2 Qs for Lady driving Ford Edge collecting toddler from Little Lands ... | ExpatWoman.com

2 Qs for Lady driving Ford Edge collecting toddler from Little Lands ...

Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 19:31
It makes me laugh that Pomegranate has decided she can pass judgement on what s worth discussing!! Next time someone feels like bringing up a topic you had best check with her!
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 19:06
THanks Redlesley- actually I htink he was just fussing as it had the adjustable part on the side & we checked it when the police had a free check day- they said it was ok for his height at the time. He still tries to pull that trick with me even now!!! kids... I wonder if there is anything like that here, where people can pull in somewhere (petrol station, car park near a school etc) at a given day and be checked if their car seat is properly fitted and not faulty... either free or a small donation to a charity for kids No worries! Actually a free check up clinic in on my plans - I'm in talks with some companies to get it started so keep an eye out for that one ;)
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 19:03
THanks Redlesley- actually I htink he was just fussing as it had the adjustable part on the side & we checked it when the police had a free check day- they said it was ok for his height at the time. He still tries to pull that trick with me even now!!! kids... I wonder if there is anything like that here, where people can pull in somewhere (petrol station, car park near a school etc) at a given day and be checked if their car seat is properly fitted and not faulty... either free or a small donation to a charity for kids
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 18:57
Consistency is the key SkyKitty! What I would also add - if any child is putting the seatbelt under their arm because of comfort then it's usally a sign they are not tall enough and so need a booster cushion.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 18:43
My nephew always gets mad at me because I don't let him ride in the front seat of my car when I'm at home. Until he's tall enough to touch the headrest, then no. I explained why and he says "but mum lets me". TO which I say "I'm not mum and this is not mum's car- what mum does in her own car is her business!!" They now always get in my car in the back, and seatbelts on no fuss. Youngest used to put the shoulder strap under his arm, because 'it's uncomfortable'. I got him a padded seatbelt cover. Whenever he took off his seatbelt as a youngster I'd just stop the car and refuse to drive until he put it back on. In the beginning, I'd be stopping 10-12 times. But it worked!!!! :P
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 15:32
Hi Redlesley, I've been a fan of your campaign for months now! Glad to meet you here! That's an awesome cause to promote! Oh thank you so much! :)
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 14:29
Hi Redlesley, I've been a fan of your campaign for months now! Glad to meet you here! That's an awesome cause to promote!
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 14:22
I cannot FATHOM why anyone would hold a infant in the front seat !!!! another thing i see here alot........ I can and do understand why they do it. They have a completely (and I mean completely) different way of viewing things than you. I have relatives who do it, they know the dangers, and are constantly reminded, but they still do it, we buy them car seats, and they thank us profusely, and they put them in the cupboards. Whatever we do or say has little or no impact, because they see things so so differently. This conditioning, to think this way, has to start from a young age. When I was 18, my Emirati friend had a baby, and refused to buy a car seat, or use one for her baby. Now, that baby has just had a baby, and will not use one either, as she says, she did not need one, so why should her baby? Allah Kareem. ETA: I am not condoning anything, just sain' edited by IAMVP on 06/12/2011 You see this is what I CANNOT fathom! Why oh why would a person not use a car seat ESP when given one and given all the advice for the use of one. IAMVP, what do these people say to support their argument against using them and just cos it wasn't used for them isn't an excuse as far as I'm concerned - but then again there is no argument for the non use of car seats/seatbelts in my opinion! It was also said below that back in the 70s and 80s in the UK/USA etc car seats or even seat belts weren't used. Yes this may be true but there were a heck of a lot LESS cars on the road back then and where I'm from the roads were alot quieter with barely two lanes on them. Here its a different story, 6 lane highways with speed limits of 120/140 km/h not to mention dealing with the every day crazy drivers on the roads along with us. We may deem ourselves to be the most careful drivers on the road but we have no control over other drivers. It was also mentioned below that I should not have put these questions up here and asked the lady directly, well I only noticed this as she sat in a lane beside me waiting for the lights to change and I didn't actually see her at Little Lands. I did try and get her attention but as mentioned she was too busy answering her phone!!!!! Reason for posting here, well she is an Expat and a Woman and I was hoping that she may be a user of this site! I will keep an eye out again at pick ups for her and will say it to the nursery - thats all I can do really, aside from raising awareness here.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:09
I cannot FATHOM why anyone would hold a infant in the front seat !!!! another thing i see here alot........ I can and do understand why they do it. They have a completely (and I mean completely) different way of viewing things than you. I have relatives who do it, they know the dangers, and are constantly reminded, but they still do it, we buy them car seats, and they thank us profusely, and they put them in the cupboards. Whatever we do or say has little or no impact, because they see things so so differently. This conditioning, to think this way, has to start from a young age. When I was 18, my Emirati friend had a baby, and refused to buy a car seat, or use one for her baby. Now, that baby has just had a baby, and will not use one either, as she says, she did not need one, so why should her baby? Allah Kareem. ETA: I am not condoning anything, just sain' <em>edited by IAMVP on 06/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:03
I think a good point has been raised, and serves a purpose. I get disgusted when I see Baby on Board & Child on Board stickers as they are on cars, where women drive whilst constantly chatting on their mobiles..Grr$%&((&^%
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 09:12
It's like any country to begin with, the UAE is in it's infancy and requires time to grow, to be educated and to progress. In the 70's and most of the 80's in the UK we never wore seat belts, it was only when the 'Clunk-Click' campaigns and changes in the laws came into effect that it became common practice. So the same needs to happen here. It will happen, but it does take time. In the meantime, the more those who have the knowledge, can educate and make others aware the better.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 09:08
It is not pointless. In this culture, there is alot of saving face. Alot is usually NOT said, mainly because people feel that certain things, are not peoples buisness, especially child rearing. Alot of people do not say anything- because it is more polite. However, you must tell the school to make a big deal about this. If you want to get it off your chest. I cannot FATHOM why anyone would hold a infant in the front seat !!!! another thing i see here alot........
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 08:59
Maybe like the drunk drivers in our country (USA) who get arrested, the identity AND FAMILY NAME (not just initials and nationality like in the newspapers here) of those who get caught with kids roaming the vehicles should be published for all to see. It does take time in different parts of the world to put public pressure into policy. My understanding is that here only the front seat is required that people wear seat belts. IS THERE A LAW ABOUT CHILDREN? Or only a suggestion? Nothing makes me more angry than seeing the PARENT wearing a seatbelt and not the kids. In the 80's it was normal to not wear seat belts in the USA. I remember riding in the back of my father's pick up truck down the highway! Does that make my father a bad guy? Not really. There just was not a lot of awareness and pressure. Now..he wears a seatbelt himself and would NEVER think to do it. That said, the UAE has an advantage. They have all the research done by other countries for the past 30 years where it has overwhelmingly shown that seatbelts save lives !!! edited by americanfamily3 on 06/12/2011 edited by americanfamily3 on 06/12/2011 There is no law. The law as it is at the moment states front seat passengers should buckle up and children over 10 are allowed in the front. That's it - everyone in the back have no regulations to buckle up. Please see my campaign for more details on what I'm trying to do to make a change. www.buckleupintheback.com https://www.facebook.com/BuckleUpInTheBack?ref=tn_tnmn
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 08:29
Just to be pedantic as that's how I feel today. The thread was described as ''pointless' - yes, 1 word was enough to start a lot of responses - never mind eh? At least it's started a discussion which is the whole point of the thread in my opinion - discussion that means awareness, discussion that might just give someone food for thought or give someone else confidence to say to another person, ''you need to buckle up''. If that makes me one of those women who ''sadly'' respond to threads and focus on 1 word then fine - at least I am responding with something that actually relates to the thread rather than just blithely commenting on the other posters.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 07:50
Please read again. I did NOT say it IS pointless. There is an.....UNLESS you want to vent! What I am trying to say is the Qs for the lady is pointless..... If I had Qs for the lady, I would go up to her and ask and tell her what I thought about what she is doing. Irooni, I do understand how ... these Qs are and do agree that OP should have stopped the other lady instead of posting her message on this forum. And do not worry about the other comments; if you analyze other threads, you will sadly find out that most of the ladies who respond promptly to these sort of posts, focus on 1 single word that has been incorrectly posted instead of focusing on the entire message.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 23:02
Please read again. I did NOT say it IS pointless. There is an.....UNLESS you want to vent! What I am trying to say is the Qs for the lady is pointless..... If I had Qs for the lady, I would go up to her and ask and tell her what I thought about what she is doing.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:45
thanks Crystil
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:44
I posted this thread for 2 reasons ... yes to vent but more importantly in the hope this woman sees it and realises the error of her ways! Redlesley is right, we shouldn't get complacent about this and even though these sort of threads are done to death, if one person sees a thread and makes them think then all the better! Pointless, I don't think so! Its called "awareness" and being part of an ongoing campaign. If bringing such recklessness to the attention of one parent and makes them think, it's working. It is no different than the campaign for breast cancer, which has been going on for years. How many women have said that it triggered something for them to go have a checkup, and how many women were told they were indeed in the early stages? Good for you!!!
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:38
I got back into the car today after stopping at the bank and off we went down SZR. Two minutes later I glanced back at DS and nearly passed out as I realised the little toad had got his arms out of his shoulder straps in his car seat. Cue mad panic till I managed to pull over and secure him properly. When we got going again Dad and I had an interesting conversation on attitudes to safety as we went past a shiny, new, top-of-the-range BMW with two or three small kids bouncing around totally unsecured inside. Venting, pointless, whatever - it provokes discussion and raises awareness. That can only be a good thing.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:27
I posted this thread for 2 reasons ... yes to vent but more importantly in the hope this woman sees it and realises the error of her ways! Redlesley is right, we shouldn't get complacent about this and even though these sort of threads are done to death, if one person sees a thread and makes them think then all the better! Pointless, I don't think so!
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 17:08
Perhaps you could ask the nursery issue a note to all parents regarding the importance of using proper child car seats and restraints.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 16:49
Nice to have a little rant but as you've said, these threads are done to death. If the said lady in the Ford Edge comes forward on this forum to explain her actions, and your questions are answered then great. That's the only decent purpose a thread like this could serve. Chances are though she won't and there will be just loads of posters tut-tutting her to kingdom come. oh, give over. Your lady in the edge, even if she sees this will never come forward and admit it was her...but what WILL happen is that complacent so and so's who think no one knows or care what they do, and that if mr jones and abdul down the road do it, why shouldn't I? will realise, that YES, they are noticed, YES their kids matter to someone, and that general safety IS important. 200 000 unique visitors to this site isnt it? Thats a big difference in someones life if just one person a day reads and takes in the message. Or is that kind of common sense just outdated and hopeless? *yawn* edited by Pomegranate on 05/12/2011
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 16:25
I don't think it's pointless - I think the more attention brought to this sort of thing the better. I get more annoyed over people that say it's not worth saying anything or things will never change or I see this every day blah blah. If we all sat back then nothing would change. If there is the slightest chance this woman sees this thread then good - if not, it may just make someone else think - you never know.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 16:21
who's to judge what's "pointless" ??
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 16:13
Aren't the majority of threads pointless then? Rants about shop assistants, DEWA, landlords, kids falling out of windows etcetec?
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 16:03
Pointless thread, unless you just want to vent. If you feel so strongly about this, maybe you should just speak to her Please read again. I did NOT say it IS pointless. There is an.....UNLESS you want to vent! What I am trying to say is the Qs for the lady is pointless..... If I had Qs for the lady, I would go up to her and ask and tell her what I thought about what she is doing. <em>edited by Irooni on 05/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 15:55
I asked one of the Mums at our nursery why she bothers shelling out for the kids to go to nursery, considering that they will either be dead or brain damaged soon enough by her driving and lack of restraints for them. Needless to say, we don't have coffee together after drop off!
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 15:16
LOL !!! see this all the time...not worth getting worked up about it really. Yesterday i followed a car crawling along with a "child on board" sticker so i just thought they were driving super carefully until i passed and saw the woman chatting on her mobile !!! at least i couldn't see any children in the car lol Can tell a similar story most days lol
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 14:55
Nice to have a little rant but as you've said, these threads are done to death. If the said lady in the Ford Edge comes forward on this forum to explain her actions, and your questions are answered then great. That's the only decent purpose a thread like this could serve. Chances are though she won't and there will be just loads of posters tut-tutting her to kingdom come. *yawn* <em>edited by Pomegranate on 05/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 14:49
1. Why do you let your child sit in the front seat of your car while you are driving (while also on phone at one point) 2. Why don't you put a seat belt on that child? Although I see alot of stupid parents and driving everyday here I never do threads like this but this just made my blood boil. The little boy sitting in the front passenger seat, moving around. We were side by side at traffic lights so I could see he had no seat belt on. I did try and get your attention to gesture the belt (probably would have been ignored and/or told where to go mind) but you were too busy taking a call while taking off at the junction WHILE your CHILD was still unrestrained!!!! Arrrgghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know these threads are done to death but had to get this off my chest!! Rant over for now!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY