pup/kitten etc. Such breeders put people though the wringer before even considering letting them have one of their precious pups. If people had to prove their worth to get an animal in the first place and pay a small fortune for it, they'd be far less likely to dump it would they? In that scenario, if someone had a genuine need to re-home their pet, there would be long waiting lists of pre-approved homes ready to take them on. It would be interesting to see the 'dump rates' of ethically sourced pets. Lol...you need to excuse me. Some would say I'm an Aquarian therefore a dreamer. :D
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 10:31
Its fine Greenish I already knew that that was the response i was going to get and haven't taken it personally at all - just wanted to give my account of what actually happened and also to say how surprised I was at the relationship Animal World has with Jumeirah Veterinary Clinic (you would certainly never guess it by seeing the shop!) :) I am not trying to support Animal World and I do think it is unethical and supports the industry, etc, etc, but I have my puppy who we adore and would not change her for the world. As I said though if and when we do add to our furbaby brood I would find an ethical breeder or adopt. I agree with everything you have written! Except where you say if unethical breeding ceased there would be no need for shelters.... people will always take pets on not knowing/understanding the responsibility and unfortunately horrible people will still dump them! So regardless of ethical versus non ethical breeders there will sadly always be a need for shelters.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 07:45
OK so I am going to get shot down for this but we actually bought our puppy from Animal World. My heart melted when I saw her and I didn't want to leave her there. She is now a year old and we have had no health issues with her whatsoever, so whilst I do agree it is not an ethical way to make an addition to your family it isn't true to say that all puppies from pet stores will be riddled with health issues. She wasn't from Thailand she was from Holland just for clarification (again I do know about puppy farms, etc, and I know that by buying her we are keeping them in business but I couldn't leave her in the cage!). One thing I do want to say is that whilst Animal World does seem like a pithole they actually have been working with Jumeirah Veterinary Clinic for many years. When you purchase a pet from them you can take them for a full check up at Jumeirah VC at Animal Worlds expense. Dr Michela actually told us that whilst she doesnt support pet shops selling animals they actually do medically take good care of them. Again before everyone jumps at me I am not saying that buying a pet from them or any other shop is the right thing to do I am just giving my honest account of my experience! When we make any more additions to our family we would definitely either adopt from an anmial shelter or seek out an ethical breeder. Please forgive the rant to follow. It's genuinely not directed only at you. I'm happy that your pup is healthy, so far at least. The country the pup comes from is irrelevant really...if it's for sale in a shop to the first person with the cash, it has been produced by people who treat animals as commodities and could not care less where they end up. Every animal purchased in these shops supports and encourages this vile trade. A few years ago, before I had further educated myself, I very nearly bought a terrier pup from the same shop. He had been there for months, was going out of his mind, was walked ONCE A WEEK and was clearly very ill. The lovely ladies in here reminded my that by "rescuing" him, I was dooming more pups to the same fate. Years later I still worry about what happened to that boy. :( My heart melts for every single pup/kitten/cavy/bird... in pet shops and my heart breaks to leave them there, but I WILL NOT give the shop my money which they then use to go out and buy ten more pups/kittens... It's a viscous cycle of cruelty to which every sale contributes. I'm not trying to shoot you down. I'm just trying to make sure anyone else who reads this thread does not find any reassurance from your post. LOL...I'm harsh on this topic! :D Yes, you got a healthy pup. Yes, they seem to give some health care (not that I ever saw a shred of evidence of that), but, in my opinion, it is NOT EVER OK to buy from these people (any pet shop) and encourage the industry. In blunt terms, if the unethical breeding of animals ceased, there would be no need for shelters! Imagine that. I'm absolutely, heart-breakingly aware that there will be trade in animals for as long as there are people not prepared to do the research and WAIT for an ethically bred pup. It has become my personal mission to try to change the minds of even just a few people. <em>edited by Green-ish on 06/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 12:12
I totally agree with you and I wish I could convince my husband to get another dog (or even 2).... would definitely get them from K9 friends this time and I even managed to convince my company to sponsor one of their kennels. My dog in the UK (who sadly died 6 years ago now) was a border collie cross we rescued from Battersea Dogs Home... she was born with cateracts and was completely crazy but a lovely dog. Glad :) good luck with making your decision.... :)
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 12:07
I totally agree with you and I wish I could convince my husband to get another dog (or even 2).... would definitely get them from K9 friends this time and I even managed to convince my company to sponsor one of their kennels. My dog in the UK (who sadly died 6 years ago now) was a border collie cross we rescued from Battersea Dogs Home... she was born with cateracts and was completely crazy but a lovely dog.
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 12:00
-_- "Its suppose to be a straight face" For once im not going to jump saying something bad, Glad you had a good experience, but feel bad for ALL the other doggies that are kept in cages for months and months in kennels, and dont even get taken out for free :(
Latest post on 04 December 2011 - 11:54
OK so I am going to get shot down for this but we actually bought our puppy from Animal World. My heart melted when I saw her and I didn't want to leave her there. She is now a year old and we have had no health issues with her whatsoever, so whilst I do agree it is not an ethical way to make an addition to your family it isn't true to say that all puppies from pet stores will be riddled with health issues. She wasn't from Thailand she was from Holland just for clarification (again I do know about puppy farms, etc, and I know that by buying her we are keeping them in business but I couldn't leave her in the cage!). One thing I do want to say is that whilst Animal World does seem like a pithole they actually have been working with Jumeirah Veterinary Clinic for many years. When you purchase a pet from them you can take them for a full check up at Jumeirah VC at Animal Worlds expense. Dr Michela actually told us that whilst she doesnt support pet shops selling animals they actually do medically take good care of them. Again before everyone jumps at me I am not saying that buying a pet from them or any other shop is the right thing to do I am just giving my honest account of my experience! When we make any more additions to our family we would definitely either adopt from an anmial shelter or seek out an ethical breeder.
Latest post on 01 December 2011 - 04:20
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=165982 http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=165776 http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=166012 Here are three recent ones I've been using as a forum for my soapbox. :D PLEASE do not buy locally...Animal World is up there amongst the MOST vile of the pet shops I ever saw in Dubai. PLEASE do not buy via the internet. PLEASE do not buy from any breeder who won't make it hard for you. If it's easy to buy a pup, you are supporting a vile and cruel industry. On behalf of the dogs, I beg you to research thoroughly and choose wisely. :) <em>edited by Green-ish on 01/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 20:11
Or simply read threads below. Maltese puppy and King Charles Spaniel. All you need to know about Puppy Farms and just how cruel they are. Simply google puppy farm abuse and that should give you an idea of Dogs from Thailand or any where else. People who are prepared to send a small puppy half way around the world without knowing who or what kind of people are buying the poor baby ,are ONLY doing it for the MONEY. Do a bit of research........and then have a look at the local shelters,loads of puppies there.;)
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:23
I'm with Chocs on this one, and after having lived in Thailand for 4 years and seeing first hand what breeders do, or more importantly, don't do, I would not trust them one bit. I'm sure this pet shop only gets the dogs from Thailand because they are a lower price. Go to a shelter and rescue a dog instead.
Latest post on 30 November 2011 - 19:19
Don't even go there. Dogs brought in and sold in pets shops here are likely to end up costing you thousands in vet bills due to unscrupulous breeders. Please please check with the shelters first as there are so many dogs looking for their forever homes.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY