Neighbour's cat is scratching our car bonnets.... | ExpatWoman.com

Neighbour's cat is scratching our car bonnets....

Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 13:34

There was a post recently about cats being annoying which I posted on but can't now find!

We've been in our new villa a month - we're not into cats (DH is highly allergic so is very anti) but he's just told me via bbm that his bonnet is very badly scratched! It can only be our neighbour's cat....

But we can't prove it - both neighbours have cats but I'm pretty convinced it's one particular one that's always wandering through our front garden, and I don't want a falling out!

We have a garage door which is kept closed at night but the side of the garage is open and the cat can get in via our front garden.

What to do without causing unpleasantness. Any ideas before DH comes home and goes next door greatly appreciated!

Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 23:04
thanks sm lol - I am :D I couldn't find citronella spray (Ace and Dubai Garden Centre both tried to sell me candles and/or the stuff that burns in the burners.....) not that we'd have sprayed it on the cars Di - only in the cat's eyes (joke :D) - and couldn't find crystals - any ideas where I can get those please to those who've suggested them?
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 17:22
Well, october, if its any consolation then I think you sound a very nice neighbour! :D
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 15:00
Citronella can casue neurological symptoms in cats, similar to Tea Tree oil which can be fatal particularly for kittens. And I would not put citronella directly on the paintwork of the car either, it could cause staining. Best get the crystals and put them around the vehicle.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 10:22
No it's not that I don't believe you, I'm just incredibly surprised that's all. But as you say if it's small and scrabbling then ok. Cjilli is not a good idea, if it east it, you're going to have some explaining to do about one really sick kitty.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 10:17
I presume the Hmmm means you don't believe me lol, but DH saw it - thanks for the suggestion of citronella - I'd forgotten they don't like that! It's a cute kitty too so we don't want to hate on it! Didn't like the idea of chilli powder below - can just imagine that being walked into the car.....
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 10:12
Hmmm in the meantime spray some citronella, cats don't like that. You can also get cat repelling crystals, which you just scatter on the floor and they give off a smell that is unpleasant to the cat. If you have a car where you can make the alarm go off using the key fob, set that off a couple of times when the cat goes near your garage, that'll soon make is scarper.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 10:08
sorry to disappoint ladies - DH saw it on the car yesterday morning after he got back from the carwash. It was definitely the cat. DH had checked the car post wash and it was fine. As I said, and DH said the same - it's small, it's young, it was scrabbling to get a hold so as not to fall - having seen its attempts to get into our tree it was exactly as I thought and posted earlier! Looks like we'll be fencing in the side of the garage - so any thoughts on where to go to do this would be appreciated - I'm sure ACE has something but we'd like something that will last!
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 08:56
Dewfinitely not the cat! A cat scratching metal is going t be like you running your nail down a blackboard. I've had cats for years, all of them sit on the cars, never been one single scratch, it's just really not possible, plus they'd really have to go some to make a mark in the paint work. Sorry but it's probably the car wash. Don't blame the kitty.
Latest post on 03 December 2011 - 02:23
Any horses around your place? Horses love the metallic car/paint taste and I've seen their raspy tongues do some damage. :D lol <em>edited by Green-ish on 03/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 20:35
I truly doubt the cats claws did this, I've never seen a cat dig its claws into a car, and even if she did she'd have to jump up and down an awful lot of times in half an hour to have possibly caused severe scratching. If it was the cat (and my money is on it being the clean too, depending on the light it might have been less obvious when he checked it) its possible the cat had a collar with a metal bit and rolled around on the bonnet, its the only way I could ever see that damage being cat related. The only realistic way to avoid the cat coming into contact with the car is to buy a fitted car cover or completely gate in the garage. Your neighbours will never believe it was their cat, you have absolutely no proof, didn't see it happen and accusing them will achieve nothing besides making things awkward, I know what attitude I'd take if my neighbour came and knocked on my door with that kind of accusation, not worth the drama!
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 19:44
Get another cat to mark your car as her own territory or spray the both neighbors cats with anti-cat spray!
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 19:39
[img'>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-019.gif[/img'> [img'>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-019.gif[/img'> [img'>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-019.gif[/img'> [img'>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-027.gif[/img'> [img'>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-037.gif[/img'>
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 19:25
I've never had cats scratch paint work off a car and we have always had cats and cars! Are you sure the sponge used for cleaning the car did not have grit on it? The car wash people here tend to use the same cloth with minimal water, it is very possible there was some dirt/grit and the car wash man rubbed it in. Then it only showed when the car was dry? Just an idea.
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 19:02
Let's hear it for the cats! :-P
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 17:51
Chilli powder around the car maybe?? it should keep them away... But we regularly have paw prints on our cars from various neighbourhood cats and have never had scratches??
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 17:46
I hear you ladies - but DH goes round the car after any work/cleaning has been done to check for damage post wash/service, having had my car damaged during servicing at a major dealership here and the added aggro of getting them to admit fault, sort the problem out and respray it (which then had to be done twice as they bodged it the first time). And there were paw prints on the car too.... My car has pawprints all over the bonnet too but fortunately hasn't been scratched (yet). I'm for the route that SueB's suggesting - had already thought of this too. Just don't need the expense though!
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 17:29
Car washed...scratch on car....mmmm any connection there maybe?
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 17:21
I'd be surprised if it was the neighbour's cat - have you caught it "in the act"? In many years of owning and living in neighbourhoods with cats, I can honestly say they never been accused of this type of damage. However, crows have been known to cause similar damage (and eat the windshield wipers) - which I also found strange.
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 16:27
I've also had various neighbourhood cats camping on the bonnet, boot and roof of every car I've ever owned. I've never had scratches from them. Cats are very light-footed, and sure-footed. Were there paw prints on the car? Especially on a clean car, you'll see the dusty paw prints. How was the car washed? I have numerous times had scratches from gritty carwash cloths. ETA (hours later!!) - cats don't jump with their claws extended anyway. It wasn't the cats october. ;) <em>edited by Green-ish on 03/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 15:38
you can try a sliding gate on the open part. You can attach it at night and leave it off during the day. You can have one made like a screen but high enough they cant get over it. Or, ask your neighbours to cut their cats claws. Anyway, talk to your neighbours.
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 13:42
I think it's possibly the getting up bit that's doing the damage - it's a little cat and under a year old - it struggles to climb to get out of our front garden...... happened between DH getting home from having car washed and going out a half hour later! <em>edited by october on 02/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 02 December 2011 - 13:38
Our cats have sat on our cars for years and have never scratched them..not sure it is the kind of thing they would enjoy doing?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY